'09 FEH Questions & Answers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Default '09 FEH Questions & Answers

When I get a PM asking questions about MPG, I like to give the answers to our group and encourage learning for all here. I'm not going to post the entire PM that may give personal thoughts, but if someone needs clarifications, others may also.

1. My question to you - and I appreciate you reading this: What should I be monitoring on the SGII to get me over the 50mpg hump? I today look at SOC, coolant temp and instant mpg. I drive 100% city, accelerating blip up to 40mph, letting off the gas, storing that 1 second change, then neutral gliding down to 35mph and setting the cruise. Tires are at 50psi, and I follow your guide to a T.

Answer - I've monitored most of the SGII gauges for both my FEH's, but I've cut to the chase to maximize MPG for me. Instant MPG, SoC, Open/Closed Loop (fuel-cut in the '09), and coolant temperature are my preferences.

2. I've heard you comment that the battery's sweet spot is between 43 and 46%. More specifically, is it 43.0% - 46.0%? I have been letting it go in to the 42.x% range, and it seems like it changes well there too. I just need to make sure I don't get caught under 42%.

Answer - Exactly

3. Also, I'm not convinced that pulse and glide between 25mph and 40 mph is as effective as just setting the cruise at 39mph and running the gas engine to charge. It seems like the restarting of the gas engine takes too much battery... But I can't quite tell with my current scan gauge. When someone is behind me and I need to charge, I'll set the cruise with the ICE running, and I could swear my MPG's are about as well, but I get a better charge. Wonder what your thoughts are on that.

Answer - I don't set the cruise with the engine running, only in EV to burn off SoC the most efficient way. I do almost all of MG1 (generator) charging with a perfect pulse watching the OEM Charge needle. I've dropped my low MPH glide threshold to 20mph and my best P&G is between 20 - 32mph. I get consistent 75mpg averages on E-10 during those segments and expect to see 80mpg if I find straight gas using this P&G technique. I always can count on lower MPG on the faster roads I take. Also, I never use neutral coasting in the '09 with the engine running. The '09 has aggressive fuel-cut above 40mph in "D" and I switch to a neutral glide when I go EV at 40mph.

4. My last question is around accelerator blip. I can't tell exactly how hard to punch it from a dead stop. I can push it enough to force the gas engine on, or I can really push it in hopes that I use less battery. Then I keep it around 1,900 rpms until I get to my target speed.

5. Can you comment in more detail on that accelerator blip?

6. I know you've documented this, and I've read it a dozen times, but there's something I'm missing.

The Answer to 4, 5, & 6 is your missing the accelerator blip purpose. The purpose is to restart the engine from EV every possible time you need the engine On for acceleration. The '09 FEH uses to much battery SoC to accelerate in EV except maybe in a parking lot. Therefore, if you use the most efficient way to restart the engine, you save all that SoC normally designed for a smooth restart using the electric motors. The Blip of the accelerator causes the engine to start, but stops the computer from using the electric motors because the accelerator immediately returns to the deceleration mode. You don't push or punch the accelerator or you will trigger a normal restart using too much SoC. You must tap quickly and let off the accelerator for just a split second and then reapply the accelerator as you normally would accelerate. I'd say I get 99.9% of the accelerator blip done right now and the vehicle behind me does not have a chance to rear end me because it all happens so fast.

7. I appreciate your time and all your helpful posts. It has helped me tremendously. I'm hoping there is something I'm missing that will get me over 50mpg.

Answer - The OEM MPG gauge is way Off, and so is the SGII I presently have in my '09 FEH. In order to get 50mpg at fill-up, you must have a 54mpg OEM tank reading. Today, I have a 69.4mpg OEM reading and my tank is about empty. I expect a ~63mpg tank at fill-up because my OEM gauge is so far off. My OEM gauge was up to 71.3mpg at about 1/2 tank, but I changed to newer Tour tires. Just the added weight of the rubber caused the decrease in MPG.

GaryG

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: '09 FEH Questions & Answers

Much appreciated. I've read so much on the accelerator blip, yet I've been doing it wrong all this time. Thanks for clarifying. I'm glad someone PM'd you...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary, I had questions about your accelerator blip too. I assume you do the blip when in Drive. Another way to do the engine start is when the Escape is in Neutral. You can give it an aggressive pump about half throttle and release and the engine will start, then drop into Drive and then smoothly accelerate in speed. I don't loose any more SOC with this than I do with the blip in Drive, and it's much easier to master. I usually lose 1% SOC as compared to 3-5% when using the accelerator in Drive (with no blip) to start the engine and it's comparable to the accelerator blip start. Any thoughts?

John S.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by chaunceyjb
Gary, I had questions about your accelerator blip too. I assume you do the blip when in Drive. Another way to do the engine start is when the Escape is in Neutral. You can give it an aggressive pump about half throttle and release and the engine will start, then drop into Drive and then smoothly accelerate in speed. I don't loose any more SOC with this than I do with the blip in Drive, and it's much easier to master. I usually lose 1% SOC as compared to 3-5% when using the accelerator in Drive (with no blip) to start the engine and it's comparable to the accelerator blip start. Any thoughts?

John S.
Never tried that method in neutral but I know you can start the engine from EV in neutral. It makes sense it would work also.

It was CarlD on CMPG or Desertdog here on GH that discovered the accelerator blip in "D" and it did take me awhile to master it. I do it by habit now and it all happens in a split second every time now. I'd say a drop of 3-5% in the normal programmed smooth restart is more like a 8-12% drop in SoC. This technique increased my Tank MPG from low 50's to mid 50's MPG back then. The adjustments I've made since then have been with a more aggressive Pulse, lighter (used) tires and a real dirty '09 FEH believe it or not. I had to return the '05 rims and Tour tires back to my sold '05 FEH during this tank but I should still keep getting 60+mpg tanks.

It's great you found an easier method for the Blip and this may show others just how valuable it is to increase their MPG.

GaryG