'09 FEH MPG Techiques

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '09 FEH MPG Techiques

I almost hate to ask but where can I get any documentation on using higher ethanol blends ie.
SAE or epa white papers.
I have hated e10 all along but if it's true that adding additional E will be beneficial to fuel efficiency
I'd like to investagate further.
What year escape would be able to handle this higher ratio? Mine is 07 Mariner,
Are there not corrosion issues?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

subdewd, check your messages. I don't want to steal Gary's thread.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM

I added some of part 3 tonight in post #1 of this thread. Read and comment or ask questions if you want.

GaryG

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary:

Help me understand the concept of open loop and fuel cutoff. Is that the same thing? I think I read elsewhere in a post by you that over 40 mph if the SOC is over 46% the FEH will have fuel cut (open loop) in glide and can be forced as low as 42% SOC with a break tap. My FEH will indeed go open loop in either scenario, but the instant I shift to neutral the FEH will go closed loop until the speed drops to 40 and below. I had been hoping to P&G between 35/45mph, but that doesn't seem to work unless I leave it in drive until fuel cut at 40 mph. If I'm understanding this correctly, if there is no fuel cut when i'm gliding in N over 40, there is gas going through the engine until the speed drops below 40 mph.

Incidentally what value do you use for fuel cut in the SG setup? I think the default is 24? Also you said at some point that you define in the scan gauge setup your vehicle as a 3.0 L? Explain the rationale for that.

Thanks John

Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by chaunceyjb
Gary:

Help me understand the concept of open loop and fuel cutoff. Is that the same thing? I think I read elsewhere in a post by you that over 40 mph if the SOC is over 46% the FEH will have fuel cut (open loop) in glide and can be forced as low as 42% SOC with a break tap. My FEH will indeed go open loop in either scenario, but the instant I shift to neutral the FEH will go closed loop until the speed drops to 40 and below. I had been hoping to P&G between 35/45mph, but that doesn't seem to work unless I leave it in drive until fuel cut at 40 mph. If I'm understanding this correctly, if there is no fuel cut when i'm gliding in N over 40, there is gas going through the engine until the speed drops below 40 mph.

Incidentally what value do you use for fuel cut in the SG setup? I think the default is 24? Also you said at some point that you define in the scan gauge setup your vehicle as a 3.0 L? Explain the rationale for that.

Thanks John
John, you are progressing well, are you a Ford hybrid engineer trying to pick my brain?

ECU Modes:

OPEN LOOP - this is the mode your ECU is in until the coolant temperature and a couple other sensors get to operating values. This is also true when you are at WOT or when throwing codes/ CEL's

CLOSED LOOP - the ecu uses information primarily from the Oxygen Sensor and adjusts fuel delivery and timing to achieve minimum emissions, better gas mileage and power.

Set your SGII Fuel-Cut at 18 instead of the default at 24. You cannot have fuel-cut in neutral because MG1 needs to hold the engine idle RPM above 40 MPH. This is for the protection of the eCVT motors.

You will see Open-Loop and Instant 9999mpg on the SGII when you are in fuel-cut. Shift to neutral for a glide after you go EV below 40mph but stay in "D" for fuel-cut above 40mph. You can get fuel-cut in "L" decelerating above and below 40mph but don't waste your time unless you need engine braking going down a hill. You are correct, above 40mph in neutral you are in Closed-Loop and gas is holding the idle with no fuel-cut.

Set your '09 FEH engine size at 3.5L and your tank off-set at 13 on your SGII to get the correct gallons and MPG at fill-up. You can change these settings without resetting the tank MPG (no need to press done). The rationale I used was to figure out how to make the SGII Tank MPG match gallons pumped and true MPG throughout the tank. On my last tank readings the Nav sys read 66.2mpg, the SGII read 62.5mpg and the gallons pumped came out to be 62.329mpg average. That's about as close as it gets for the SGII.

GaryG

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
John, you are progressing well, are you a Ford hybrid engineer trying to pick my brain?
Not hardly, a small town lawyer actually.

You are correct, above 40mph in neutral you are in Closed-Loop and gas is holding the idle with no fuel-cut.
That's what I was afraid of.

On my last tank readings the Nav sys read 66.2mpg, the SGII read 62.5mpg and the gallons pumped came out to be 62.329mpg average.

GaryG
I'm running around 44mpg, so I've got a ways to go.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

In my 2009 FEH I can be in open loop, 9999 on instant MPG on the SGII in neutral over 40mpg, but I do not do it very often. The problem is that SoC drops lock a rock unless I leave in D to coast above 40mph.

Had not done it in a while, but confirmed it on the way into work this morning. SoC was around 49. It may go closed loop at some point once the SoC gets lower.

I use the break tap all the time when coasting over 40mph in D when SoC is lower than 47 or so. Works great to get fuel-cut on my downhills on the highway.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary, reading your last section on SoC management, it sounds like for highway driving it would be better to go in with a pretty high SoC, correct? Most of my driving is highway and hills and before I get on the interstate I have been trying to keep it as high as possible. It's been pretty hard this last summer though. I usually go without cabin A/C up to 90 or so, but this was a real hot summer in KC. Anything over 95 and I would run the A/C. It was a real killer to my mileage over the summer. Mid 30'sMPG was about it.

Now that fall almost is here I am back in the high 30's and was 39.9 on the last fill.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmcmast
In my 2009 FEH I can be in open loop, 9999 on instant MPG on the SGII in neutral over 40mpg, but I do not do it very often. The problem is that SoC drops lock a rock unless I leave in D to coast above 40mph.
Hmm. I can go into open loop for a second, but the minute I shift to N, it got closed loop. I wonder why the difference. Also, why does state of charge drop on yours I wonder? It's coasting, what's it using the battery energy for?

John

Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by chaunceyjb
Hmm. I can go into open loop for a second, but the minute I shift to N, it got closed loop. I wonder why the difference. Also, why does state of charge drop on yours I wonder? It's coasting, what's it using the battery energy for?

John
I think Rick just may have discovered that a later built '09 FEH may have some programming the '10 FFH has. The reason his '09 FEH can do this is because MG1 is spinning the engine to protect it self from over RPM and damage. He pays the SoC price because in neutral there is no regen. I don't get the SoC price because I go close loop and have no fuel-cut when I shift to "N" above 40mph like John.

John and Rick and anyone with an '09, list your build date on the door. Mine is July '09.

GaryG

Quick Reply: '09 FEH MPG Techiques

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands