08 FEH Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default 08 FEH Tires

I have had an unfortunate issue of having to replace my tires on my 08 FEH due to vandalism. So I went an put on Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor on my truck. I did not care for the Continentals as I had to drive back to work in a hurry in the rain and when I used to be able to travel fast, I kept feeling the car spin out on the water. I have the Forteras on my Expedition and they are awesome.

The down side is that I have taken a mileage hit of 3-4 MPG. Most of my driving is on the Interstate as I have a 54 mile one way commute. With the Goodyear I have a 30 day trial drive. So I am debating, whether I should try a different tire traction, road noise, mileage.

I know some have tried the Goodyear Tripletreads. Suggestions, comments etc are welcome.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 FEH Tires

Originally Posted by Snoopyto
I have had an unfortunate issue of having to replace my tires on my 08 FEH due to vandalism. So I went an put on Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor on my truck. I did not care for the Continentals as I had to drive back to work in a hurry in the rain and when I used to be able to travel fast, I kept feeling the car spin out on the water. I have the Forteras on my Expedition and they are awesome.

The down side is that I have taken a mileage hit of 3-4 MPG. Most of my driving is on the Interstate as I have a 54 mile one way commute. With the Goodyear I have a 30 day trial drive. So I am debating, whether I should try a different tire traction, road noise, mileage.

I know some have tried the Goodyear Tripletreads. Suggestions, comments etc are welcome.
I have Goodyear Tripletreads on my Escape Hybrid for winter usage. These tires are great for winter conditions and this is why I bought these tires. I run these tires at 39psi. The Tripletreads are not low rolling resistance tires which means there is a slight loss of mpg. These tires are not "silent" but quieter than the Continental Ecoplus tires. I understand it as Michilen is introducing a line of low rolling resistance tires that will be standard on the 2009 Escape Hybrid. Something to look into.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

I notice you say winter usage. These would be in Florida and would be all season for me. Just curious, how has your mileage differential been?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopyto
I notice you say winter usage. These would be in Florida and would be all season for me. Just curious, how has your mileage differential been?
Look I'm in Northern Wisconsin and it is winter temperatures here. It is going to be below 10 degree tonight. Just cold temperature can take a huge hit on mileage. Then there is the 10% ethanol that most stations sell. That said, I got just over 30 mpg going to Church in early AM. I got over 32 mpg going to the ski area later in the AM and early afternoon hours. I can tell a difference in the rolling resistance compared to my EcoPlus tires. Then again the psi of my winter tires 39 isn't as high as my warm weather tires 43 psi. During the summer months when I was here, I usually netted mpg runs of 34-37. I would guess the tires cost me 1 mpg or 3%.

John Morton has Bridgestone tires and he highly recommends them.

On the Greenhybrid site there is information on rolling resistance of a few tires tested by Europeans. Look here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...00/#post165877

Last edited by Billyk; 03-24-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
I have Goodyear Tripletreads on my Escape Hybrid for winter usage. These tires are great for winter conditions and this is why I bought these tires. I run these tires at 39psi. The Tripletreads are not low rolling resistance tires which means there is a slight loss of mpg. These tires are not "silent" but quieter than the Continental Ecoplus tires. I understand it as Michilen is introducing a line of low rolling resistance tires that will be standard on the 2009 Escape Hybrid. Something to look into.
How did you find the TripleTreads for driving through fresh and packed snow? The ContiTrac EcoPlus were ok for the snow falls we had in Detroit, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking them up to northern Michigan.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cbibbs
How did you find the TripleTreads for driving through fresh and packed snow? The ContiTrac EcoPlus were ok for the snow falls we had in Detroit, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking them up to northern Michigan.
I actually drove my AWD hybrid 2.0 miles on an unmaintained winter road with 6-8 inches of snow. This was in Pa. when I was driving out to Crystal Lake Ski Area and accidentally followed my GPS device instead of the stated direction. This road climbed nearly 1000 feet and ended at a snowmobile club where a real road existed and took me to the ski area. In a way it was stupid on my part, I should of back down early in the drive but instead thought I was only a couple hundred feet away. To answer your question, yes the tires are darn good winter tires. The TripleTeads and Nokian WR are the two only all season tires that carry the mountain and snowflake label indicating they meet severe winter conditions.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I drove up Parleys Way yesterday in the snow. Only 4WD or chains were allowed. The Conti's did well. They pack up easy so i just drove in the fresh snow, not on the line.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I put a set of Fortera Silent Armors on my FEH a couple of months ago to replace my mismatched, worn and LOUD Continentals. I haven't really noticed a mileage hit yet, but we're still on the winter formula gas, so it's too soon to tell for sure, but my mileage has been slowly increasing to what it was this time last year with the weather warming up. I don't see myself trying to get new tires any time soon, though.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

I took Goodyear up on the 30 day ride gurantee. I put the Fortera Tripletreads on. Mileage is back to where it is supposed to be.