2008 FEH Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking 2008 FEH Mileage

Hey,
Even though I really dislike the new "tough" look of the '08 FEH...Ford contends the new body style is going to gat a few mpg more than the current version. (Text below courtesy of Autobloggreen.com). Of course the other "big news" from the article is the 2008 Escape is now in production.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...-on-2008-hybr/

"If it was just a normal Friday for you today, then you're not an employee at Ford's Kansas City assembly plant, where the new 2008 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner models started production today. Both the Escape and the Mariner will be available in hybrid versions, but even the non-hybrid SUVs will be more fuel-efficient than earlier models. Ford says that mileage rates on the gas-powered versions will increase by two miles per gallon and the hybrid versions get three miles more per gallon. The vehicles will be available a little later in the year.

Ford prez and CEO Alan Mulally said in a speech to workers during the opening that, "Customers want products with striking designs, better fuel efficiency and even better value," and that these hybrid SUVs offer those choices. Ford certainly must be hoping customers take to these vehicles, especially after yesterday's record losses announcement. Ford spent $100 million updating the Kansas City plant to get ready to make the new Escape and Mariner."

Nate

Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: 2008 FEH Mileage

Talking to the marketing director for the FEH at NAIAS, it's not a CD improvement as much as a weight reduction to cause the MPG change. No drivetrain improvements either other than some minor programming changes. (No Li-Ion batteries or anything like that)

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Less metal, more plastic.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From Ford...

"While the actual performance of '08 models will be similar to or better than the '07 models, starting in January, the estimates for city and highway miles-per-gallon (mpg) on all new 2008 model year vehicles will fall. Consumers will likely see estimates fall an average of two to four miles per gallon under the EPA's new calculations."

"For hybrids, which are powered by a gasoline engine and an electric battery, the new city driving estimates could drop 20 to 30 percent."

Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid_SUV
Hey,
Of course the other "big news" from the article is the 2008 Escape is now in production.
This might be of interest too...

2008 Escape and Mariner Production Celebrated at Kansas City Assembly Plant

Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had emailed Ford to find out how the tax credits are going to be effected by the drop in EPA fuel economy due to the new testing. Based on their response, I'm assuming the credits are computed using the fuel economy from the old testing methods.

Ford said that according to their resources, the tax credits for the 2008 Escape and Mariner will be $3000 for the FWD and $2200 for the AWD. I'm hoping this holds up as I am planning on ordering a 2008 FWD Mariner Hybrid this month.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: 2008 FEH Mileage

Originally Posted by WaltPA
From Ford...

"While the actual performance of '08 models will be similar to or better than the '07 models, starting in January, the estimates for city and highway miles-per-gallon (mpg) on all new 2008 model year vehicles will fall. Consumers will likely see estimates fall an average of two to four miles per gallon under the EPA's new calculations."

"For hybrids, which are powered by a gasoline engine and an electric battery, the new city driving estimates could drop 20 to 30 percent."

This doesn't bother me as long as it is consistant for all vehicles. The EPA estimates have been a joke for years now. At least the FEH is somewhat close to the EPA estimates. It always burns me up when I see some huge SUV that claims to get 19-20 mpg on the highway (and something like 12 mpg in the city). A buddy of mine has an Xterra....not that much bigger than my FEH...but gets 13-15mpg. UGH.

My old 2001 Escape v6 was rated 18/24 with AWD. (That was back when there were few compact crossovers with v6 engines...I think the Escape was about the only choice vs. a larger thirtsy Explorer). I got 23mpg ONCE....on a level road with cruise at 60mph, no load, and a tail wind. Most of the time I struggled to top 20mpg...even on highway trips. Loved the everything about the Escape except for the FE...so that's what drew me to the FEH.

Anyways, I always look at greenhybrid for a more accurate estimate. But it will be interesting to see if the "actual" user mileage of the 2008 FEH goes up a bit or not. We'll have to wait until the '08s hit the streets to find out.

Nate

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: 2008 FEH Mileage

Originally Posted by wvujeb
I had emailed Ford to find out how the tax credits are going to be effected by the drop in EPA fuel economy due to the new testing. Based on their response, I'm assuming the credits are computed using the fuel economy from the old testing methods.

Ford said that according to their resources, the tax credits for the 2008 Escape and Mariner will be $3000 for the FWD and $2200 for the AWD. I'm hoping this holds up as I am planning on ordering a 2008 FWD Mariner Hybrid this month.
That would make sense with a couple of mpg increase...given that the 2007 model year credit was $2600 and $1950 (I believe if my memory is right).

On another note...Does anyone know how many FEHs/MMHs have sold? I'm eyeing that "60,000" unit for the credit phaseout...I may be convinced to trade my wifes car in for a new FEH in the next few years. (Unless the democratic congress gets serious and gives a true incentive to dump the gas guzzlers. i.e. extention or even increase in the hybrid tax credits)

Well...I answered my own question... See the press release from the IRS below...
------------------------------------

IR-2007-22, Jan. 31, 2007

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service announced that purchasers of qualified Ford Motor Company vehicles may continue to claim the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit. Also, four qualifying 2008 Ford hybrid vehicles were announced.
The announcement comes after the IRS concluded its quarterly review of the number of hybrid vehicles sold. Ford sold 5,645 qualifying vehicles to retail dealers during the quarter ending Dec. 31, 2006. This brings the total number of Ford qualifying hybrids reported to date to 22,156.
Purchasers of Ford’s qualified vehicles may continue to rely on the previously issued IRS certifications concerning the vehicles’ qualification for the credit. However, those seeking the credit should remember that the full credit may be available only for a limited time.
The credit amount and make and model of previously certified vehicles sold are:
  • Ford Escape 2WD, Model Years 2005, 2006 and 2007 — $2,600
  • Ford Escape 4WD, Model Years 2005, 2006 and 2007 — $1,950
  • Mercury Mariner 4WD, Model Years 2006 and 2007 — $1,950
IRS also certified additional 2008 Ford vehicles for the following credit amounts:
  • Ford Escape 2WD Hybrid Model Year 2008 — $3,000
  • Mercury Mariner 2WD Hybrid Model Year 2008 — $3,000
  • Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid Model Year 2008 — $2,200
  • Mercury Mariner 4WD Hybrid Model year 2008 — $2,200
Taxpayers may claim the full amount of the allowable credit up to the end of the first calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer records its sale of the 60,000th vehicle. For the second and third calendar quarters after the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold, taxpayers may claim 50 percent of the credit. For the fourth and fifth calendar quarters, taxpayers may claim 25 percent of the credit. No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter.

-----------------------------------------

Nate

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM

On the tax angle, something to keep in mind is the AMT. A good article on this is "Hybrid tax credit bait and switch".

Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Also, the tax credit isn't based just on a hybrid vehicle's own gas mileage....rather how the hybrid vehicle mileage compares to the same or similar "gas only" version of the vehicle. Assuming that all vehicle MPG estimates decrease, the credit should remain the same. If certain hybrids take more of a 'hit' with the new calculations than their gas-only counterparts then we may see a change in the credit amounts.

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands