Prius Quiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is so neat, I made a quiz about the Prius and I sent it to my friends. The nice thing about this is that they get to learn something new about the Prius

http://www.quizyourfriends.com/yourquiz.ph...127143311-88209

Old 11-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Flare:

___Question number 1 did not include a correct answer … and it isn’t an electric motor – tranny. It is a planetary gear - automatic transmission however.

___Question number 2. So TSOP is initially made from plants and can be turned into plastic bottles, not the plastic bottle to TSOP … I learned something new today! Sneaky, very sneaky

___Question number 4. Luggage Capacity in cu. ft. of the Prius II is 16.1 but the answers didn’t include that? Are you speaking of how long an item you can stick into one? Then it would be 6 with the seats folded down. Unless you were considering something protruding into the front passenger compartment?

___At least that appears to be a 6 ft. ladder? Your answer of 10 came from Protrusion into the front passenger compartment possibly?

___Question number 5. The Prius II’s prices and option packages from 04 to 05 changed with just 3 packages for those of us that live in the Chicago region in 05 vs. 9 in last years 04. Stripped, $21.5K or thereabouts so that worked out.

___Question number 6: Package B for the 2005’s and package #7 for the 2004’s. At least in my locale (Chicago Region) it is listed this way? Neither were an answer so maybe the packages are different in your locale?

See the following for the Chicago Region:

2005 Prius Option Packages

2004 Prius Option Packages

___The rest of the questions were good but what makes Driftwood Pearl ugly

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 PM

1. In my opinion the electric motor should be considered the transmission because that's what produces the continuously varying gear ratios. The planetary gear, in my opinion, is just a power-split device in which they named the transmission because thats how the power gets to the wheels.

4. I have a picture of 10 foot lumber put inside a Prius with all the seats down. Its not volume but rather length. Did they ever figure out the volume with the seats folded down?

5. I don't know about Chicago and I don't live there, but I'm using the packages found on Toyota's website and in their brochure

The Driftwood pearl question was just an inside joke between my friend and I. In my personal opinion, the color is just a little bit too conservative. But of course it's all a matter of opinion. Since I am part of the younger generation, its not a very exciting color to me.

Thanks for your input though! Next time i'll try to elaborate more in the questions

Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 PM

Hi Flare:

1. An Electric motor is a propulsion device, not the transmission in the Prius I and II’s application.

4. Protrusion into the front passenger compartment then. I thought I had read of the actual volume with the rear seats folded down but I don’t have a value listed in my Hybrid miscellaneous fact sheets Toyota and the EPA only list passenger and luggage. If I come across it, I will let you know.

5. Follow the links from both Toyota for the 2005 and Edmunds for the 2004 as provided.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Site Founder

Q1: Woah, not CVT? It's a "motor?" Hm...
Q3: Huh? Smiley...?
Q4: Feet? Square??

Very entertaining. I didn't do so well. Thanks for the chuckle, though. =)

Old 11-27-2004, 09:43 PM

Jason,
Its not a CVT...yes, shocking i know. To tell the truth i really dont know what to classify the Prius trans as, but its not a CVT. I guess i'll just call it a PSD.

Flare,

Main Entry: trans·mis·sion
Pronunciation: tran(t)s-'mi-sh&n, tranz-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin transmission-, transmissio, from transmittere to transmit
1 : an act, process, or instance of transmitting <transmission of a nerve impulse across a synapse>
2 : the passage of radio waves in the space between transmitting and receiving stations; also : the act or process of transmitting by radio or television
3 : an assembly of parts including the speed-changing gears and the propeller shaft by which the power is transmitted from an automobile engine to a live axle; also : the speed-changing gears in such an assembly
4 : something that is transmitted : MESSAGE
- trans·mis·sive /-'mi-siv/ adjective
- trans·mis·siv·i·ty /"tran(t)s-(")mi-'si-v&-tE, "tranz-/ noun
Acording to the deffinition of a transmission, the PSD as it is called (the planetary gear, PSD stands for power split device) is the transmission. It is what transmits the power from the MG-1, MG-2, and I.C.E. to the wheels.

Cheers,
Steven

Old 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM

Ahh okay

maybe i should have worded it something like... What creates its continuously changing gear ratios?

Well from my quiz, the key point there was Belt and Cone which doesnt apply to the Prius's "CVT". Belt and Cone uses a belt or chain and 2 cones to create the gear ratios. Since the cone has an inclined plane the belt moves freely without a fixed gear ratio. Prius uses the electric motor to do the same thing...i see why they call it eCVT now.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Saying that the motor is the transmission is wrong. The would be like saying my hand is what changes gears in a manual because my hand moves the gear shift lever.

You all can choose not to call the Toyota tranny a CVT but it is. Saying that is isn't is like saying that a Beta tape is not a VCR tape. True a Beta is not a VHS but it is still a VCR.

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyot...s/Understanding

Clearly the PSD is the heart of the tranny. Saying that the PSD is "only" a differential is like saying that the heart of a regular CVT is only pulleys and belts. The function is what makes a givin part what it is.

Please follow the linked pages and check out the last page where it tells that the motor sometimes reverses direction and runs backward!