2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Originally Posted by wptski
Who says that a cool pack is always better? Radio Control car racers use Ni-MH packs and want them still hot before using, either right off the charger or they also use a insulated pouch to keep them warm as possible. Some of their chargers have provisions for timing the finish of the charge to the heats of racing so the pack will be still hot.

Double check this and I think you will find it is LiIon batteries that like it hot.
With LiIon you get the most current output at about 140 degrees F.

The FEH with NiMh gives the most current output at about 95 degrees F.
Interestingly, this is NOT where Ford chose to "keep" the pack.
By choice, I aassume for longevity purposes, they chose to keep the pack in the 60's to 70's whenever possible.

*The pack will heat to 60 and stop, in winter
** The pack will cool to 71 and stop, in summer

Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Double check this and I think you will find it is LiIon batteries that like it hot.
With LiIon you get the most current output at about 140 degrees F.

The FEH with NiMh gives the most current output at about 95 degrees F.
Interestingly, this is NOT where Ford chose to "keep" the pack.
By choice, I aassume for longevity purposes, they chose to keep the pack in the 60's to 70's whenever possible.

*The pack will heat to 60 and stop, in winter
** The pack will cool to 71 and stop, in summer
Do a Google search on "temperature performance of ni-mh pack" or simliar string. As temperature drops, so does capacity and its ability to deliver current in both Ni-MH and Li-Ion.

One point that comes up several times in that search is that you shouldn't charge a Ni-MH pack when its temperature is below 32F and some say higher. What does the FEH do in this case? Run in EV mode till the pack warms?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM

One point that comes up several times in that search is that you shouldn't charge a Ni-MH pack when its temperature is below 32F and some say higher. What does the FEH do in this case? Run in EV mode till the pack warms?
It does a gentle charge, gentle discharge cycle over and over until the pack warms up into the 40's. By gentle, I mean ~10 amps, which is "gentle" for a pack capable of 100 amps when "warm".

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Imported from Detroit

It does a gentle charge, gentle discharge cycle over and over until the pack warms up into the 40's. By gentle, I mean ~10 amps, which is "gentle" for a pack capable of 100 amps when "warm".
What's gentle about 10A on a 5.5Ah pack? In the battery industry that's a 2C charge.

Are you saying that it charges at 100A when warmed which is over 18C? Where do you get your info? The workshop manuals say nothing about charging rates at all.

Last edited by wptski; 07-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 PM

What's gentle about 10A on a 5.5Ah pack? In the battery industry that's a 2C charge.

Are you saying that it charges at 100A when warmed which is over 18C? Where do you get your info? The workshop manuals say nothing about charging rates at all.
When you hit the brakes hard, the traction motor puts 25,000 watts into the battery pack which is about 75 amps. The battery is fused with a 100 AMP fuse. So it does charge at 75 amps, but for maybe 10 seconds at a time only.

When the generator charges, it can be anywhere from 1 kW to 15 kW.
This is public knowlege.

HTH,
-John

Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

When you hit the brakes hard, the traction motor puts 25,000 watts into the battery pack which is about 75 amps. The battery is fused with a 100 AMP fuse. So it does charge at 75 amps, but for maybe 10 seconds at a time only.

When the generator charges, it can be anywhere from 1 kW to 15 kW.
This is public knowlege.

HTH,
-John
Okay, it better be for only a short period of time.

Might be public knowledge but not in the manuals that cover trouble shooting the battery pack.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That 75 amp "surge" might be going into a bank of capacitors and subsequently "metered" into the battery pak.

37 amps if the capacitors are on the high voltage side of the up-converter.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Or, most likely, Willard West is drunk off his stump, and knows very little about how these hybrid cars work!

There are no capacitors used in this way. FACT.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Well, maybe I miss-spoke. I assumed Ford was up to date with the latest HSD technique, at least the 2nd gen, and was using a voltage up-converter to double the battery voltage. In that technique the "regen" puts out twice the battery voltage and first charges a capacitor bank while/then the voltage is down-converted to recharge the batterys.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM

The Fusion Hybrid and Escape Hybrid have two different systems and neither are labeled Toyota's HSD.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands