2008 FEH, MMH Info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH, MMH Info?

Here is an article dated Sept. 28 that lists some of the cars that will be at the Miami Auto Show. The new Mariner is on the list.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4441727&EDATE=

I also found a Miami-based article written in Spanish that details the new ad campaign for the 2008 Mariner and the different advertising that they are going to be doing in Miami. In it was listed the 2008 Mariner webage. www.drivezen.com You can sign up to be emailed updates. It currently states that it will be 2 days until it is unveilded.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvujeb
In it was listed the 2008 Mariner webage. www.drivezen.com You can sign up to be emailed updates. It currently states that it will be 2 days until it is unveilded.
Cool find! It is interesting that it mentions the new Mariner, but not the new Escape. Though, from yesterday's sales announcement, with Escape sales are down like 16%, but Mariner's are up 27%, maybe Ford plans on continuing to feature/push the Mariner.

The 2008 Mariner is "Zen"? Discover harmony, discover fulfillment, discover tranquility, doesn't quite sound like an SUV to me.

BTW, I find is kind-of humerus that the 2008 Mariner website will be operational in two days, when the regular Mercury website still is "stuck" on 2006.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 AM

I think the difference in Mariner/Escape sales has more to do with raw numbers. the only numbers I've seen show they've sold an incredibly tiny amount of Mariners.... a 27% increase must be something like in the 10's per month... I'm exaggerating but not by much.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
the only numbers I've seen show they've sold an incredibly tiny amount of Mariners.... a 27% increase must be something like in the 10's per month... I'm exaggerating but not by much.
Yea, I was going to mention that Sept sales were up, because I bought one.

However, Mercury is certainly on an advertising blitz focusing on the Mariner. I don't remember the last time I saw an Escape-only commercial on TV.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Another reason the Mariner is specifically being mentioned is that Mercury has high sales figures in the latin community. The Milan is the most popular sedan and sales figures are high for the Mariner in the latin community. I think that is the reason for the push for Mercury and the reason they are debuting it in Miami.

Here is the google translation to the spanish site and the original side:
http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

http://www.boomonline.com/news_pr.php?nid=7158

Old 10-06-2006, 07:44 AM

Here some more info...

"A host of other features elevate the level of sophistication inside Mariner. A new floor-mounted shifter, for example, let engineers remove the emergency brake handle from the center console, freeing up room between the seats; the emergency brake is now engaged with a floor-mounted pedal and released with a handle on the dashboard. "

(I am not sure that making the emergency brake an old fashion foot pedal, is an improvement)

"Mariner Hybrid comes with a 2.3-liter DOHC 16-valve Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine and a permanent magnet AC synchronous motor. The gasoline engine produces 133 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 124 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,250 rpm. The electric motor produces 70 kw @ 5,000 rpm and 330V maximum voltage. The net result is 155 horsepower with 0-60 times comparable to a 200 horsepower V6 engine and a boost in city-driving fuel economy of nearly 75 percent. A smooth-shifting, electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is the only available transmission on the hybrid model."

(That seems the same)

"For 2008, Mariner Hybrid engineers made revisions to software in the control system to improve transparency, or the transition between gasoline and electric operation. The transition from all-electric to gasoline power to a combination of the two is now even more seamless and virtually imperceptible to the driver. Also, the four-wheel-disc regenerative brakes have also been retuned to provide better feel. With the 2008 model year, Mariner Hybrid will be available for the first time with a choice of front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. Previously, the Mariner Hybrid was offered only as a four-wheel-drive model."

(Ah, a two wheel drive hybrid)

Last edited by WaltPA; 10-06-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 AM

that is one ugly center console!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM

They also didn't add any gauges.

So, I assume on the hybrid, we still get just fuel and charge.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hopefully the website will unveil tomorrow with some more info and pics. I don't like changes to the interior at all. I might be able to put up with the guages if the center console looks better with a navigation unit. It looks like I might be shopping for an '07 next weekend.

There appears to be an audio axiliary jack at the very bottom of the console. I'm glad that they at least added that.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Frankly alot of the Ford interiors are ugly these days. I had a Fusion as a loaner and WOW... UUUUUUUUUUGLY console in the middle...

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH, MMH Info?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands