Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   2006 Escape Hybrid: Catastrophic Engine failure @ 65,000 miles (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/2006-escape-hybrid-catastrophic-engine-failure-65-000-miles-22393/)

dlucarelli 08-16-2009 06:02 PM

2006 Escape Hybrid: Catastrophic Engine failure @ 65,000 miles

My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid has experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' @ 65,000 miles.

The good news? No one was hurt when the engine failed @ 70 MPH on the highway. I was able to safely stop the vehicle without injury or crash.

The not-so-good news? The repair is $6,500 for installation of a remanufactured engine. Ford will NOT cover the repair costs.

I have maintained the vehicle very well (to the point of a complete oil/filter change every 3,000 miles). I do not understand a complete engine failure at only 65,000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced engine issues with their Escape Hybrid? If so, please post or forward - I need anecdotal stories in my discussions with Ford in my attempt to convince Ford to fund the repair bill.

Billyk 08-16-2009 06:27 PM

Re: 2006 Escape Hybrid: Catastrophic Engine failure @ 65,000 miles

Do you have a code reader such as the scanguage II unit to read possible "codes"? This is the first I have heard of an engine failure in this vehicle. What exactly failed?

Bill Winney 08-17-2009 05:09 AM

So what failed? Loss of oil? Piston crown crush? Connecting rod failure?

…And what did Ford cite as their reason for not covering the failure?

MyPart 08-17-2009 06:57 AM

From what I could find on Edmunds, the 2006 FEH had the following warranties:

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
Hybrid Component: 8 yr. / 100,000 mi.
Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi

Since you're past the drivetrain portion's 36,000 mile warranty coverage and you didn't mention purchasing an extended Ford warranty, I don't see why Ford would cover this failure. It's sad that it happened but mechanical failures do occur and Ford only agreed to cover the ICE for 3yr or 36,000mi (whichever comes first) under the purchase agreement.

You are only the second owner I've read of with a ICE failure and the other one was due to operator error (ran without oil).

Bill Winney 08-17-2009 08:14 AM

Despite what “mypart” posted you should ask for a definitive response from Ford.
A truly catastrophic failure at this mileage, absent owner abuse, is a bad sign for Ford.

Ask them, clearly, concisely, and directly. Don’t be bashful.

MyPart 08-17-2009 09:50 AM

My post was to assist in setting a realistic expectations for the OP.

There should be NO expectation that Ford replace the ICE free of charge after the stated warranty has long expired. Ford assumed the failure risk for the first 36,000 miles. It is up to the owner to bear the remaining risk (or mitigate that risk by extending the warranty with Ford, up to 100,000 miles, or some other third party, up to possibly unlimited mileage).

That said, in no way am I suggesting that the OP shouldn't question Ford and get answers as to what might have happened. I would also encourage researching any avenues wherein Ford may have known this specific failure might occur and did nothing to address it.

There's NO way a single reported ICE failure over the more than 60,000 FEH out there can be construed as a "bad sign for Ford". If there were a bad design flaw or parts defect specific to the FEH ICE, there would be much more than one reported incident on this board, especially since this board is dedicated to and extremely sensitive to any and all things good and bad within the FEH.

Bill Winney 08-17-2009 11:48 AM

I appreciate your opinion…

Now back to the issue at hand… should dlucarreli approach Ford for some assistance?

Well, yeah, depending on the failure. So lets let him tell us just what he means by
“catastrophic” failure, then maybe we can get on with doing something productive and
figuring out whether there just might be a basis in there somewhere.

dlucarelli 08-18-2009 04:57 AM

I was traveling on the highway @ 65-70 mph, when I started hearing a whine - similar to what a failing belt sounds like. I disengaged the cruise control, the sound diminished, then all warning lights on the instrument panel lit up: the red triangle "Alert", a "Stop Safely NOW" on the instrument panel, and all yellow alert icons. Tachometer went to zero. Temperature was normal.

I coasted to a stop, shut the vehicle off, waited a minute or two, and attempted to start the engine. The engine sounded like you were stirring a wooden box of rocks.

The vehicle was towed to a hybrid-certified Ford dealer. The dealer said that a "catastrophic engine event" occurred, and surmised that something internal to the engine broke off and ruined the engine. "The only option is to replace the engine". They installed a remanufactured engine - repair bill = $6,500.

I have maintained this vehicle over and above the Ford recommended maintenance schedule. (e.g. oil changes every 3,000 miles) The engine SHOULD NOT FAIL @ 65,000 miles. Ford is sticking to their "The extended warranty expired @ 60,000 miles; Too bad" story.

When I purchased the vehicle in July 2006, Ford extended the powertrain warranty to 5 years / 60,000 miles for all remaining 2006 model year Escape Hybrids, to match the powertrain warranty on the early 2007 model year Escape Hybrids. I drive 20,000 miles per year - 70% highway, 65 mph, cruise control.

It is interesting to me that:
* The remanufactured engine has a better warranty than the original (3 years / 100,000 miles).
* The dealer secured an engine (on a low production vehicle with a unique engine) in only three days.
* The Escape "Atkinson style" engine - available ONLY on the Escape Hybrid and unique to this vehicle - is not considered part of the hybrid technology and not covered by the warranty extensions on the transaxle, electric motor or battery.

glennb 08-18-2009 06:14 AM

It would be beneficial to know the root cause of the failure. Then you may be able to connect the cause to a "workmanship" issue or a "design flaw"(unlikely unless the 'event' has been seen in other motors). That would be the ammunition that would help you approach Ford. Is it the Corp. Customer Care folks that you have contacted? Or are you just getting the word of the Dealer Service Dept. All consideration is eventually approved by the Corp. folks.

Unless they gave you credit ($) for the "core" of the old engine, you still own it and it is yours to take and have investigated - or at least threaten to have such done. I would at least make it sound like you are going to pursue that angle.

Was the replacement engine "remanufactured" ('used') or was it new? I believe the basics of the Mazda designed 2.3L engine were (are) used in a lot of Ford/Mazda vehicles. Not a lot of changes were needed to make it fire on the Atkinson cycle. And not much argument that the engine mechanicals are hybrid-specific.

Good luck. Register you situation with the Ford Corp folks if you haven't already.

wwest 08-18-2009 08:52 AM

"...not a lot of changes.."

Mill the heads to get a 13:1 static compression ratio and use a different intake cam shaft/profile so the intake valve remains open for a portion of the compression stroke thereby reducing the effective CR to 10:1.

Sounds as if the timing belt/chain failed. $6500 should have been a new engine IMMHO.

Red 08-18-2009 08:55 AM

Without knowing what failed, we can only guess at the problem. Ford sent out a notice to dealers that some aftermarket oil filters had check valves that disintergrate and clog oil passages, causing the engine to lose lubrication. If you had the root cause of the failure, that might give you support to go back to the place that did your oil changes. Did they really replace your filter when they did the oil change? What filter did they use? What oil did they use (meet the Ford spec)?

The time to have gotten Ford participation in the repair was before it was done and paid for, but that is water over the dam now. Your selling dealer might go to bat with Ford for you - sounds like the repairing dealer had no equity in your case.

Perhaps you can contact the dealership and ask them what failed. (Lack of lubrication is almost always owner responsibility).

dlucarelli 08-18-2009 09:02 AM

I agree: determining the root cause of the engine failure is important. That said, I STILL have a $6,500 unexpected ownership expense that I believe should be borne by the Ford Motor Company.

I am pursuing ALL avenues:
* Ford Customer Service (800-393-3673) is not helpful at all. Even a Supervisor is not authorized to escalate the issue.
* Ford Credit does not care if the vehicle is working - or not. "We are a bank, and have no interest nor leverage with Ford." I DO give them credit for suspending loan payments for three months while "I work it out with Ford".
* I have filed an official complaint with the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration. My view is that an engine failure @ 65 mph is a safety issue.
* I did not get any credit for the engine core, so the suggestion of a third party investigation is a good one. I expect to ask the dealer to not allow Ford to examine the engine without compensation.
* I am considering legal action with a firm that specializes in defective product issues.
* The dealer where I purchased the vehicle is attempting to escalate through their Zone Manager network. This holds the most promise.

Right now, I am in the dark: the engine failed whilst enroute to vacation, and has been repaired at a dealer 170 miles from home. When I pick the vehicle up late this week, I expect to have a face-to-face conversation with the Service Manager.

Sorry, folks, but I am NOT a Ford Hybrid fan. Replacing an engine @ 65,000 miles is not my definition of "reliable", and Ford's "Too Bad" cavalier treatment of this customer compounds the issue. My best advice: do not purchase a Ford Hybrid product. Second best advice: If you do, insist on a 7 or 10 year, 150,000 mile drivetrain warranty, and factor those costs into your purchase decision.

MyPart 08-18-2009 09:13 AM

I would think that a loss in oil pressure would send an alert to the computer (and light up a warning on the dash light) long before a catastrophic failure would occur. At least that's how all the cars I've ever owned have worked. When I had an oil pump fail, the gauge and light responded in less than a second.

I'm in the camp that says the timing belt broke and probably took the head, valves, pistons and cylinder walls with it, but that's pure conjecture going off the reported symptoms (mainly the squealing belt sound).

I do have a bit more sympathy now that we hear Ford extended the powertrain warranty to 60,000 miles and this happened at 65,000. That's far closer than the 65,000 to 36,000 mile jump before.

I think pictures of the old engine would help further diagnose the failure.

dlucarelli 08-18-2009 09:27 AM

I had no warning before the dash warning lights lit up and the tachometer tanked to zero, other than a few seconds of whining belt sound. I didn't even have enough time to change lanes in preparation to stop the vehicle. I don't think the computer knew anything was wrong until whatever broke, broke.

MyPart 08-18-2009 09:44 AM

Still sounds like a timing belt failure to me.

Red 08-18-2009 10:00 AM

Who did your maintenance? What products did they use?

If it turns out that someone used products that don't meet the Ford specs, you might want to talk to your oil changer.

Have your selling dealership call the repairing dealer to get the cause of the failure. One service guy talking to another may get to the root of it. If they found sludge, disintergrated oil filter material, etc. that would put you on another track. You might want an oil sample from the failed engine also.

dlucarelli 08-18-2009 11:22 AM

All oil changes were performed by the same Jiffy Lube near my home. More than half were performed by the same service technician. They used manufacturer-recommended and approved oil filters, and PennZoil 5W30 - the recommended viscosity. (I have to believe PennZoil exceeds all manufacturer specs, including Ford.) I have full and complete maintenance records for every oil change - at an average of 3,400 miles between each. (Well above Ford's recommended 5,000 mileage interval).

(Why Jiffy Lube, you ask? When I went to the Ford dealer to schedule the first oil change @ 1,000 miles, the first appointment available was six days out, and would take more than an hour. In 2006, Jiffy Lube was the only third-party service company that had Ford-recommended and approved oil filters for the FEH. I checked. And stayed loyal to Jiffy Lube.)

Red 08-18-2009 02:22 PM

Oops, Pennzoil 5w30 doesn't meet the Ford specs for your vehicle. Did they recommend that to you?

May not make any difference but depending on what caused the failure, you might want to have a discussion with Jiffy Lube.

dlucarelli 08-18-2009 02:26 PM

"Pennzoil 5w30 does not meet the specs for your vehicle"?

Can you please provide more details? This is indeed news: I specifically requested "manufacturer specified and recommended" oil.

Billyk 08-18-2009 02:55 PM

5W20 is the Ford specified motor oil, not 5W30. Do you have any copies of the work done at Jiffy Lube that can vertify they used 5W30?

There is no timing belt in the 2005-08 Escape Hybrid despite what the Toyota rep stated in this thread.

Bill Winney 08-18-2009 03:36 PM

This engine is made with a Ford Duratec Block. It does not have a timing belt, it has a timing chain.

The duratec block extends to other designs and the Atkinson cycle feature is implemented by the intake valve lobe design and timing setup. Aside from that this engine block is just like any other duratec block, head, and engine.

In fact you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the FEH 2.3 L engine and the non-hybrid 2.3 L engine unless you could see the transaxle arrangement.

So if this is an oil filter issue, it will have happened on other non-hybrid 2.3 L engines. If its a timing chain issue it will have happened on other 2.3 L engines, not just the Hybrid version.

I doubt that the specific weight of oil (eg 5w-30) has anything to do with the failure so long as it was a reputable oil brand.

The cartridge for the OEM oil filter unit does not have the rubber back flow preventer feature that disintegrates. That doesn't mean that something in the filter didn't fail and clog a passage.

In the end someone has to take this engine apart and autopsy it so that we can speak knowledgeably. Until that happens Ford holds all the cards.

I agree that an engine failing at 65k is extraordinary. Whatever you say to Ford should begin and end with how extraordinary it is that their 2.3L Duratec engine could have failed at so low a mileage!

econoline 08-18-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by dlucarelli (Post 209381)
"Pennzoil 5w30 does not meet the specs for your vehicle"?

Can you please provide more details? This is indeed news: I specifically requested "manufacturer specified and recommended" oil.

Owners manual for my '07 states: "Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark."

That Ford spec calls for 5W-20, but I seriously doubt that 5W-30 oil could cause the engine failure you experienced. My one experience with a quickie oil change place and my FEH was that they failed to sufficiently torque the oil filter housing and it loosened and dumped a quart of oil on the garage floor, several thousand miles after the change. That might have resulted in a catastrophic engine failure had it happened at speed. Turns out they didn't have the torque spec or the tools for the job.

If I was in your situation I would have that engine torn down by a good independent shop and find out exactly what went wrong. First part of that tear down would be draining and measuring how much oil is in the crankcase.

Jiml 08-18-2009 07:37 PM

For what it's worth, the Ford WSS-M2C930-A spec means that Jiffy Lube should have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. If they used the wrong weight of oil, that's strike one. If they used the wrong grade of oil (non-synth), that's strike two. Shux, I don't have a strike three.

glennb 08-18-2009 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 209389)
Owners manual for my '07 states: "Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark."

That's right, proving you used American Petroleum Institute, API "SM" should put to rest any arguments over the quality of the oil. (see attached) The weight of the oil is not a "meeting the specs" issue.

econoline 08-18-2009 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jiml (Post 209396)
If they used the wrong grade of oil (non-synth), that's strike two.

Synthetic oil isn't required. The owners manual also says

"Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory."

Jiml 08-19-2009 05:25 AM

Okay, let's start with this quote again: "Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford Specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark." I read this as being inclusive of both the API SM spec, and the Ford spec, not one or the other.

While use of a synthetic is not mandatory, meeting the spec is. In this case, if Jiffy Lube was using Pennzoil products, only the Pennzoil Platinum (synth) is listed as meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A.

Bill Winney 08-19-2009 07:09 AM

This discussion about the oil spec is akin to a discussion of “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

It wasn’t the issue from the beginning and it distracts from the real answer. If the oil was put in by Jiffy Lube, you can bet their corporate lawyers have an appropriate defense to any attempt to assert that their oil was inadequate.

Hopefully this engine will get autopsied and then we can participate in some thoughtful and accurate discussion.

econoline 08-19-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bill winney (Post 209419)
this discussion about the oil spec is akin to a discussion of “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

it wasn’t the issue from the beginning and it distracts from the real answer. If the oil was put in by jiffy lube, you can bet their corporate lawyers have an appropriate defense to any attempt to assert that their oil was inadequate.

Hopefully this engine will get autopsied and then we can participate in some thoughtful and accurate discussion.

+1

jworth 08-19-2009 01:50 PM

Good luck, but unless you have deep pockets and are just so determined, there's no point in paying someone to tear down and diagnose the engine. Even then, you may not know why. Let's say it spun a couple of rod bearings. OK, so now you know specifically which part failed, but you still won't know why. You *might* find a smoking gun, but I doubt it. Ford has no legal liability here. They have very little PR liability either unless you can show that there have been several if not many failures due to the same thing. I know it'll piss you off to no end, but I don't see how it's worth it to pursue this to the very end.

08hybridok 08-19-2009 03:18 PM

Just my $.02, 65K is very young for a castarophic failure, obviosly it's not the engine, at least on a large scale, as there are how many out there, and how many well past 100k, including the taxi fleets.
Maybe, possibly, on a chance, jiffy Lube could be at fault, wrong oil (5w20 vs 5w30, really that's gonna seize up an engine?) but maybe wrong filter, maybe filter worked loose and drined on the highway. I'd hope for a warning before sudden failure tho.
I on a fence, on owners side the ICE is a Hybrid only componet as they don't use the same engine on any other vehicles, but as we also learned so is the battery AC actuator, not in any other type of vehicle, but not covered by the hybrid warenty.
As an owner I know I'm at fault, I should check oil level frequently, currently I might do it every 6 mos, or before a long trip, bad I know.

I'd hope for more than just a it's busted you need a new one from a dealer, esp on an entire engine! I mean maybe ok if they say that heater blend doors is stuck, we'll replace the entire "box" a $100 box vs a $25 door pls 3x the labor. But an engine can be rebuilt, or at least they used to.

I'd think for $6500 you could find an entire salvaged escape somewhere (rear end damage maybe) and swap the engine out, and sell off other parts and pay lots less.

I know on a vacation it's more of 'get it done' attitude then lets take a look at it.

But how many users on this board alone are over 65k?

Good Luck, hopefully someone can say what failed exactly. Until then it's all speculation

Bill Winney 08-19-2009 06:00 PM

jworth… It doesn’t piss me off, I don’t really care whether he has it autopsied or not. His*money, his engine, but I would like to learn something from this if the details ever come to light.

But the bum dope being put out should be countered (consider the guy who was in the “failed timing belt camp…”). The discussion about specs and 5w-20 vs 5w-30 weight oil is a canard that distracts from people learning from this.

Unless someone looks at just what really failed, the rest of us just won’t have a clue as to what happened or how to avoid it. So far there is just no info as to the failure mode.

Has the remaining oil in the sump been checked? What did the oil filter element look like? Each of these simple, no cost checks would speak directly to the root cause. There’s a*few others that might be done like pulling off the valve covers and just looking at the vale train.

The engine is clearly not a unique hybrid component, as I mentioned in a post above, it is a standard Ford Duratec block and so on.

If there truly was no operator error then Ford could be asked to bear some responsibility at this low mileage, but that has to be established.

gpsman1 08-20-2009 07:50 PM

I really HATE statements such as these, and thus tend to dislike persons making them.

If you are not a Ford Hybrid fan, then why did you buy one?
You do not understand the definition of "reliable". One catastropic failure per every 100,000 built is the very definition of reliable. Your one failure out of one purchased does not change how reliable the car is.

You are saying "I found a worm in an apple, so I'm not ever going to buy apples ever again, and I suggest no one else ever buy apples either."

You had BAD LUCK. Nothing more. If it happens to me, I won't be happy about it, but 2 failures out of 100,000 won't make me bash Ford either.
There are FEW things in life with such reliability as the FEH.
Do you know the Space Shuttle has a 1 in 100 catastrophic failure rate???*

*( I consider each new launch to be a complete rebuild, as it nearly is. Otherwise, you could say it has a 40% failure rate. )

Originally Posted by dlucarelli (Post 209321)
* I am considering legal action with a firm that specializes in defective product issues.

Sorry, folks, but I am NOT a Ford Hybrid fan. Replacing an engine @ 65,000 miles is not my definition of "reliable", and Ford's "Too Bad" cavalier treatment of this customer compounds the issue. My best advice: do not purchase a Ford Hybrid product. Second best advice: If you do, insist on a 7 or 10 year, 150,000 mile drivetrain warranty, and factor those costs into your purchase decision.

GeoMike 08-20-2009 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 209612)
. . . You had BAD LUCK. Nothing more. If it happens to me, I won't be happy about it, but 2 failures out of 100,000 won't make me bash Ford either.

AMEN. Agree. It's hard to be the 1 or 2 people out of 100,000, for sure, but that's the way it goes statistically.

I had problems with my new 1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 gearbox, which had to be replaced. Bad luck. But the replacement (under warranty, lucky me) lasted another 17 years.

Bill Winney 08-21-2009 05:39 AM

Short of a design flaw, for which Ford would be responsible, YOU make your own luck.

Routine maintenance is just too easy and it has gotten simpler. On my first car I changed plugs and points every 10k miles and oil & filter every 3k miles. Now all you have to do is change oil every 10-12k and plugs out to 50-100k…

These engines have been around for over a century, the basic design is simple, and the assembly line process that puts them together is well established. Based on your failure to provide any substantive info on the failure I have concluded that this has to be operator error.

I had hoped credible info would be forthcoming on this failure. Since it has not and you have let the speculation roll, I can only conclude that there is clear operator error involved.

Have fun in court, without clear responsibility on Ford’s part you haven’t a chance.

Have a nice day!

dlucarelli 08-21-2009 12:28 PM

"I had hoped credible info would be forthcoming on this failure. Since it has not and you have let the speculation roll, I can only conclude that there is clear operator error involved."

Folks, credible information has not come forth because there is no new information available. The vehicle is 170 miles from home and, for me, arranging to pay for a $6500 repair is not something I can accomplish in a day or two. Please forgive me: Concluding "operator error" without facts sounds like speculation.

Here are known facts: Oil/filter were changed, on average, every 3400 miles with a national, reputable brand. The longest interval between oil changes is 4,000 miles, 20% better than Ford's recommended 5,000 mile interval. Every recommended maintenance was performed at or before the recommended service interval. The vehicle was traveling @ 65-70mph on cruise control when the engine failed. I'm having trouble understanding 'operator error' with these known facts.

I expect to drive 170 miles and pick up the vehicle in six days or so. Then I will have a face-to-face with the service manager, look at the failed engine and perhaps tear some of it apart for a look-see. Then I will have more facts to share.

My real issue is not the failed engine. I've had vehicles with poor history and expensive repairs before. However, in all of those cases, when out of warranty, the dealer and manufacturer were willing to examine what happened, examine the service history, and make a decision whether to assist with the repairs - or not. Most of the time, they have assisted due to my habit of 'over-maintaining' vehicles I own. Ford has not done this. Their Customer Service Center examined one fact: 65,000 miles, and concluded "Too bad. You're on your own". Whether you believe the vehicle is reliable - or not - do you want to experience this type of customer service long term?

OK, you're right. I do have an issue with a catastrophic engine failure. Answer honestly: If your FEH experienced a catastrophic engine failure only 5,000 miles out of an extended warranty, would you remain an enthusiast of the vehicle, or the brand, or the company?

Bill Winney 08-21-2009 01:56 PM

Engines don't just fail out of the blue. I've spent a career operating propulsion plants and I've done my share of "root cause" investigations.

This engine is a known design.

For the engine the key features that make it an Atkinson cycle engine are really minor in the big scheme of things and there is nothing in the design of this engine that is specific to the hybrid role of the engine (eg the Atkinson cycle design could be applied to any engine).

Remember the scene out of the Movie "The Right Stuff" where Gus Grissom is trying to explain how the "hatch just blew" on Liberty Bell 7? In the end he couldn't even get his wife to believe him...

Well, a car with 65k on the odometer doesn't just fail out of the blue. One feature of this car is the lack of an oil pressure gauge. I don't like that.

The one time I had a loss of oil pressure on my Suburban I knew something was up because the oil pressure gauge was bouncing around for several minutes. So when it went fully to zero and lit the warning light I was already alerted and stopped the engine immediately with no damage (I was on an interstate)(& yes I do oil analysis and this was confirmed by oil samples)(96k miles ago).

This was a major loss of oil. The serpentine belt idler pulley bearing had seized shredding the belt. The belt then cut an oil hose that caused the engine to pump itself down. When there was no more oil the light came on. But as I noted I had warning.

In the case of this car you will have no warning.

I have to wonder, did you leave the filler cap off the engine, could the oil filter cap have been loose? I suspect that the dealer you took it to called Ford immediately and told them what they saw. My inference is that it wasn't pretty and Ford has responded to whatever was said.

So have detailed discussion with the dealer when you pick up your FEH, take notes as to who said what, get names as to who did the inspections and courteously let them figure out you're looking at going after this (they won't want to be in the middle of it).

Take a digital camera and take pics of the old engine before you take custody of it. This is unlikely to be an issue: but verify the serial number of the engine and make sure it was what came out of your FEH.

Get the mechanic that did the removal and assessment of condition to talk with you and answer questions. Don't get distracted with the oil spec & weight, that is a bs side discussion with no future. If Jiffy Lube has any responsibility it will be for something like not properly tightening the filter cap leading to loss of oil.

Get them to give you all parts removed from your engine & car.

As the saying goes... rotsa ruck.

Red 08-21-2009 02:00 PM

The 800 number customer service reps don't have the authority to authorize Ford participation. All they can do is refer your concern to the dealership. Had the concern happened and the vehicle taken to your selling dealership, they might have gone to bat for you with Ford, up front, once they understood the nature of the failure. You said they were trying to help with the zone manager, so I give them points for that.

For the most part, dealerships are given a pool of money they can spend on after warranty adjustments. They have to decide who gets the help. If you did not do your service and maintenance work with them, they have little incentive (except perhaps your future vehicle purchases) to spend the money on your vehicle.

But until somebody determines what caused the failure, it is not fair to say Ford has not done what they need to do. If your lubrication specialists decided they didn't really need to replace the filter, since it wasn't in stock, or they used an oil that didn't meet the Ford specification, etc. your issue might be with them. Signs of improperly spec'd products or lack of maintenance would include sludge, gallded bearings, disintergrated or plugged filters, oil galleys plugged, etc.

I suggested you have the service manager at your selling dealership call the service manager at the repairing dealership to determine the cause of the failure. I will add, have your oil change place call them also, since, if lack of lubrication caused the problem, they might stand for a portion of the repair cost.

I know a lot of people feer like they purchased their vehicle from "Ford". They purchased it from a dealer that bought it from Ford. (Just like all auto companies.) The dealership is charged with the responsibility of managing the ownership experience and given lots of tools to help do that. There are zone managers and field service engineers that assist dealerships in the processes, but the dealership is their primary customer.

If I were in your situation, I would ask if a Ford field service engineer could examine your engine and report on the findings. Especailly if the issue is with your oil changer.

glennb 08-21-2009 02:13 PM

Dan -

You may want to post your experience on blueovalforums.com and see what kind of advice they give you there. There is a specific forum for "open letters to Ford management".
IMHO there is a 99% chance that your failure was not hybrid technology related (1% chance the PCM s/w was to blame?)......but nobody else knows that. All Ford needs to realize is that you will be out there spreading the word that you had a complete failure of your hybrid drive train at 65k....not the best publicity for a company trying to hype their new hybrid models (all with the same drive train as in the FEH).

Good luck, but don't hate on the hybrid technology....it's still in your vehicle ready to operate with a new ICE.

08hybridok 08-21-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by dlucarelli (Post 209639)
"My real issue is not the failed engine. I've had vehicles with poor history and expensive repairs before. However, in all of those cases, when out of warranty, the dealer and manufacturer were willing to examine what happened, examine the service history, and make a decision whether to assist with the repairs - or not. Most of the time, they have assisted due to my habit of 'over-maintaining' vehicles I own. Ford has not done this. Their Customer Service Center examined one fact: 65,000 miles, and concluded "Too bad. You're on your own". Whether you believe the vehicle is reliable - or not - do you want to experience this type of customer service long term?

OK, you're right. I do have an issue with a catastrophic engine failure. Answer honestly: If your FEH experienced a catastrophic engine failure only 5,000 miles out of an extended warranty, would you remain an enthusiast of the vehicle, or the brand, or the company?

Sadly these economic times are tight for everyone, including companies. Free/reduced things of past years is not happening these days. Just look at my job at an airline. Used to get things free, like food, blankets, bags, water, etc. Even my own airline that still has free bags has started charging for things that used to be free, we hope to find the fine line that keeps up in the black, yet won't lose to many customers.
So what Ford used to do (or any company) is not necessiarily the things they will do today when every single penny counts!

Would I be pissed if my FEH breaks just after warrenty, or even long after warrenty? Hell yes! Will I be blaming Ford, standing on a soap box telling the whole world to never buy this piece of crap technology from this crappy company because ONE vehicle failed outside of warrenty (long after factory warrenty) and the manufacter refuses to pay for it? I would not.
Look at the posts about the battery door actuator failing, it seems several happened at the same time (different years) and it is not covered by the Hybrid warrenty. Luckily for those out, it was only a $200-$300 repair, not a $6500 one. Did they all start screaming this thing sucks!

Sorry this has happened, hope noone else has this problem, and more imporantly hope we find out what failed!
I still can't believe a service manager can't or won't tell you what they know by phone! Or that you agreeded to a $6500 repair w/o seeing the problem pointed out in person or a 2nd opnion. maybe this Ford dealer is a bad one that rips people off, just like in the movies, 1000 miles from anywhere, they can charge what ever they want.

I had my Falcon in last year for a few hundred dollars of repairs, wound up paying $1200 by the time it was over, but I called other shops before agreeing to the work to compare rates.

wwest 08-21-2009 07:51 PM

Bad luck...only....??

maybe.

Remember that DC-10 that crashed in Iowa and made the United pilot a hero...?

When they found the compressor "wheel" (in a cornfield) that had caused the crash they discovered a "void", origin of the failure, in the metal that had been there, undiscovered, since the part was manufactured.

Absent an analysis who's to say...??