2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

Greetings All,
I have had my 2008 ford escape for the last 6 years and its now above 250k miles. So I recently purchased a 2nd 2008 ford escape at auction hoping to score a good deal on a replacement. Unfortunatly when I got it home it was giving the dreaded SSN error (stop safely now). Diagnosis by a local shop said that the TCM/ inverter had gone bad. The quote for $3k had me take it home and do it myself. Then had it towed to the local ford dealership to reflash the TCM unfortunately more issues arose. Now it is giving the error codes P0A1F and P0AE1 both relating to the hybrid battery.

This vehicle sat for easily a year with a dead battery before it was brought to auction. Im guessing that the cells have discharged below the threshold to recharge. I pushed the jump start button 2-3 times with no help.

I am now looking into purchasing a battery from a junkyard and have searched for information on what batteries are compatible with what years. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate anything! I know that passed 2008 they removed the 12v charging of the Hybrid battery. Does that mean I can use a 06-08 battery? Will an 09 work?

any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

You could look through on-line parts resources like Tasca, Fordpartsgiant, even Rock auto. Your local library may have Ford resources available too. I would recommend checking the 12V battery since a weak or bad one can lead to all sorts of flakey issues. With a good 12V battery and a compatible wireless OBDII reader, you should be able to download FORSCAN and run a number of diagnostic tests including the integrity of the main HV battery cells and it's state of charge. Then compare the data side-by-side with your existing good 2008 and research your codes on line as well for more guidance in case you don't get any answers here. What is the dealer mechanic saying - a new HV battery is required?

Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is another thread here detailing how to charge the HV battery with an inexpensive external charger. I would be looking at that. If you buy a used battery from a wrecking yard, it will almost surely be below the start threshold as well.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:05 PM
gsH
Banned

My friend invented a hybrid battery booster for a Ford Escape hybrid. Hybrid batteries are suppose to be lifetime for the car. This booster is on ebay now, and has had tremendous success to start these vehicles, that have batteries that have fallen below 300 volts. Instead of paying for a new battery, you can learn more than ford techs to know more than they do. and once your battery is prepared for the booster, it can be kept long term to save the battery for years more. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Escape...4AAOSwMDhcYbiF. . Go there and see and learn you can be an expert on a very good hybrid battery. Good Luck. DocG

Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Funny that he's selling it for the 2005-2009 models... when the 2005-2008 all have their own "battery booster"...

Old 11-04-2019, 12:51 AM
gsH
Banned

Let's face it I have bought an 07, two 08's, three 09's and the built in booster before 09 did not get the problem solved. They all had to be" Redneck Ingenuity boosted." We are continually trying to upgrade our info and have just come out with our latest booster. It works much, much better and puts the extra amperage where it is needed to get the battery over the hump. With all the units sold across the country for the other hybrids sold, it has been a blessing to help get these autos back on the road. The 09's do not have the built in booster, only previous years before the 09. I am presently working on an 08 and once again the built in booster did not do the job. Be careful, auction gov't vehicles always have more wrong than is stated. My latest purchases included one filled with diesel, and another left open for weeks or months in an Arizona blowing dust storm, and guess what. 1/4 inch dirt everywhere, even in the traction battery. By the way they never mentioned this fact. It only had 29,000 miles, and sounded like a good bet. Not so! The Dept. of AG had this one, and it was smoked in too. Oh No, the gov't said that is not allowed. LIARS!

Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 AM

Nice rip-off. I've charged half that to restore batteries, install a harness and build a charger. $600 + $45 shipping for what can be had for $40 worth of LED power supplies? That's not redneck ingenuity. That's "sucker" marketing.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm a bit dubious myself. That was his first post ever on this board, and it was a sales pitch of sorts.
No big deal if it helps someone with a dead car.

As for the price, not everyone lives near you (S Keith) and is able to take advantage of your service. It may well be that the price covers developing something that is idiot-proof for the non-technical DIYers.

At any rate, there is not enough information on the ebay ad for me to spend $600 on that vs a salvaged battery from a wrecking yard. Is this a battery and a Boost button? Is it a charger?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 PM
gsH
Banned

Where was SKeith, when I first needed you? Would you come to me, or do I come to you? How do people find you if you have such an inexpensive way to deal with hybrid batteries. I did not know about Skeith and his simple money saving tricks? My dead hybrid battery when I included towing, order battery off ebay, put the battery in by ford, was just under 2000. My escape hybrid was an auction item. They did not say it needed a battery, by the way. I had one replaced, and low and behold it just needed to be boosted. If I had known what I know now, I could have saved at least 1500 and brought back the original car battery, which has been done since the booster was invented. I guess under this decision, 600 is much better than 2000. You can also rent the unit, if that be your decision. It's easy to spout negatives when you can only help people within a 150 mile radius. We have been able to help people from New York, to Florida, to Louisiana, to Texas, Arizona, and California. The phone back-up is the best part, and will walk you through all aspects of getting your vehicle up and running. When you go into the battery, there is an umbilical cord that stays on the unit, and can be hooked up in the future, to keep your hybrid topped off, even while you are away. Our unit is on Ebay, and many people who have had no recourse but to buy, an old battery by chance, can now get one of our limited batteries, that has been checked for charge, has a booster with it, and should never have to worry again about a low charged battery again. Many people have never had any background on dealing with a hybrid battery. There only option is to call Ford, and they tell the customer, Looks like you need a $8000.00 battery. Some at that point just let their vehicle sit, or have it towed to the salvage yard. With our boosters on ebay, we have a rating system, of all customers. You can see what they say about it. SKeith, you have any satisfied customers on your site, or is it just your word of mouth?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:35 PM

I was probably here. Perhaps your first post should have been for something besides hawking a gimmick rip-off. I posted DIY instructions on this site over two years ago.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid battery replacement- What Years?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands