1 Month with my 2008 FEH: My Experience So Far

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default 1 Month with my 2008 FEH: My Experience So Far

Howdy!

About a month ago I replaced my 10-year-old Trooper with a used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with about 26K miles on it. (It was an Enterprise rental car.) I wanted a small SUV and I wanted a hybrid, and the Ford Escape was the only reasonably priced option. So far I'm getting 30-32 mpg in town and a little less on the highway, and I'm still learning all the high mileage driving techniques -- thanks for all the tips here!

I've brought the Escape to the dealer already for some warranty work. The yellow wrench light came on twice and there was a persistent rattle in the back. Both issues were fixed, and here's what they said about the check engine light:

"E29 has come on 2 times
Faulty blend door actuator
Performed EEC test, replaced aux mode door actuator,
reprogram traction control module as per TSB072512"

This was a little confusing, since the owners manual said this light meant there was a problem with the drivetrain. But the blend door actuator is part of the climate control system, right? This seems to be a common problem -- a quick google search found LOTS of remarks about Ford blend door actuators failing. Also, the 2008 FEH does not have traction control, does it?

About the rattle, they said:

"Performed rattle diagnosis, adjusted rear door striker, and insulate"

That seemed to take care of the rattle. Anyway, other than those issues things are great so far. I'm hoping the FEH lasts as long or longer than my Trooper!

Mikael
Austin, TX

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1 Month with my 2008 FEH: My Experience So Far

"..Does not have traction control, does it?..."

There is NO modern, late model, FWD or F/awd vehicle in the market today that does not have TC, Traction Control.

To dangerous, 'WAY to dangerous..!!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
There is NO modern, late model, FWD or F/awd vehicle in the market today that does not have TC, Traction Control.
Thanks wwest! I thought I remembered a feature of the non-hybrid 2008 Escape that the hybrid lacks. It was the stability control system, not traction control.

So my FEH has Traction Control, great! I've never owned a modern FWD vehicle. Does this mean that if one front wheel loses traction and starts to spin, then power will be sent to the other? Like the limited-slip differential on the rear axle of my old Trooper?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: 1 Month with my 2008 FEH: My Experience So Far

Originally Posted by wwest
"..Does not have traction control, does it?..."

To dangerous, 'WAY to dangerous..!!
Once again, Willard has fallen off his rocker....

The 2005 thru 2007 Ford Escape Hybrids
DO NOT HAVE TRACTION CONTROL!

On a patch of snow or ice, you can mash the accelerator pedal and the tires will spin at unlimited RPM. ( this is not recommended by the way, and occasionally, this will make the car throw an error code )

Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikaelb
Howdy!

About a month ago I replaced my 10-year-old Trooper with a used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with about 26K miles on it. (It was an Enterprise rental car.) I wanted a small SUV and I wanted a hybrid, and the Ford Escape was the only reasonably priced option. So far I'm getting 30-32 mpg in town and a little less on the highway, and I'm still learning all the high mileage driving techniques -- thanks for all the tips here!

I've brought the Escape to the dealer already for some warranty work. The yellow wrench light came on twice and there was a persistent rattle in the back. Both issues were fixed, and here's what they said about the check engine light:

"E29 has come on 2 times
Faulty blend door actuator
Performed EEC test, replaced aux mode door actuator,
reprogram traction control module as per TSB072512"

This was a little confusing, since the owners manual said this light meant there was a problem with the drivetrain. But the blend door actuator is part of the climate control system, right? This seems to be a common problem -- a quick google search found LOTS of remarks about Ford blend door actuators failing. Also, the 2008 FEH does not have traction control, does it?

About the rattle, they said:

"Performed rattle diagnosis, adjusted rear door striker, and insulate"

That seemed to take care of the rattle. Anyway, other than those issues things are great so far. I'm hoping the FEH lasts as long or longer than my Trooper!

Mikael
Austin, TX
When they wrote "reprogram traction control module," they should have written "reprogram the traction battery control module" which is what the computer for the High Voltage battery is called (TBCM).

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure if I recall Traction Control even on my 2008 AWD...

Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, after a little research, several web sites confirmed that the 2008 FEH does not have Traction Control. From http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/06...escape-hybrid/:

The hybrid has regenerative braking that is blended with the friction braking. The electro-hydraulic brake system which is used to provide this functionality only has ABS with no traction or stability control making this the only SUV in the Ford lineup lacking that capability.
Too bad!

Last edited by mikaelb; 02-03-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

The 2009 FEH has Ford's AdvanceTRAC with Roll Stability Control. The 2005-2008 models did not have this feature.