2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Escape or 2008 Mariner - pros and cons?

Originally Posted by Doug121041
Each Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealer that has been authorized to sell hybrids must have at least one qualified service techician on staff. That means a certified service technician who has been sent to Dearborn and received extensive training on the hybrid powertrain technology. And since the FEH and MMH share the same powertrain, it makes no difference whether you take your hybrid to a Ford or L/M dealer.
Possibly, there is a difference between trained and experienced. One can have a trained hybrid-certified mechanic on duty, but that mechanic might not have much experience in debugging a difficult problem in the hybrid drive system.

BTW, we have several Ford-Mercury dealers around here.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Possibly, there is a difference between trained and experienced. One can have a trained hybrid-certified mechanic on duty, but that mechanic might not have much experience in debugging a difficult problem in the hybrid drive system.

BTW, we have several Ford-Mercury dealers around here.

No question about the fact that there is a difference between trained and experienced. And when it comes to hybrids even the most experienced technician has only been working on hybids for 3 years. But the great thing about it is that these trained hybrid technicians all have a "hot line" phone number available to call in Dearborn to talk directly to the folks who designed the hybrid powertrain. How do I know this? Well, I've had my MMH exactly one month and I've already had the experience of having to have my main battery pack replaced. Needless to say, that required some high level consultation with the folks in Dearborn to approve the $8,000 new battery pack.

I might also add that what started the whole process was the fact that the "Wrench" light went on my dash. And also, the original diagnosis that the problem was in the main battery pack was made by a technician at a Ford dealer who was not even trained to work on the hybirds (their hybrid technician was off that day). So I'm quite satisfied with the quality of service that I've received, both from the Ford Dealer and also from the Lincoln/Mercury dealers.

BTW: when the Wrench light was on, I experienced no "driveablility" issues whatsoever. If the light had not been on I would not have known there was any problem. I still don't know exactly what was wrong with the battery pack. All I know is the battery pack has been replaced and the Wrench light is no longer on!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Something is fishy. $8000 for a new battery, but the whole Hybrid costs $3000 more than a regular car?

Ford must get PAID money for installing all those other parts from Japan.
Lowering the cost of the "car" down to under $20 grand
What a deal... .

Originally Posted by Doug121041
Needless to say, that required some high level consultation with the folks in Dearborn to approve the $8,000 new battery pack.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Something is fishy. $8000 for a new battery, but the whole Hybrid costs $3000 more than a regular car?

Ford must get PAID money for installing all those other parts from Japan.
Lowering the cost of the "car" down to under $20 grand
What a deal... .
If one priced out all the parts as replacement parts, I think even a gas-only would cost far more than MRSP of the vehicle itself, no?

I think the $8K includes installation which, with the freon lines, isn't trivial.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Ford is glad to see you're considering the 2008 MMH / FEH. Both vehicles are currently in production. As others have stated your choice comes down to what appeals to you and availability as cargo space is virtually the same. Also, every Ford or Mercury dealership that sells hybrid vehicles is required to have a Ford trained and certified hybrid repair technician on staff. The hybrid technology is the same in both the Mariner and the Escape.

Both vehicles are eligible for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Tax Credit which may be as high as $3,000 for the FWD versions. For more information, go to www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml.

If you want to provide vehicle design feedback on Ford or Mercury products, please visit www.customersaskford.com and enter "feedback". Good luck with your purchase.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by fomocona
If you want to provide vehicle design feedback on Ford or Mercury products, please visit www.customersaskford.com and enter "feedback". Good luck with your purchase.
How come that site has dead links? Like that for Mustang ring tones, http://fordmobile.mqube.us/cars/mustang/ ???

Usually, when a website doesn't bother to keep its links current, it has been abandoned, discarded, and/or simply ignored.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
How come that site has dead links? Like that for Mustang ring tones, http://fordmobile.mqube.us/cars/mustang/ ???

Usually, when a website doesn't bother to keep its links current, it has been abandoned, discarded, and/or simply ignored.

I'm sorry if there was any inconvenience but I appreciate you letting me know. I assure you that customersaskford is not being abandoned. As you know, unfortunately, sometimes dead links fall through the cracks and don't get removed in a timely manner. From what I've gathered the ringtone provider is no longer operating their site for this item. I've advised our webmaster that this link is no longer valid and it will be removed from the customersaskford site within 24 hours. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 AM

MMH vs FEH = deeper pockets and a bit of elitism....