Premium Gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Premium Gas ?

Just got back from the local dealer. One white hybrid and no limiteds. Took a brocure home and read that the HH needs premium gas and then on another page it says the performance ratins are for premium and if one uses regular they will be less. What gives? ITOD (in the old days) if a car required premium, it would not run smoothly on regular. What gas do most of you use?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Premium Gas ?

I also find this perplexing. I saw a web site that listed a comparison of Toyota hybrids. They all ran on 87 octane, but had a nasty little asterisk next to the HiHy stating "premium preferred". Just a guess, but perhaps it works best with premium, but if you use regular if the sensors detect knocking it will adjust the detonation, valves, etc.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcwils@bellsouth.net
Just got back from the local dealer. One white hybrid and no limiteds. Took a brocure home and read that the HH needs premium gas and then on another page it says the performance ratins are for premium and if one uses regular they will be less. What gives? ITOD (in the old days) if a car required premium, it would not run smoothly on regular. What gas do most of you use?
We use regular 87 octane no problem. The owners manual say that 87 octane is acceptable. The recommend premium for best performance.

My 0-60 times are just fine using 87. Don't think I really need the extra 0.25 seconds

Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Happy HiHy Owner

I have a 2006 base HiHy and use the cheapest gas available, never used anything over 87 octane. My mileage is a shown in my signature (click for details tank by tank). I do find that using the A/C fulll time dropped my MPG by about 2MPG. IMHO I would not use anyhting else other than regular. There have been several threads on using other than regular fuel. There never was a clear case where the extra cost fpr higher octane was justified.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota 6 cylinders and I beleive Nissan and Honda have typically NOT required Premium, but if you push your engine they will perform better with premium. Usually the manual has a statement saying something like... "Premium fuel recommended, you can use regular, but you perfoamcne may be slightly impacted." My Acura TL unfortunately said Premium Required and even had it on the gas filler door. If you don't push your car hard the Premium will not buy you much, it is for when under heavy load (quick acceleration, steep hills/mountains) the engine will knock so the knock sensors will detect that and retard the timing, with premium the knock is not likely to occur and thus the engine timing will stay more agressive.