Comsumers' Most Wanted Vehicle for 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004

Recent visitors to Edmunds.com cast their votes for the 2004 Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicle Awards. This was the third year in a row we asked for feedback from our users, and we appreciate all those Edmunds.com users who took the time to wade through our survey and pick their favorite cars and trucks for the 2004 model year. How do your choices compare with those of our survey participants or those of Edmunds.com's editors (2004 Editors' Most Wanted)? Was your pick for Most Significant Vehicle of the Year the same as ours? The results are in! Read on to learn the winners in 30 vehicle segments.

Most Significant Vehicle of the Year | Sedans | Convertibles | SUVs | Trucks | Vans | Coupes & Performance Cars | Wagons | Exotics

Most Significant Vehicle of the Year: Toyota Prius

We spoke and you didn't listen, but that's sort of the whole point right? Although our editors picked Nissan's Titan as the Most Significant Vehicle for 2004, the consumer vote was a landslide victory for the Toyota Prius. It won nearly twice as many votes as the next closest competitor notching the second victory by a hybrid (the Honda Insight was the first) in this prestigious category.

The overwhelming win wasn't exactly a surprise, however, as the Prius puts together an incredible package of performance, efficiency and practicality. It has enough technology to make the space shuttle envious yet it doesn't take a PhD in computer science to use it. Add to the fact that it starts at a sticker price of around $20,000 and the significance of the Prius isn't hard to grasp.

Not every consumer disagreed with our editors as the Nissan Titan did manage to score a second-place tie with the Mazda RX-8. With its powerful standard V8, competitive size and innovative features, the Titan is certainly a truck that will have an impact on the full-size truck market. The rejuvenation of Mazda's legendary sports car was undoubtedly a significant event for enthusiasts especially considering that its dramatic new design incorporates a level of functionality never before seen in a sports car.

A surprising fourth place was turned in by the Acura TL. Always considered a strong entry in the class, this year's redesign turned it into a serious player in a segment that has been traditionally dominated by European entries. BMW and Audi take note, Acura is coming on quick.

We spoke and you didn't listen, but that's sort of the whole point right?
What is that supposed to mean? I don't think I'd ever drive a pickup truck.. and not one that's called Titan which is probably huge and unsafe for other drivers.
A toyota highlander blocked my view of the road today while i was trying to turn right. Very annoying!