XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If XM radio were added to the prius via coasteltech... does that void the warranty?

Old 05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Site Founder

I think not, as it simply involves plugging the cable into the back of the audio system. Don't take my word for it, though. I would likely install EV except I don't want to void my warranty!

Old 09-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Didn't the original brochure for the 2004 Prius state that XM Radio was available from Toyota? The current geniuses at my dealership can't find the tuner listed on their part schedules, and Toyota Central (my name for it) in California has no listing either.

The representative said they would put it on a wish list for 2005, and seemed surprised when I told him the above information.

I wish manufacturers would not promise something they can't deliver.

Don't get me wrong -- this car is the best I've ever owned, but....

Old 09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Site Founder

Well, it's set up so that satellite feeds will be seamless into the display, but the actual hardware has not been set up. The only solutions right now are PriusXM or CoastalETech.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, let me clarify this a bit....

1)The kits sold by both PriusXM and CoastalETech are resold Toyota Solara Integrated XM Kits...you can go to any Toyota dealership and order one from the parts dept. yourself and get the exact same parts.

BUT...you won't get installation instructions so you'll either have to pay someone to install for you or figure it out yourself, or buy the $35 DVD instructions from PriusXM.

AND...you'll likely pay at least $460 from the dealership after their mark-up. Coastaletech sells at near their cost with written instructions and more pictures and instructions on a CD. PriusXM includes a little bit nicer more solid mounting option..but nothing you couldn't rig yourself. And a highly aclaimed instructional DVD that everyone swears is fantastic.

The techniques for installing are different as well. PriusXM has you disassembling the entire dash to get to the back of the radio to plug in the cable. Coastal Dave has you loosen one of the ECUs to allow you room to simply reach behind to plug in.

2)Probably by the end of the year there will be an integrated XM option from XMDirect that'll cost only about $100. Supposedly will have perfect integration just like the current Pioneer kit sold by Toyota, CoastalEtech, and PriusXM. Again, you'll either have to pay to have it installed or have someone walk you through it, or buy the DVD.