Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

DFW hybrid gathering.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DFW hybrid gathering.

Wow, 1085 miles one way door-to-door. Gas should cost $83.08 to get there at my current mileage and fuel costs. I'd love to go! But the end of October isn't good for me.

Perhaps, if you do this again in 2006, I'd like to go. I have to make a trip out to visit some friends near Abilene in the spring/summer. That's on the way there!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Wow, 1085 miles one way door-to-door. Gas should cost $83.08 to get there at my current mileage and fuel costs. I'd love to go! But the end of October isn't good for me.

Perhaps, if you do this again in 2006, I'd like to go. I have to make a trip out to visit some friends near Abilene in the spring/summer. That's on the way there!
Would it change your mind to know that October 29 is the day before the Arizona Cardinals play the Dallas Cowboys and the meeting place is ten miles from the stadium?

Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Nah, not a Cardinals (nor Cowboys) fan. Besides, I'm going to Vegas the weekend prior. Would be kind of hard to convince the wife of TWO roadtrips on back to back weekends.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just a reminder that the DFW hybrid meet is now only one week away, at the Sonic in Grapevine, TX. The map of the area, and address for the GPS guys is posted elsewhere in this thread.

Hoping for a good turnout!!!

Old 10-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Banned

I plan to take a camera along...

Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will have my camera as well. I'm hoping for a good turnout. The threads for this event have been pretty quiet both here and at Priuschat though.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 PM

Hi Wolfman and Delta_Flyer:

___Please exchange drives (Wolfman as the driver and Delta_Flyer as the passenger in the Insight and vice versa) with each other for 15 or so minutes after both are warmed up if you can each spare the time. Each of your hybrid’s has a very specific driving technique and style to make them really sing. The knowledge that the both of you will gain with just 15 minutes of expert tutelage from one another will be enough for months of thought provoking discussion here at GH. DF, a masterful dose of DWL and Leanburn at lower highway speeds is a good start. Add a taste of AS below 20 mph as well as a FAS or two will make Wolfman walk around the rest of the day with his mouth wide open saying “Oh My God that things FE is just ridiculous”!!! Wolfman, when DF is behind the wheel of your Escape Hybrid, a short ride around town to teach him how to EV up to 10 mph or so, ICE-On up to ~ 40 mph after that, and then a shift to L and back up to D on the tach bounce just before ICE-Off for a beautiful Glide/EV until the pack SoC falls to where the ICE starts back up and repeat a few times. You will have DF walking around the rest of the day saying “Oh My God that things FE is absolutely ridiculous”!!!

___The two of you will never forget the experience of your two very different hybrids and what they are truly capable of with a bit of hypermiling experience/knowledge to guide you. I remember the first time GreenAndBlue got a taste of my Insight. He was shocked nailing down an ~ 90 mpg segment just tooling around my somewhat suburban/country roads just as I was when taking his AH out for a wild FE - 95% Interstate segment as well.

___Finally, keep us posted as the individual meet stories are worth their weight in gold.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Banned

xcel,

I definitely hope to broaden the hybrid experience of myself, Wolfman, and others at the hybrid gathering.

Just thought of a question: is there a "quiet place" nearby that Sonic? In other words, a place away from heavy traffic such as near the Grapevine Mills Mall, one of America's largest?

Old 10-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Grapevine Mills Mall is a madhouse, so I wouldn't recommend running around there. However, Airfield Dr. is a great place to test drive cars as the traffic is very light on it. That road is just a short jaunt south down Main st. Main st. iteself is a great stealthing road as you want to go slow through there from the shopping traffic. If the Sonic lot gets full, there is another parking lot directly across the street that serves a Donut shop. As that shop will be closed during our event, the lot should have few if any cars in it.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Banned

I need to get the map out.

Agreed on Grapevine Mills Mall and areas around Hwy 121 and Hwy 183....

Quick Reply: DFW hybrid gathering.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands