2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
NO! This is completly false in the 2005 to 2008 models, the rear air door to the outside closes, and already cooled air is recirculated. I see no good reason why Ford would change this for 2009, but I have not personally inspected the 2009 which is largely, the same vehicle.

As for the freon line being not insulated, I don't think it matters.
The "cold" line is the return line going back to the compressor under the hood.
So no "coldness" is "wasted" going to the pack.

When freon is compressed, it is actually hot, not cold, and liquid.
The hot high pressure line goes into the pack's "evaporator" where the pressure is lowered, the liquid vaporizes, and the freon cools dramatically.
The cold line is vapor going back to be liquified again.
Insulation may add little effect, at additional cost.
Recirculating cooled air within the battery compartment could lead to a very EXPLOSIVE situation.

I think you may have just inadvertently stumbled over what has changed for 2009. If cabin air were used, and the driver were for some reason comfortable with no cabin A/C on a HOT day, how would the batteries be cooled....??

Perhaps for 2009 the battery compartment either takes in fresh or cools the cabin air AFTER it flows through the cabin. But then how would cabin A/C recirculate work...??

Last edited by wwest; 07-18-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by wwest
Recirculating cooled air within the battery compartment could lead to a very EXPLOSIVE situation.

I think you may have just inadvertently stumbled over what has changed for 2009. If cabin air were used, and the driver were for some reason comfortable with no cabin A/C on a HOT day, how would the batteries be cooled....??

Perhaps for 2009 the battery compartment either takes in fresh or cools the cabin air AFTER it flows through the cabin. But then how would cabin A/C recirculate work...??
No. The air IS recirculated, but the battery box is not air tight. Any pressure or ( very unlikely gases ) are allowed to vent. Plus, who says these battery cells produce enough gas to worry about? They are nothing like the wet cell lead acid battery under the hood.

Even when your cabin is on "Recirc" your car, any car, any make, is never "air tight". Willard, I must say, you should refrain from posting in this area. Your lack of understanding boggles the mind. Up until recently, only the Japanese cars use cabin air for cooling the battery pack... but those cars have smaller packs.

Last edited by gpsman1; 07-18-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM

It is only the Japanese cars that use cabin air for cooling the battery pack... but those cars have smaller packs.
I normally agree with you John but your statement above is false. The Fusion hybrid uses cabin air to cool the battery also.

"new smaller, lighter nickel-metal hydride battery has been optimized to produce 20 percent more power. Improved chemistry allows the battery to be run at a higher temperature and it is cooled using cabin air "

(ref:http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...ion_Hybrid.pdf)

As for WWEST's statement, the 2005-2008 FEH battery can either use outside air or recirculated air (or possibly a mixture). There is a blend door that controls the air source (ref: known blend door motor issue that several owners on this site, including myself, have had replaced). I'm not sure why recirculating air would be a hazard. The batteries are sealed so unless there was a massive failure, there should be litle danger of explosion from gasses.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes, of course. Due to a major redesign and smaller size, the Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan hybrids are able to "get away with" cabin air cooling.

I wonder if we have any persons on here with a Ford MoCo. hybrid sedan who can get the scangauge to read the internal temperature of those packs.

I wonder if there is that good of cooling, or if they are just allowed to run hotter. I'm going to guess they draw fewer amps, so create less heat in the first place.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Imported from Detroit

Who says that a cool pack is always better? Radio Control car racers use Ni-MH packs and want them still hot before using, either right off the charger or they also use a insulated pouch to keep them warm as possible. Some of their chargers have provisions for timing the finish of the charge to the heats of racing so the pack will be still hot.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Who says that a cool pack is always better? Radio Control car racers use Ni-MH packs and want them still hot before using, either right off the charger or they also use a insulated pouch to keep them warm as possible. Some of their chargers have provisions for timing the finish of the charge to the heats of racing so the pack will be still hot.
I would say this is an apple to orange comparison and has no merit in this thread.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
I would say this is an apple to orange comparison and has no merit in this thread.
Are you talking about Ni-MH battery packs? Are you talking about Ni-MH pack temperature? A fact of life is that a warmer pack performs better. It's just something to think about.

Lastly, are you making a sarcastic remark typical in GreenHybrid towards non-FEH owner or just being plain sarcastic?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM

I see no connection between the operation of the radio control Ni-MH battery pack and the FEH Ni-MH battery pack.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
I see no connection between the operation of the radio control Ni-MH battery pack and the FEH Ni-MH battery pack.
Does a FEH use special Ni-MH cells?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM

No. The air IS recirculated, but the battery box is not air tight.

Recirculate would mean a duct to recapture, "salvage" the pre-cooled air within the battery case and route it back to the evaporator intake. I see no such arrangement for the 2009 Escape.

Any pressure or ( very unlikely gases ) are allowed to vent.

Plus, who says these battery cells produce enough gas to worry about?

Agreed, they do not normally vent gases. But you will NOT find a well designed battery, like an electrolytic capacitor, that does not have a pressure gas release built in. No matter how rare no one would wish those pressure vented gasses to end up in the passenger cabin.

They are nothing like the wet cell lead acid battery under the hood.

Even when your cabin is on "Recirc" your car, any car, any make, is never "air tight".

No, but lots of design headway has been made in the past few years to increase A/C efficiency by restricting cabin air outflow.

Willard, I must say, you should refrain from posting in this area. Your lack of understanding boggles the mind. Up until recently, only the Japanese cars use cabin air for cooling the battery pack... but those cars have smaller packs.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hot Weather High RPMs?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands