2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

hey stevedebi,

Since this thread has been hijacked by two grown, no three, grown men acting like 5 year olds, send me a PM and I will return some interesting info on our last trip to Orlando.
Low RPMS on the way up, High RPMS on the way back. MPG's measured by the actual fill up method.

Sean

Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
hey stevedebi,

Since this thread has been hijacked by two grown, no three, grown men acting like 5 year olds, send me a PM and I will return some interesting info on our last trip to Orlando.
Low RPMS on the way up, High RPMS on the way back. MPG's measured by the actual fill up method.

Sean
Sean-
I sometimes get a trifle "filled up" at certain posts, but I would rather you post your data in the public forum so other people can also learn.

For those truly obnoxious posts I use my "ignore" feature.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 PM

102 F in sunny LA yesterday, and there it was again - about 600 RPMs high, whenever the A/C was running. I thought at one point that perhaps it was AUTO mode, but the effect happens even when the temperature and outlets are controlled manually.

My TPS was correspondingly higher as well, and the MPG hit pushed this tank below 30...

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
102 F in sunny LA yesterday, and there it was again - about 600 RPMs high, whenever the A/C was running. I thought at one point that perhaps it was AUTO mode, but the effect happens even when the temperature and outlets are controlled manually.

My TPS was correspondingly higher as well, and the MPG hit pushed this tank below 30...
I saw this once at 93 degrees last week in my 2009 FEH. Temps are supposed to be in the 80's all week, so it probably won't happen for a few days.

I am able increase instant MPG in the scangauge by backing off on the accelerator. Probably doesn't totally negate the effect, but should help some.

-- Rick

Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM

In my recent trip from Va to Wy with a trailer I found rpms rising as you have noted. I found that bumping the speed control setpoint down to keep rpms below 4000 and then bumping it back up on the other side of the hill helped with mpg.

Seemed that I rarely bumped more than 5 or 6 down & back up. I also turned the AC to recirc at 3500 climbing and then back on again descending.

Seemed to work well for the 2200 miles covered.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM

I wonder if it isn't a combination of high OAT and BRIGHT sunshine.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was going to respond to Willard's misinformation, but I finally had an epiphany from Sean and Steve's comments. I was a willing participant in the dragging of the thread into the gutter. I'm sure you have me on ignore, Steve, but you will notice that I first posted that I thought you had an issue, but then when 09 owners chimed in I acknowledged that the behavior was likely normal.

One of the pillars of my current employer is constructive confrontation and in this capacity I have failed miserably. So I will leave this forum to the FEH and hybrid experts like Willard and Bill who will no doubt continue to post 100% accurate info regarding the FEH and will not bum dope anybody. I will post the answers to the quiz, though, if anybody requests it.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
I was going to respond to Willard's misinformation, but I finally had an epiphany from Sean and Steve's comments. I was a willing participant in the dragging of the thread into the gutter. I'm sure you have me on ignore, Steve, but you will notice that I first posted that I thought you had an issue, but then when 09 owners chimed in I acknowledged that the behavior was likely normal.

One of the pillars of my current employer is constructive confrontation and in this capacity I have failed miserably. So I will leave this forum to the FEH and hybrid experts like Willard and Bill who will no doubt continue to post 100% accurate info regarding the FEH and will not bum dope anybody. I will post the answers to the quiz, though, if anybody requests it.
Wwest is the only one on my ignore list, because he keeps providing "expertise" in a vehicle he doesn't own. Apparently he is familiar with the TMC HSD system, which is similar to, but different from, the FEH. Ford developed their system independent of Toyota, and it has it's own unique characteristics.

I was probably not clear enough in my initial post - I was not intending to say that I had "issues" with the high RPM; I was curious as to if the 2009 model also exhibited this "behavior", which I believe is the correct term - the FEH is deliberately programmed this way, although we don't know why.

I hope that you mean that you will leave this particular topic, not the forum; it is a good place to learn as well as provide information.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
So I will leave this forum to the FEH and hybrid experts like Willard and Bill who will no doubt continue to post 100% accurate info regarding the FEH and will not bum dope anybody.
That would be a loss if you left the forum. Many thanks for SoC on SGII and other contributions!

-- Rick

Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Carl, please don't leave this forum.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands