want to get a prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default want to get a prius

hi guys,

I would like to get a Prius...but I have a few questions.

I'm definitely buying it used...so the question is whether I should get a 2005 or a 2006. I'll probably be getting it around November this year. From what I've seen, used 2005s are a good couple thousand dollars cheaper, what I wanted to know is if the 2006 had any significant improvements to merit paying more for.

Also..what's in store for the future of hybrids? Will each model add mpg, making older ones quickly obsolete like computers? It seems almost like you're paying for technology, not a car, when buying a prius.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: want to get a prius

Hi,
Originally Posted by Xinlitik
. . . I'm definitely buying it used...so the question is whether I should get a 2005 or a 2006. I'll probably be getting it around November this year. From what I've seen, used 2005s are a good couple thousand dollars cheaper, what I wanted to know is if the 2006 had any significant improvements to merit paying more for.
I bought a model NHW11, 2003 Prius via Ebay the first week of October:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

Near as I can tell, there are two 'price' knees:
  • End of 3/36,000 vehicle warrantee<
  • End of 8/80,000 hybrid drive system warrantee <
I paid $17,300 for an 03 Prius with 49,300 miles on it. It looks like once the hybrid drive system warrantee ends, the price for my model drops to ~$10,000. But the formula is more complex. Personally, I think the best price point is right after the 3/36,000 warrantee ends. But a better price point is right after the 8/80,000 warrantee ends. It depends upon how comfortable you feel with self-maintenance.

I bought the maintenance manuals from Toyota, ~$250, and appreciate every penny of it. With the manuals, you have a clue to find and fix things:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_vent.html
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

Also..what's in store for the future of hybrids? Will each model add mpg, making older ones quickly obsolete like computers? It seems almost like you're paying for technology, not a car, when buying a prius.
Look at the "Compare" tab in the database and compare the "Prius I" and "Prius II". Off-hand, it looks like the NHW20, the "Prius II", gets about 3 MPG better performance. Then look at my mileage signature. What this means is the NHW20 models give better performance but "Your Mileage May Vary." Skillful driving is required to maximize the vehicle's capabilities and we have a FAQ that can help you up that learning curve.

As for future hybrid performance numbers, I'm learning lessons about 'low hanging fruit' that suggests future Prius could have much improved performance. The 'warm-up' cycle could be better; a 'plug-in' system to keep the engine, transaxle and battery at operating temperatures and voltages would give a significant improvement; regenerative braking could be more aggressive; transaxle efficiency could be improved.

But don't compare today's Prius to tomorrow's promise (Bird in hand.) Compare today's Prius to the non-hybrid alternatives. BTW, there are non-Prius hybrids too. You have choices.

One last suggestion, you're going to run into gas and diesel advocates who are going to sell you a manual transmission "highway" mileage for "city" automatic transmission use. Insist upon on the "city", automatic transmission numbers. And without regenerative braking, they are just brake shoe and pad heaters.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Prius Enthusiast
Smile Re: want to get a prius

Remember--you don't get the tax credit for buying a used Prius, if that's an incentive for you. Personally, I just bought my 2006 new, and I couldn't be happier. In my area, they aren't depreciating that quickly, so it didn't make any sense for me to buy a used one (2005), with a shorter warranty for $3000 less than a new one that allows me to get a $3000 tax credit. To get the credit, though, you've gotta buy quickly before the offer runs out.

I don't know about the 2005, but my 2006 has bluetooth technology, a back-up camera (standard), side curtain airbags, vehicle stability control, a jack for my MP3 player, 6-disc in-dash changer, and the smartkey system...all for $26K. The airbags (I believe) make the total package worth it.

Hope thishelps.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: want to get a prius

Originally Posted by livelychick
I don't know about the 2005, but my 2006 has bluetooth technology, a back-up camera (standard), side curtain airbags, vehicle stability control, a jack for my MP3 player, 6-disc in-dash changer, and the smartkey system...all for $26K. The airbags (I believe) make the total package worth it.
I had a chance to buy a used 2005, but these things tipped the scale for me. I haven't disabled the "beeping" for reverse yet, but the camera is great especially for when my dog is in the yard running around (i don't have kids yet). Bluetooth seems to work great also - what a treat. I've figured out that once you are connected, you can dial on your cell phone and it will ring in your car. Plus with incoming calls your music audio automatically mutes until after hanging up. The best improvement though has got to be the SMARTKEY. It's so **** convenient!!!

Obviously, the safety features are a big plus too...but you hopefully won't ever get to "play" with those.

Last edited by Mixbreed; 04-26-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I think I'll get a 2005 Prius with the first mileage barrier broken... I didnt know the mileage difference was so small. Although I like all those goodies, I think the used car would be better (less depreciation, cheaper since I cant buy till at least summer, and I'm willing to bet the tax incentives will be gone by then).

Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Xinlitik,next Jan,Feb March 2007 might be the best used prices.I think the full $3150 starts again, so used Prius sellers will have to drop their prices because the new ones will suddenly become $3150 cheaper(yeah,the dealers try to get some of that $3150 but the promise of $3150 back in a year just isn't the same as paying less now).
This year you could have gotten a real bargain on a used 2004-05 Prius.I would guess you could have gotten a Pk 4-all the airbags,skid control,smart key,backup camera,and some audio stuff I'm not interested in,MP3??-,for about $18,000-$19000 with 10,000-20000 miles on it. A PK 4 has a MSRP of $24185-or $21,000 once you consider the credit. $18,000 is roughly what an airbag ABS equipped new Corolla ,or EX Civic MSRPs for. A low mile Prius for Corolla-Civic $$ is not bad.
I have heard that production of the Prius is being increased, and the prices should drop .Many folks (me) jumped and bought during this last run up(just like post katrina), so when the new Credit starts again there will be no pent up demand-(just like post katrina and early 2006).Of course, if our president bombs Iran,or the Gulf-(Tx ,La) get hit again by big hurricanes,all bets are off.The Prius might command high prices through the beginning of 2007.
If I could just see the future.Just deal with the internet guys-be polite-say "I would pay $26000 out the door for a new PK 4, or $20,000 otd for a 15,000 mile pk 4".Cast a wide net.One might get back to you a few weeks later.It might be an unpopular color(black), or it might have 600 test drive miles on it.Whatever, he might meet your price now.Aim for $500 under true MSRP-$24185 PK4 for example on a new one,and aim for $18000 or so on a used one.Luck,Charlie
PS Aim much lower in 2007, if nothing changes.Discounts of >$1500 MSRP were happening 1-3 months ago.They are gone for now.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hmm that sounds good...so Phoebisis do you think I could go for $15000 or so in Spring '07?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

You means a $1500 discount off MSRP-sure. There was a PK 6-new-at Miller Toyota outside DC-that sold for $24,400-MSRP is $26200-about 3 weeks ago.Miller was discounting them like that fairly commonly.I was busy that week-1000 miles away-or I would have bought it ,flown in ,and driven home.Now they don't have a Prius on their site,and their discount was just $500 last time I asked.
If all goes well in Jan,Feb,Mar the discounts will be back,and so will the full $3150(which is still available,of course).If "we' make a deal with Iran,and have a quiet early hurricane season,the price of gas could be back down to $2.20 by late Aug.If so,the Prius will be down in price again.We-folks like me who just got tired of watching oil go up-bought in a rush,so there will be fewer buyers out there in late Aug when the driving season is over.The Fit,Yaris etc are giving the Prius some lower cost competition-that also helps.The Camry Hybrid will also help Prius buyers;it might also increase trade ins of low mileage Prius.It doesn't have a hatch,but the actual seats are roomier,and more comfortable.It should be safer,also..I can see folks trading in and sorta' up.Luck,Charlie

Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry, what I meant was 15000 for a used 2005 prius in 2007.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi guys,

I would like to get a Prius...but I have a few questions.

I'm definitely buying it used...so the question is whether I should get a 2005 or a 2006. I'll probably be getting it around November this year. From what I've seen, used 2005s are a good couple thousand dollars cheaper, what I wanted to know is if the 2006 had any significant improvements to merit paying more for.

Looking at the prius Visually, i cant tell the difference between 2005 and 2006 except for the "HYBRID" badges located on each side just infront of the front doors. You can buy that at any toyota parts dealer if you really want to have those; looks nice BTW, i see people in the stop and go traffic glancing and taking a look at them in my 06 Prius.

Regarding your question about being obsolete in terms of its mileage. Like any other car out there, it's inevitably going to be obsolete one day. That depends, however, how you approach that problem.

Why not try to look at this problem from this perspective:
This car does 40+MPG, will this car meet your day to day and lifestyle needs?

I know that this technology will always improve to have next generation vehicles outperform the older ones with better mileage ratings.
Also, it is in our nature as human beings to never be satisfied with what we have regardless of how good our stuff are already. It's up to you to draw the line and just be satisfied with the car you choose. That is why you will see 1st generation Prius owners not upgrading to 2nd, because they are satisfied with 40+MPG. Buying a 2nd generation will not best that by a significant amount.
so let me ask the question again:
This car does 40+MPG, will this car meet your day to day and lifestyle needs?

regards,
gj