2009 FEH broken relay ring terminal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation 2009 FEH broken relay ring terminal

Hi all,
I had just followed some of the informational threads on here to recharge my 2009 Ford Escape hybrid battery, as it sat for awhile and lost charge, not letting me crank the car. To my delight I was able to start the car after a few hours of charging the battery. However, all that excitement and joy has been lost as when I was putting everything back in its place, and I somehow broke off one of the two ring terminals connecting to the relay.

Holding the ring terminal that ripped off the wire

Anyone know what I should do in this scenario? I am devastated, I know it may not be that big of an issue but after spending hours researching how to recharge the battery and building my own charger etc., it was such a relief to get everything running again and then this happened .
My idea was to either order and attach a new ring terminal, or order the whole piece that encompasses the terminals. I tried searching up the letters on the black piece, SH 08RB nichicon but couldn't find anything. If I should attach a new ring terminal, can someone link me to the one I should use? Maybe @S Keith , have any ideas?

Thanks guys

Old 06-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 FEH broken relay ring terminal

Why not just use a Dremel and a small vacuum to cut a piece out of the plastic and then get a new terminal and re-crimp it? Afterward, if you really want to be careful, use some epoxy to glue the piece of plastic you took out back in, or cover the area with electrical tape?

This is high voltage so you should feel inside that area to make sure there isn't anything important in there, with a pair of insulating gloves on, but it just looks like a plastic molding. I am not 100% sure but it looks like it's just a piece of plastic. Make sure the big orange battery lockout is OUT. I'm not an expert nor am I crazy (and I'm not a lawyer) but that's what I would do. Cut the piece of plastic, re-crimp the terminal, glue the plastic back in.

Vacuum the little bits of plastic out and make sure you don't get anything "crossed up." Exercise some caution.

Your Mileage May Vary

Last edited by AlexK; 06-27-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:14 PM

In fact you should only have to cut away enough plastic to let the wire + terminal get back in there. You don't even need to cut the whole area out, you just need to make a "slot" to get the wire back in once you've re-crimped it.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:25 PM

Also: I don't know if the relay can be unplugged and removed, but if it can, you might be able to temporarily remove it, recrimp the terminal and snake everything back in there without cutting anything, then put the relay back in.

Sorry I don't have a better answer but I have never seen one of these up close and personal. Are you sure there isn't some other way to unscrew and temporarily remove the entire black plastic housing/shield?

Last edited by AlexK; 06-27-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:56 PM

Umm... I've personally left the entire relay cover off on my own '05.

IIRC, the ring terminal does not go UNDER the cover, but it goes straight down into the hole. There should be no need to Dremel anything. When installing the relay, raise those leads up and out of the way, slide the relay in place and then drop them into the openings. I could be wrong since it's been awhile since I removed a relay.

Recommend you remove the capacitor unit with the two Torx screws and repair it. Reuse the ring terminal if you can.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I've never BTDT.

A

Old 06-28-2022, 04:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just buy a generic ring terminal and re crimp it. You've got plenty of wire from the look of it.