'09 FEH SGII Settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Default '09 FEH SGII Settings

'09 FEH SGII Settings
After 10 months of tank fills I finally got a match setting with my last tank fill. The Nav sys tank average on that tank was 56.4mpg and the Sgii was 54.2mpg. This was on a 733 mile tank driven in ~20 days. One Sgii was set at 14% = 54.3mpg and the other was set at 14.2% = 54.2mpg with fuel-cut at [6]. Gas pumped was 13.505 gallons which worked out to 54.284mpg. Speed is set at +1% and the Sgii tank distance was 3 miles short at 730 miles.

The '09 FEH is the first vehicle I've had to adjust the tank percentage like this and I do not have any idea why. Ford did add a new 190 pin Pcm and my guess is that it's causing a problem with the SGII.

GaryG

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: '09 FEH SGII Settings

Linear Logic claims that there are no problems with the '09 Fords!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gary,
I am not sure I really understand what you mean by adjusting the SGII. Can you help me better understand this please? I use my SGII just as Wayne programmed it for me before he sent it to me and I have not made any adjustments to it. I reset my NAV system and my SGII at every tank and I record my gallons and price paid at the pump for every tank in the SGII but that is the only thing I ever adjust on the unit. Is there something else I should be doing? My Nav currently shows 37.7 and my SGII shows 35.8 for my current tank at around 365 miles. The way I have read the various comments it appears that the NAV always runs 3-5% higher than the SGII so I just thought that was within the 'normal' range of deviation. Sorry if my comments sound ignorant, but I guess I am on this topic

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
'09 FEH SGII Settings
After 10 months of tank fills I finally got a match setting with my last tank fill. The Nav sys tank average on that tank was 56.4mpg and the Sgii was 54.2mpg. This was on a 733 mile tank driven in ~20 days. One Sgii was set at 14% = 54.3mpg and the other was set at 14.2% = 54.2mpg with fuel-cut at [6]. Gas pumped was 13.505 gallons which worked out to 54.284mpg. Speed is set at +1% and the Sgii tank distance was 3 miles short at 730 miles.

The '09 FEH is the first vehicle I've had to adjust the tank percentage like this and I do not have any idea why. Ford did add a new 190 pin Pcm and my guess is that it's causing a problem with the SGII.

GaryG
You might try setting the fuel cut to zero on one of the scangauges in order to eliminate the feature altogether. Another possibility is that Ford is actually using lean burn under light loads now that they have a lambda sensor instead of the narrow band oxygen sensor. If this is the case then fuel flow will never be able to be measured correctly with the present SG software. As long as mode is still CANSF then the new PCM will have no problems with the SG. An xgauge to display A/F ratio for a lambda equipped vehicle is as follows:

TXD: 07E00134
RXF: 044145340000
RXD:2808
MTH: 05BC00010000
NAM: A/F

You can actually select this for two of your gauges on the same SG. One of the displays will be blank, but the other will update at a much faster rate due to the request being sent twice as fast. If you see the A/F value spend much time above 15 at light ICE loads, then you have some sort of lean-burn going on. EDIT: this might be equivalence ratio and not lambda, in which case numbers below 14.68 would indicate lean.

Actually, seeing Patrick's post lean burn is probably not the reason if he is seeing worse numbers on the SG. Perhaps the fuel cut parameter was disabled. Patrick, what fuel cut setting does your SG have?

Last edited by DesertDog; 05-06-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: saw Patrick's post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know how to do that off hand and will have to look when I can get out of the office. How do I verify that to ensure I grab the right data?

Last edited by Green Lantern; 05-06-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: left out words
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
Gary,
I am not sure I really understand what you mean by adjusting the SGII. Can you help me better understand this please? I use my SGII just as Wayne programmed it for me before he sent it to me and I have not made any adjustments to it. I reset my NAV system and my SGII at every tank and I record my gallons and price paid at the pump for every tank in the SGII but that is the only thing I ever adjust on the unit. Is there something else I should be doing? My Nav currently shows 37.7 and my SGII shows 35.8 for my current tank at around 365 miles. The way I have read the various comments it appears that the NAV always runs 3-5% higher than the SGII so I just thought that was within the 'normal' range of deviation. Sorry if my comments sound ignorant, but I guess I am on this topic
Wow! It appears your SGII is reading the correct or near correct reading for MPG. There is no way Wayne would have known to adjust the tank fill MPG to 14%. One of the same SGII's was in my '05 FEH and it worked great with no Tank adjustment and the other one is new from the day I got the '09. Thank you for your feedback because the problem I'm having must be in the cord, the ethernet connection or a programming issue. I had 2 SGII's in my '05 and there was no problem with Tank MPG.

FYI the adjustment to the Tank percentage is found on the Tank-Fill reset screen. If you push the left or right arrows at the top of the screen the percentage will adjust up or down and show where you see the zero on the left bottom of the reset screen.

BTW, I talked to the SG inventor Ron Delong after I seen a temporary problem when I first got my '09 FEH and he said it might have been a glitch. The problem was with the speed and it went away on its own.

Sorry folks, this problem must be something with my set-up and not the '09 FEH.

GaryG

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

To check fuel calibration, hit the home button (red circle) then MORE> FILLUP> and look at the percentage displayed, but do not press done or you will wipe out the tank data. Press the home button again. Then press MORE> <SETUP FUEL> CUTOFF> to see what it is set to. Then, hit the home button again. Then press MORE> <SETUP <SPEED to see if there is any speed calibration.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Okay, here are my settings:
Fuel Calibration ~ 14.7
Cutoff ~ 24
Speed Calibration ~ 0

Again, the only thing I do at fillup is reset my nav system fuel and in SGII I input gallons and price and mark filliup to reset for new tank.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
Okay, here are my settings:
Fuel Calibration ~ 14.7
Cutoff ~ 24
Speed Calibration ~ 0

Again, the only thing I do at fillup is reset my nav system fuel and in SGII I input gallons and price and mark filliup to reset for new tank.
Looking at that, maybe some sort of lean-biased closed loop control is happening. Your 24 cutoff should have given you optimistic fuel cut which apparently isn't the case since your fuel calibration is very nearly the same as Gary's. Perhaps with the wide band sensor they are able to do this. On my 05 I have speed calibration at 1% and sometimes I will change it to 2% half way through the tank since the actual error seems to be right around 1.5%.

Last edited by DesertDog; 05-07-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Carl,
I guess I am just too ignorant to really understand all that. It seems like you are saying that something does not appear to be right based on my fuel cutoff settings yet Gary's comment seemed to state my vehicle/SGII were operating correctly. Is there something I am missing? I am just a normal driver and maybe I don't need to worry about it all and just drive my FEH and keep on loving it.

Quick Reply: '09 FEH SGII Settings

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands