05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: 05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery

Originally Posted by nitramjr
The brake systems on these cars are completely different from other non-hybrid cars, especially 70's Corvettes and '90 Buicks . They have a very expensive ($4000+) hydraulic control unit that manages the brakes along with the regenerative charging system. I personally would not screw with it. I recommend you do the same.

Good luck.
I agree but the basics of fluid, pads and rotors are the same. Hybrids are different in many ways but you still have basics that are no different than any other vehicle. It's not rocket science.

They used DOT 3 brake fluid back in the seventies and still used today.

Last edited by wptski; 02-04-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: 05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery

Hello everyone,

This has been long overdue and I hate to bump an old thread, but just wanted to come back on here and thank everyone in this thread for giving me valuable insight on getting my vehicle fixed myself.

I can't express how great it feels to be driving my car once again, my girlfriend is ecstatic because now we can take our long awaited road trips together. My car was also long over due for an inspection and when it finally PASSED, it was one of the most HELL YES moments of my life, HAHA...

Still can't believe I changed the brake pads and rotors, I've never even changed the oil in a car before (which reminds me, I have to do that next week ).

I attached a couple of pictures if anyone is interested. As you can tell, the rotors REALLY needed to be changed, its embarrassing that I let it get that bad but I can say with complete certainty, it'll never happen again

My next big project is getting my Nexus 7 permanently mounted inside the vehicle to replace my current audio deck, that will be sweet!

Thanks again everyone!

Attached Thumbnails 05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery-itqmzabwlp5cpp-rizqvkehwtq3if6knl1o6s7mlfao.jpg   05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery-jvb5bl1_xjk4dwbnhr9biehuf2_1eszh_gqx2caqz08.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by tecz0r
Hello everyone,

This has been long overdue and I hate to bump an old thread, but just wanted to come back on here and thank everyone in this thread for giving me valuable insight on getting my vehicle fixed myself.

I can't express how great it feels to be driving my car once again, my girlfriend is ecstatic because now we can take our long awaited road trips together. My car was also long over due for an inspection and when it finally PASSED, it was one of the most HELL YES moments of my life, HAHA...

Still can't believe I changed the brake pads and rotors, I've never even changed the oil in a car before (which reminds me, I have to do that next week ).

I attached a couple of pictures if anyone is interested. As you can tell, the rotors REALLY needed to be changed, its embarrassing that I let it get that bad but I can say with complete certainty, it'll never happen again

My next big project is getting my Nexus 7 permanently mounted inside the vehicle to replace my current audio deck, that will be sweet!

Thanks again everyone!
Did your rotors have any pockets or holes on the friction surface? The ones I replaced did with only 20K on the vehicle and it "supposedly" had a brake job done once before which is hard to believe.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hmm... holes or pockets? I don't believe so. The rotor was definitely warped apart from being incredibly beat to sh*t and rusted. I've attached a picture, feel free to take a look.

Attached Thumbnails 05 FEH Needs Brake Pads/Rotors but instead has Dead Battery-img_20130204_174154.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by tecz0r
Hmm... holes or pockets? I don't believe so. The rotor was definitely warped apart from being incredibly beat to sh*t and rusted. I've attached a picture, feel free to take a look.
Well, better phrased as areas that are lower than the surrounding surface.