WARNING Re: Waiting Lists

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast

In Feb. 2004, I put myself on a waiting list at Toyota of Long
Beach in Long Beach, CA. I received a couple updates from time to
time, assuring me that I'm getting farther up the list.
When I got home from work this evening, I had a message on my
answering machine from 10am, saying that my Prius would be there any
minute, and that if I got down there right away, I might have a
chance to get it.
The new General Manager, Gary Twombley, suddenly decided to make
the Toyota Prius first come, first served. As soon as one comes in,
they call EVERYONE, and to hell with how long you have been
waiting. I live 2 hours away from the dealership and have a full
time job. I'm screwed, and will have to buy another car somewhere
else.
Be forwarned, because this could happen to you. Dealers can change
the terms whenever they please. I have talked to dealers that take
deposits any where from 0 to $1000; some that deposit the money, and
others that hold the check; some that maintain one list, others
where each agent maintains his own list, and I know people who were
told that they are on the list, only to find out months later that
they couldn't be found on the list.
I called Toyota, and they said that the dealers are independent
and can do basically as they please.
Good luck to all of you. You'll probably need it.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I called Toyota, and they said that the dealers are independent
and can do basically as they please.
It always amazes me to hear how some dealers are selling the Prius.
They apparently have no desire for repeat customers and that we as consumers not only remember the bad experience but also tell our friends as well.

It is too bad you have been treated this way.
With so many other choices in hybrid vehicles coming soon from so many different manufacturers, I wonder how many buyers will be returning to look again for the Toyota treatment (Or feeling) they experienced?

Even though every Toyota dealership isn't that way it is too bad there isn't better leadership from the top.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

You said it exactly. No leadership from the top.
In February, when I asked how much the deposit was, the salesman said that they don't take deposits. Oh well, I've now learned without putting money on the line, you have very little chance of getting what you want.
A couple more examples of greedy dealers: When I was calling dealers in Feb., a salesman in Los Angeles told me that he could put me on their list, but that he could get me the car faster if I paid a few thousand dollar premium. Another in LA said that all their cars must be fitted with Lojack, and that was $1000 extra. And today I received a call from John at Toyota of North Hollywood, saying that he had the package and color I wanted, and at a "special deal". That special deal was $3000 over MSRP.
Others are saying that it's difficult to get a straight package; that the cars are being outfitted when they arrive at port with floor mats, decals, etc. Not knowing the car business, it's hard to know what's real or not. Oh well.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Hi Cali30US:

___Given the markups above MSRP and long waits with deposits for the wrong car etc., have you considered a PZEV anything else? Given your California purchase location, you could purchase any number of other automobiles that are as comfortable, larger, faster, better handling, and just as clean for quite a bit less $’s out the door? The money you could save on initial purchase and/or financing will far exceed your fuel cost savings of a hybrid in most cases. If you are a mostly highway driver, the Accord I4 w/ Auto is supposedly good for ~ 39 mpg according to CR’s with the Prius II good for 44 mpg on average. In the city it falls far short in comparison but again, for upwards of $12K+ USD, you can purchase enough fuel to take a PZEV based Accord LX or Camry LE from California to the moon for free. If you drove both the Prius II and the Accord to the moon, you could drive back on the savings with the Accord whereas the Prius II … Well let’s just say you would be permanently planted in lunar orbit

___I know the above was corny but it might broaden your new car purchase choices somewhat?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Hot_Georgia_2004@Jul 19th 2004 @ 11:52 AM
With so many other choices in hybrid vehicles coming soon from so many different manufacturers, I wonder how many buyers will be returning to look again for the Toyota treatment (Or feeling) they experienced?
You said it exactly. When I went to the Toyota dealer here in Phoenix to inquire about a Highlander, the guy wouldn't even talk to me. First he said it wouldn't be out until next year. Then he started talking about the premium.

Ford, Honda and even Hyundai are going to have models out this year (or early next). There is no reason to be treated that way. Personally, I am not even going to consider a Toyota now. For the first time in my life I am considering an American manufacturer. Thank you Toyota and good luck.

P.S. I got the same response from Toyota corporate. I did give them the dealership's name (I wish I got the sales guy's name) and they said they would "look into it."