'09 FEH MPG Techiques

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Default Re: '09 FEH MPG Techiques

Originally Posted by Billyk
Since GaryG did not provide a reference to his statements or a photo of an aftermarket "tool" documenting/revealing timing is retarded after a cold start, we can only "guess" or look for such documentation. I have not found any such documention in the Helm manuals.

This is what I found at this link: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7762232.html

There is a lot of reading at this link. I do not know if this is what GaryG is referring to. In this link, at the top of where the invertor claims:
the first statement is exactly this:
The invention claimed is:

1. A method for a vehicle engine having a plurality of cylinders and an electric motor configured to rotate the engine, comprising: during engine idling, advancingspark timing of a cylinder to substantially before a peak torque timing, adjusting motor torque output of the electric motor to maintain engine idle speed, and retarding the spark timing of the cylinder toward the peak torque timing in response to adecrease in engine speed.

Note the filing date of November 6, 2008 and the date issued of July 27, 2010. Does this mean only the 2009 and newer hybrids have this feature?

There is too much other information to post it here. The engineers at this site can "eat their fill" here.
You need to grow-up Billyk. BTW, where did you get BillyK as a sig?

GaryG, the one and only!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

GaryG still has not pointed out his reference.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

are people crying over the "warm up" strategy? I know my FEH does this. I can tell by the power the truck gives me and RPMs read out, when i get in and go.

So what's the issue?

I for one love the P&G tech. I just started using the "N" part on the glide... LOVE IT!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: '09 FEH MPG Techiques

Originally Posted by GaryG
In cold weather where the battery is too cold for EV but the engine is ready, I modify my glide using the brake pedal. The only way to heat the battery is by increasing the rate of charging. I find pulsing and gliding in "D" with a small amount of brake pedal pressure speeds up warming the battery to go EV.
GaryG
I do not think you have ever had this occur. At least not in a 2005-2008 FEH.
Battery is not too cold for EV until the battery is lower than 0'F.
I know, because I've run in EV ( for short periods ) at 0'F.
Maybe you mis-spoke.
You don't get many amps at 0'F but you can for sure coast in EV and be in EV at stoplights at 0'F.

Only the engine and CAT converter needs to be hot enough to allow EV.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I do not think you have ever had this occur. At least not in a 2005-2008 FEH.
Battery is not too cold for EV until the battery is lower than 0'F.
I know, because I've run in EV ( for short periods ) at 0'F.
Maybe you mis-spoke.
You don't get many amps at 0'F but you can for sure coast in EV and be in EV at stoplights at 0'F.

Only the engine and CAT converter needs to be hot enough to allow EV.
I never notice this being a problem in my '05 other than getting very little regen in "L" during warm-up. The '05 takes more than twice as long to go EV from a cold start as my '09. Like Rick stated, he goes EV when the coolant reaches 125F and I've even been in EV with 110F coolant from a cold start. The engine temperature is not the problem in the '09, the converter and the battery temperature are the only things left. The '05 - '08 have completely different EV modes than the '09 and newer. I need to heat up the battery to go normal EV mode in just 32F or I'll travel sometimes 3X the distance it normally takes me to go EV. Doing the light brake pedal glide in "D" solves the problem in 32F weather. This has worked for me both winters so far in my '09. What I mean by normal EV in my '09 is all I have to do is let Off the gas at or below 40mph and I can set the CC in EV and burn the battery SoC to a restart at 40% or any SoC I want above there. I don't consider just shutting the engine Off in EV at a stoplight or a glide that helpful the way I hypermile. Once I get the battery warm in my coldest weather here, I have normal EV the rest of the day. I put my battery to work when I drive and seldom have over 47% SoC during the day. You and I use to agree that carrying around a fully charged battery was a waste of energy, don't you still agree? I think you said you installed a block and battery heater in your FEH, I don't have a block heater and the '09 battery does not even have a heater connection. However, I keep by battery at the best operating temperature possible all year round. I think Ford should have kept the Aux battery A/C for this in the '10 FEH and newer models. Ford even lowered the optimum '09 battery temperature in the '09 Workshop manual than for my '05 FEH battery.

GaryG

Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
are people crying over the "warm up" strategy? I know my FEH does this. I can tell by the power the truck gives me and RPMs read out, when i get in and go.

So what's the issue?

I for one love the P&G tech. I just started using the "N" part on the glide... LOVE IT!
Wayne Gerdes told me to do some comparisons coasting in "D" and "N" years ago and I've been coasting in "N" whenever I need too since then. The '09 is a few hundred pounds heavier than my '05, so it's not as good coasting. The engine is much more efficient during the pulse tho and that more than makes up the difference. Tire pressure is important but even more because of those thin sidewalls on the Tours.

Glad you worked in P&G while driving the '09 FEH. Get that accelerator blip working and your set for some serious MPG.

GaryG

Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM

The real problem is gpsman1 is posting as BillyK also.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Imported from Detroit

The real problem is gpsman1 is posting as BillyK also.
You mean that Billyk is allowing this?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
You mean that Billyk is allowing this?
No, he is the same poster! I was advised by the owner of Cleanmpg that gpsman1 uses the same URL to post. They have stopped him and have ban his post. The so called billyK can't post also!

GaryG

Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Imported from Detroit

No, he is the same poster! I was advised by the owner of Cleanmpg that gpsman1 uses the same URL to post. They have stopped him and have ban his post. The so called billyK can't post also!

GaryG
They seem or made to seem like two different people.

Quick Reply: '09 FEH MPG Techiques

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands