Hy Highlander MPG vs Non-hybrid equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hy Highlander MPG vs Non-hybrid equivalent

Does anyone know of someone with a NON-hybrid highlander (V6 engine) that has calculated their fuel effeciency?
I would be very curious to see how the Hybrid Highlander compares to the non-hybrid equivalent on mpg, especially since the EPA ratings seemed to be unreliable.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hy Highlander MPG vs Non-hybrid equivalent

Over at the Edmunds.com in the Highlander forum, I'm seeing reports such as:
Consumer Reports' reported 25mpg highway/12-13 city
One poster reports 21-23 highway @70-75mph
Another reports 23 highway/16-17 city

With 50/50 driving, that averages to:
Consumer Reports 18.75 mpg
2nd poster 19.75 mpg

Rick

Old 09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the info!
So my interpretation is that if we toss the EPA estimates to the wind and just rely on actual tank mileage, the Hybrid gets at least 20% better mpg than the exact same car without the hybrid technology. I think that's a pretty important issue since many people on this website (including me) have used the advertised EPA estimates as the gold standard to base the quality of their car on.
But maybe until the EPA revises their estimates, the true test is a relative one with other similar cars that one might have bought instead.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah, the EPA "numbers" are just tests, like in a classroom, they have absolutely nothing to do with real world driving conditions. The only purpose for them is to be able to compare vehicle to vehicle because they were tested the exact same way so you know they can be compared.

Comparing real world numbers can be even more tricky because people's driving skills, the terrain, traffic, vehicle condition etc. all become factors that weren't in the EPA tests.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

My sister drives a 2002 Highlander v6 2wd. I drove her car for a week while she was out of town and fell in love with the car-like ride and utilitarian flexibility of an SUV. That experience was the reason why I got a 2006 Hy Highlander.

When I was driving her car, I remember getting 18 mpg in mixed driving. I drove a long haul to Galveston (roughly 70 miles of freeway) and got 25 mpg. That is pretty average mpg for a v6 vehicle for its weight, probably on the high end for other SUVs in the same class.

For comparison's sake, my mom has a v6 Avalon and she gets 21 mpg in mixed driving. When I drive it (since I now have the skills to drive for maximum fuel efficiency) I can get 23 mpg. This also does make the point that one can make substantial efficiency. gains just by modifying technique, not just by buying a hybrid.

My Hy Highlander gets 25 mpg in mixed driving. Freeway-like driving on gently rolling terrain at moderate speeds (40-55mph) sees 33-37mpg.

Overall, almost a 40% improvement in mpg, of course your mileage may vary.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayci
My Hy Highlander gets 25 mpg in mixed driving. Freeway-like driving on gently rolling terrain at moderate speeds (40-55mph) sees 33-37mpg.

Overall, almost a 40% improvement in mpg, of course your mileage may vary.
I'm averaging around 25MPG in mixed driving as well with my new HH. Not the 31-33 the dealers have been hyping, but I knew that going in.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Key is learning how to drive all over again and keeping that tire pressure up. I have been running 27 mpg in mixed-mostly city driving. I do not do enough highway driving to have cacluated a highway only mgp.

Kace

Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Automania Enthusiast

What are you running for tire pressure?

Old 11-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

We put 36/34 (front/rear) in our tires. The max on the sidewall says 35.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

I keep the max pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire. The tough part is remembering to check the pressure more often!

Quick Reply: Hy Highlander MPG vs Non-hybrid equivalent

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands