'09 FEH Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: '09 FEH Techniques

Originally Posted by GaryG
That's true, but you get a 9,999mpg Instant MPG reading also to confirm fuel-cut.

GaryG
No, that's exactly backwards.

9999 MPG is the result of your TPS / cutoff setting, and is NOT an indication of fuel-cut by itself. If the cutoff setting is grossly incorrect, you will get false 9999 MPG readings at the wrong times.

True fuel cut indication would be doing it "the long way" that Carl discussed, which I assume, no one else is doing. ( I'm not )

The SG "cheats" and makes certain assumptions.
Getting the cutoff number "ideal" reduces the chances of false readings.
But it's all small potatoes really. But persons like yourself who count every drop and every 0.1 MPG may be interested in this. It's no big deal, I would guess, to the general public.

Having the cutoff value too high yields 9999 MPG during heavy throttle conditions. I feel we ( Gary, Carl, Me ) discussed this in length a year ago.

I was just asking a simple question of how the ideal cutoff number in the 2009 compared to the 2005. Leave it to Gary to make a simple question difficult.

wptski- Open Loop + a low throttle ( user defined setpoint ) makes the SG assume fuel cut, whether it is true or not. The SG does not directly detect fuel cut.

HTH,
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-29-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Yep, that's mentioned also but I don't know why Open/Closed Loop is even mentioned!
Notice when you go EV you also get Open-Loop? The SGII needed to be programmed for Fuel-Cut because more and more people were complaining that their vehicle had fuel-cut. The Inventor Ron Delong came up with the programming about 3 years ago and used Open-Loop as one verification of Fuel-Cut from the PCM. Sure, you have open-loop during warm-up and WOT and that does not cause the SGII to register fuel-cut because the SGII uses other PCM signals in addition.

Carl and Ron Delong live in Phoenix so Carl got together with Ron and this is why we now know how to program SoC and so may other gauges. Carl is our resident expert on the SGII and the man to ask the questions too. We all owe him a big thanks for what he has done for us FEH and Ford owners.

GaryG

Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Imported from Detroit

Gary:

Hey, no where on the SG-II box or elsewhere does it say "For Hybrids Only" I have a FE and just got the SG-II to check the 4WD thing out and right now it's not even in my FE.

John:

The manual says that it's set to a Default which works with most vehicles, so CutOff is enabled right out of the box.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Gary:

Hey, no where on the SG-II box or elsewhere does it say "For Hybrids Only" I have a FE and just got the SG-II to check the 4WD thing out and right now it's not even in my FE.

John:

The manual says that it's set to a Default which works with most vehicles, so CutOff is enabled right out of the box.
I don't know where I said "For Hybrids Only" but I did say Ford owners which includes your AWD FE. You are posting in the GH FEH/MMH forum and that's OK with me but my main interest is the FEH. Ron has made it clear to me that the Scangauge is a generic gauge for most vehicles and now hybrids from December of 2005.

Now, plug the SGII into your OBDII connection and set-up your vehicle and enjoy. Tell us if you have fuel-cut and the engine and transmission you have. Every vehicle I drive including non hybrids, I hypermile and use my Scangauges.

Carl has gone out of his way to answer your questions but I don't know what the hell your getting at now.

GaryG

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Imported from Detroit

Gary:

This is what you asked? Notice when you go EV you also get Open-Loop? Well, the ICE shuts off and that means fuel usage goes to zero.

I'm not positive if it will or not but I don't think that a FE will show a Open Loop while coasting. If Fuel Cutoff shows up in the Loop Status this is something new. If not, it pertains to Hybrids only.

Carl is talking about EV TPS. Again, a FE here. I shall have to look if the meaning of Open/Closed Loop has changed from what is used to mean.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Fuel cut is open loop operation by definition. Open loop does not mean only warm-up or WOT - fuel enrichment can and does happen at less than WOT and a warm engine. The SG fuel cutoff parameter is the TPS setting at which anything below this combined with open loop will result in no fuel usage assumed by the SG. If you set it to the EV TPS reading like John suggested you will never see fuel cut. The EV TPS in my 2005 is 12 and I have seen 11 in a 2006. All that being said true fuel cut in my 2005 is very uncommon. I figured out the bus message (not PID) that the PCM sends to the IC that indicates fuel flow and it doesn't go to zero that I can see except for ICE spin up when MxC is decreasing or zero.
I did find find info on the fuel enrichment at less than WOT. The Google search on Fuel Cutoff found nothing but references to the SG and hypermiling and nothing about a connection to O/C Loop. Do you have a link about "Fuel cut is open loop operation by definition"?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Gary:

This is what you asked? Notice when you go EV you also get Open-Loop? Well, the ICE shuts off and that means fuel usage goes to zero.

I'm not positive if it will or not but I don't think that a FE will show a Open Loop while coasting. If Fuel Cutoff shows up in the Loop Status this is something new. If not, it pertains to Hybrids only.

Carl is talking about EV TPS. Again, a FE here. I shall have to look if the meaning of Open/Closed Loop has changed from what is used to mean.
Lets back up a minute because you have the gas Escape and not the FEH. As far as I know the '09 FEH/MMH is the only Escape with aggressive Fuel-Cut to date. This means you will not see open-loop coasting or complete fuel-cut. Complete fuel-cut requires the transmission to hold the idle and the only Ford 6 speed automatic so far I know that does this is the V6 '10 Fusion. The 2.5L '10 Fusion is getting Fuel-cut later this year or in 2010.

"Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-off. The 3.0-liter V-6 also regulates its gas consumption by using aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off for an efficiency improvement of approximately 1 percent. When the driver releases the accelerator pedal to slow down, the system temporarily turns off the fuel. The flow of fuel seamlessly resumes when the vehicle reaches a low speed or when the driver accelerates again. The system uses the transmission to keep the engine running at a low, more efficient operating point whenever possible. This system will be added to the 2.5-liter lineup later in the 2010 model year."
http://media.ford.com/press_kits_det...ection_id=2858

GaryG

Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I did find find info on the fuel enrichment at less than WOT. The Google search on Fuel Cutoff found nothing but references to the SG and hypermiling and nothing about a connection to O/C Loop. Do you have a link about "Fuel cut is open loop operation by definition"?
I thought it was fairly clear that you can't have closed loop control when you're not injecting any fuel. It is not a hybrid thing; many gas vehicles have DFCO and it is always open loop. DFCO was initially done for emissions reasons, the fuel economy is a side benefit. In my wife's minivan DFCO occurs on long downhill grades and the SG (and the Mastertech 3100) always shows open loop. On my '96 T100 there are two fuel cut modes, one is pure FC and the other is tau FC where the injectors are very briefly opened at long intervals to avoid too much oxygen into the catalytic converter. These modes are described in the factory shop manual. Look at the wikipedia for OBD-II PIDs and read the description for Mode 01 PID 03 that is loop status. A returned value of 1 indicates open loop due to fuel cut or fuel enrichment. Better yet read SAE J1979 document on OBD-II.

Last edited by DesertDog; 06-01-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by DesertDog
I thought it was fairly clear that you can't have closed loop control when you're not injecting any fuel. It is not a hybrid thing; many gas vehicles have DFCO and it is always open loop. DFCO was initially done for emissions reasons, the fuel economy is a side benefit. In my wife's minivan DFCO occurs on long downhill grades and the SG (and the Mastertech 3100) always shows open loop. On my '96 T100 there are two fuel cut modes, one is pure FC and the other is tau FC where the injectors are very briefly opened at long intervals to avoid too much oxygen into the catalytic converter. These modes are described in the factory shop manual. Look at the wikipedia for OBD-II PIDs and read the description for Mode 01 PID 03 that is loop status. A returned value of 4 indicates open loop due to fuel cut or fuel enrichment.
Carl:

I was going to post back that I was giving the fuel cutoff some thought. You'd have go Open Loop for a fuel cutoff or the O2s would sense this and throw a code.

I don't know yet if my '09 FE has any kind of fuel cutoff.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Lets back up a minute because you have the gas Escape and not the FEH. As far as I know the '09 FEH/MMH is the only Escape with aggressive Fuel-Cut to date. This means you will not see open-loop coasting or complete fuel-cut. Complete fuel-cut requires the transmission to hold the idle and the only Ford 6 speed automatic so far I know that does this is the V6 '10 Fusion. The 2.5L '10 Fusion is getting Fuel-cut later this year or in 2010.

"Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-off. The 3.0-liter V-6 also regulates its gas consumption by using aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off for an efficiency improvement of approximately 1 percent. When the driver releases the accelerator pedal to slow down, the system temporarily turns off the fuel. The flow of fuel seamlessly resumes when the vehicle reaches a low speed or when the driver accelerates again. The system uses the transmission to keep the engine running at a low, more efficient operating point whenever possible. This system will be added to the 2.5-liter lineup later in the 2010 model year."
http://media.ford.com/press_kits_det...ection_id=2858

GaryG
Gary:

Not sure if my '09 FE does the fuel cutoff for sure. I have noticed a few times under the right conditions while coasting down and getting back on the throttle, a flat spot where it almost feels like the engine has died! Don't know if this is fuel cutoff or some other issue.

Quick Reply: '09 FEH Techniques

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands