DraftMaster Hitch Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default DraftMaster Hitch Rack

I want to purchase a DraftMaster bicycle hitch rack for my new Prius. I know that others have purchased similar items, so I was hoping to get a little help. I was looking at the Coastal receiver hitch for the Prius, but I don't know wether to buy a 2" or a 1.25". What's the difference?

Also, if anyone has experience with the DraftMaster, let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: DraftMaster Hitch Rack

Originally Posted by vonteity
I want to purchase a DraftMaster bicycle hitch rack for my new Prius. I know that others have purchased similar items, so I was hoping to get a little help. I was looking at the Coastal receiver hitch for the Prius, but I don't know wether to buy a 2" or a 1.25". What's the difference?

Also, if anyone has experience with the DraftMaster, let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks!
The 2" vs. 1.25" is the size of the square tube that holds the bike rack. There are two different receiver hitches and I went with Coastal Electronics for my 03 Prius. a 2" receiver, and have been very happy.

There is another vendor of Prius hitches (Curtis?) that in the past has had a problem NHW20 (your model) exhaust gas being deflected onto the plastic bumper cover and melting it. It is probably fix but just be wary and ask.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 07-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: DraftMaster Hitch Rack

Thanks. I guess I just don't get the differences between the hitch sizes. The bike rack apparently will fit with either type. Someone told me the 2" is more stable, but I'm not sure why. I was going to try the 1.25" because someone mentioned the 2" hitch scraped a bit when baking out of a driveway with the bike rack attached. But now I'm thinking it's not the length measurement, but the circumference? Is that right?

I read about the problems with the Curtis hitches and decided not to go with that one.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by vonteity
Thanks. I guess I just don't get the differences between the hitch sizes. The bike rack apparently will fit with either type. Someone told me the 2" is more stable, but I'm not sure why. I was going to try the 1.25" because someone mentioned the 2" hitch scraped a bit when baking out of a driveway with the bike rack attached. But now I'm thinking it's not the length measurement, but the circumference? Is that right?
It is a square tube either 2"x2" or 1.25"x1.25". IMHO, the size of the receiver has less to do with scraping than the load and spring compresion.

After putting on the Coastal Elect. receiver, I bought an 'extended tools platform' from Harbor Freight. This is a platform that runs the width of the rear bumper and is about 20" deep to carry outsized loads. I then bought their folding, light weight trailer kit and used the 'extended tools platform' to hold one of the packages. On the way home, I drove through a neighborhood with very aggressive, speed islands and deep street gutters. I scraped bottom but I had a heavy load on the rear. But the gouges in the street indicated I wasn't the first.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

I got the 2" Coastal Receiver, but read in the Prius chat site that it twists and bends over time. I got a hitch shop to weld on a "tank strap" that they bolted to the center jack point and I can hardly see any deflection now with a yakiima fullswing 4 bike rack. I think Coastal Elect needs to add that tank strap to their hitch.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Do you have a picture of that hitch "tank strap" modification? Thanks,

Joseph

Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I'll see if I can get a picture. I'll need some assistance uploading to this site.