2008 Rear End Rattle Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 Rear End Rattle Fixed

Just an FYI in case anyone needs to do the same thing I did to resolve a constant metal to metal rattle that occurred when our 2008 FEH would hit any bumps.

I traced the noise to the left rear and figured it was from the brake system or hub area, but discovered it was actually the clamp attached under the chassis that secures the emergency brake cable. Apparently the clamp and whatever held the cable in the clamp were rattling around so I took my channel lock pliers and squeezed that clamp hard enough to eliminate the slop that was causing the rattle, but not hard enough to bind the cable up. Emergency brake still works fine and rattle eliminated.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 03-10-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Rear End Rattle Fixed

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
Just an FYI in case anyone needs to do the same thing I did to resolve a constant metal to metal rattle that occurred when our 2008 FEH would hit any bumps.

I traced the noise to the left rear and figured it was from the brake system or hub area, but discovered it was actually the clamp attached under the chassis that secures the emergency brake cable. Apparently the clamp and whatever held the cable in the clamp were rattling around so I took my channel lock pliers and squeezed that clamp hard enough to eliminate the slop that was causing the rattle, but not hard enough to bind the cable up. Emergency brake still works fine and rattle eliminated.
Hey, we have the same color. Is yours AWD?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Hey, we have the same color. Is yours AWD?
Since we're in sunny NorCal we opted for the slightly better mileage the FWD offered. We came from an 08 Taurus X, so we're more than happy to get almost 100% better mileage now.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Since we're in sunny NorCal we opted for the slightly better mileage the FWD offered. We came from an 08 Taurus X, so we're more than happy to get almost 100% better mileage now.
Wow, small world. I came from a 2006 Freestyle, the same body and engine as the Taurus X, but with the CVT transmission. I test drove the X as well as the FEH, but decided on the Escape.

OK, to test the final weirdness, was your Taurus X grey?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, a light grey or silver with the darker lower side panels. With a tan-ish cloth interior that was horrible to clean dog hair off of. LOL

Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Yeah, a light grey or silver with the darker lower side panels. With a tan-ish cloth interior that was horrible to clean dog hair off of. LOL
Mine was dark upper with light grey/silver lower panels. We had the dark interior. Actually it was a great car, except that we have high curbs in front of my house, and the doors wouldn't open! They have had a lot of trouble with the CVT (as seen on the Edmunds Forums).

I almost bought a Flex last year, but insisted on test driving it to my house. Sure enough, we couldn't open the doors on the curb side. No sale...