The 100 MPG Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The 100 MPG Escape Hybrid

Oh, I am in the SF Bay Area (Menlo Park), so if they'd like to take photos or measurements of my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, they would be more than welcome. They can send me a private message here or tell me who I should call/contact.
I'd love a 'plug-in hybrid' . . . but unless someone can change the software for the Escape, there really isn't much choice because I can't keep it in EV mode unless I drive less than 25 MPH.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The only reason there's some sort of limit on the speed you can go in EV mode is the spin of the small motor/generator (sun gear of the PSD) so above a certain speed the engine has to turn over to prevent damage to the small motor/generator. It depends on the gear ratios used in the vehicle, and I haven't seen the details of the FEH, but you can get an idea of how this limit comes into effect using the Prius Simulator link in my signature.

Another thing to consider in general with hybrids is that ALL the energy comes from the ICE, eventually. So it's not necessarily more efficient to draw power from the battery to move the vehicle (especially at higher speeds) because at some point it's going to have to fire up the ICE and replenish the battery charge. This involves more losses than simply running the ICE to generate electric power that then powers the big electric motor to move the vehicle until it's moving fast enough for the ICE to power the wheels directly.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwa
The only reason there's some sort of limit on the speed you can go in EV mode is the spin of the small motor/generator (sun gear of the PSD) so above a certain speed the engine has to turn over to prevent damage to the small motor/generator. It depends on the gear ratios used in the vehicle, and I haven't seen the details of the FEH, but you can get an idea of how this limit comes into effect using the Prius Simulator link in my signature.
Well, that's a bit disappointing to hear. I was hoping to be able to increase the EV speeds with a hacked ROM. But if it is a physical gear issue, I guess I'm SOL.

Another thing to consider in general with hybrids is that ALL the energy comes from the ICE, eventually. So it's not necessarily more efficient to draw power from the battery to move the vehicle (especially at higher speeds) because at some point it's going to have to fire up the ICE and replenish the battery charge.
Well, remember that this thread is discussing a plug-in hybrid that could get electric power from the grid. (And I could make that clean energy since I plan on installing a solar power array on my roof . . . . I did so at my last house and I plan to do it again.)

This involves more losses than simply running the ICE to generate electric power that then powers the big electric motor to move the vehicle until it's moving fast enough for the ICE to power the wheels directly.
I'm not sure I understand that sentence. You seem to be saying that there is some minimum speed that must be obtained before the ICE can power the wheels. I don't think that is true, I think it can always power the wheels. Having the ICE generate electricity to power the electric motor for powering the car would seem very inefficient.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM

The M/G is ALWAYS connected to the ICE through the PSD. It is a very rare instance where the ICE motive power is not partially routed through the M/G, and this does have transduction losses. This is the cost of keeping the ICE within a much better efficiency range than other hybrid designs at low power demand states.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dagman
I'm not sure I understand that sentence. You seem to be saying that there is some minimum speed that must be obtained before the ICE can power the wheels. I don't think that is true, I think it can always power the wheels. Having the ICE generate electricity to power the electric motor for powering the car would seem very inefficient.
The ICE connects through the power split device, and it's torque is permanently split approximately 70/30 with the wheels and the generator. So at all times about 70% of the engine torque is applied to the wheels, but when the vehicle isn't moving 0% of the power is being applied to the wheels, rather it's all going to the generator, which in turn powers the large electric motor/generator attached to the wheels. As the vehicle speeds up more power from the ICE can be applied to the wheels directly because the ICE is outputting about what the vehicle needs to move along. Because there are no gears to multiply up the torque of the ICE (like any 'normal' vehicle) it cannot directly apply much power to the wheels at lower speeds, so the large electric motor (with torque to burn) does all the hard work of getting the vehicle moving until the ICE can take over.

It's not the most efficient situation, but neither are torque converters in automatics, or step gears, or real CVTs... There's always some kind of loss in a system, and this is where it happens in this eCVT/PSD type transmission.

I'm sure my explanation is just confusing, so I suggest checking out this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/M...OnAsIDrive.htm
even though it's about the Prius I, it's the same setup in the FEH.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

PHEV conversions

MakeModelNotesPart No.Avail.Price $OrderFordEscape25 miles, pioneerEscape06-PHEV-25-pnrTBA36,000Pre-orderToyotaPrius '04-'0615 miles, pioneerPrius04-PHEV-15-pnrNow24,000OrderToyotaPrius '04-'0630 miles, pioneerPrius04-PHEV-30-pnrNow32,000Order
Prices subject to change without notice. Taxes are additional.

Here is another one but OMG !!! look at the price you could buy another Escape for that.

www.hybridsplus.com

Last edited by pra12456; 02-20-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: I left out info
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM

Well, the Hymotion kit seems like it might be cheaper when it comes out. The Hymotion Prius kit is around $10k for a 5kWh pack. They haven't released their 12kWh kit for the Escape yet, but since it is a 12kWh pack it is likely to be twice the price....so maybe $20k-$24k? Last I heard from Hymotion (in late Oct), the Escape kits were only being sold to fleets but they expected to begin sales to the public in about 3 months which would be around this time.....

I think the big difference between the two companies is that Hymotion leaves the factory battery intact and adds a supplementary battery, whereas Hybrids Plus seems to remove the factory battery and uses only the LiIon pack.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I have spoken with the folks below. ( Hybrids Plus ) The "price" is theoretical at this point... since they are working on their first conversion right now with grant money for a state project.

Each plug-in battery pack needs to be hand-crafted, ( not to mention the charger, which is standard 110v AC ) which is very labor intensive. Also many custom-made components need to be manufactured. ( temperature probes, voltage probes, etc. ) Once everything is "road proven" parts can be mass-produced, and costs will come down dramatically. I hope to have a chance at field testing one of the first or second Lithium battery packs, since I live in the neighborhood. ( crossing my fingers! )

Since I can get 54+ MPG ( regularly ) in warm weather with the stock battery, I'm QUITE sure 100+ MPG will be possible with the additional plug-in power.

The deceptive part is, you will need "ideal" driving conditions. Short commutes will not benefit much. All the car's systems will still need to warm up with gasoline. Highway driving may not benefit at all. Air-Conditioner use ( gasoline powered ) will keep your MPG closer to stock results. Trips in the 10-40 mile range, no A/C, with speeds that never exceed 39 MPH will benefit most. This is definately a "niche" device, for a "niche" driver.

-John

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

Dude,,, how are you getting that MPG with a stock Escape... what am I doing wrong. 29.6 best tank I have gotten

Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

Some of us suspect that since he (gpsman1) is in Colorado, he probably drives down hill (both ways ), drafts alot, or since he is the "FEH Technologist", probably has some new gizmo on his system that he is not telling us about (like a big magnet with a tow rope!).

If you use the techniques described in the FAQ, with a lot of discipline, you can significantly increase your miles per gallon, but it takes practice and patience.

I've had my FEH almost a year, and am still learning new tricks to increase my mileage. In very cold weather, I've learned to get my hybrid battery temp up to 15 deg C by using Low Gear.

Quick Reply: The 100 MPG Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands