06 FEH fuel tank will not take full capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default 06 FEH fuel tank will not take full capacity

Our 2006 FEH which according to FORD has a 57 litre capacity will not accept more than 41.xx litres. The tank reads 3/4 full. Ford wanted to replace the fuel sending unit and pump. We are quite sure the float moves and registers accurately when moved. If you move the arm it will register full at the upper limit and a careful slow filling of an empty tank indicated 0, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 accurately. At this point we suspect something is preventing the tank from filling and the tank gage is accurately registering its contents. Any suggestions on what might be the cause of it stopping at less than full. Some discussions have been around an air lock or a "roll over valve" that might be malfunctioning. Comments? I have zero confidence in Ford Techs trouble shooting ability. Everything is remove and replace and anything electrical is not returnable. The real problem is the service writers and computer system are huge barriers between the customer and the techs doing the actual work.

Where is the roll over valve on the FEH? In the tank or the plumbing down to the tank?

Rocky

Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 FEH fuel tank will not take full capacity

Is your problem automatic pump shut-off when filling? If so, here are a few threads that may help you:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...e-issue-15979/
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ing-out-15852/

Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I called Ford of Canada customer service this morning and they denied the existence of any fuel filling problems with Ford Hybrid Escapes and they cannot find and deny the existence of TSB 05-18-04, and service messages 19536 in OASIS and service message 18339. They say they may be American problems but they share a common data base and if it is not in their data base it "doesn't exist". Since the problem doesn't exist according to the Ford Customer Care representative then they can't fix it or offer suggestions to dealers. This attitude seems to permeate the Ford Empire, no wonder they are losing ground to other companies.

Anyone with more recent problems with these "less than full" tanks please let me know what the solution to the problem was. I am off to try and find a bright friendly intelligent Ford Service Manager with in 40 miles.

Rocky near Edmonton

Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

I took the vehicle to a 3rd Edmonton area Ford Dealer who once again insisted on "diagnosing the problem" the suggestion this time was "replace fuel filler neck" in spite of the fact I presented the dealer with "how to fix the problem. I insisted they follow the problem and now today I can put 57.65 Litres in the tank. (who said Canadian Tire's fuel pumps were accurate since the temp was over 105 F. I really am fed up with incompetent or greedy Ford techs, service advisors and dealers. I would not mind paying for diagnostic services if the guys would actually get it right the first time.

Rocky