Highlander Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Highlander Armrest

I have to admit I drive a non-Hybrid Highlander but I found a company willing to help all of us out. I know I'm not the only HL driver that hates the factory armrests so now there is a solution. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t153292.html . I couldn't be happier with mine. Jon.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Highlander Armrest

How were you able to remove the original armrest?

Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast

It was simple, remove cap that covers bolt, using a wrench with extension remove factory armrest. As I stated, the hardest part was finding the tools in my own house. Jon.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Does the new armrest stop at different angles vs all the way up or all the way down? I find the stock armrest position a bit low.

I miss the design that was on our other Toyota, the armrest could be placed in different positions.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Range of motion

The aftermarket armrest keeps the same range of motion as the OEM armrest. It's significantly wider and much more comfortable though. Jon.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

Funny you mentioned that the stock armrest height is low since I find it too high.

In your case, it is easy to fix. I read somewhere in the Sequoea forum about putting something below the armrest to jack it up, like a solid plastic tissue box for example.

In my case, since I want it to lower, I had to dismantle it, sort out the bolts and washers inside and did some modifications. I had to remove a plastic washer, and reposition to lower the armrest. This resulted to a pin that is out and beyond the corresponding groove and rubbing against a metal plate. I had to jam two layers of additional washers on the opposite side to balance the force of the pin. I then tightened the bolt with the armrest at the desired height. It is now at a very comfortable height, just like in my sienna.

This resulted to a fixed armrest and does not fold up anymore. I don't mind that it doesn't go up since the arm rest in my sienna is always fixed in one position and is rarely folded up.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

just got back and bought two washers that are large enough to accomodate the retaining bolt of the armrest. This time the washers are at the appropriate location and the original plastic washer is removed. The washers created enough clearance so that the pin does not touch the stopper. I can now angle the arm rest to ANY position and then tighten the bolt with 14mm socket wrench.

Of course, the arm rest is fixed unless you loosen the bolt. My socket wrench is in my car right now just in case I need to fine tune the angle.

Mark

Last edited by drmperalta; 08-31-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Oh this is GREAT! Im getting one!

Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone else ordered one? My wife was skeptical at first, since it's her daily driver but now she understands/feels how much of an improvement this had made. Toyota should be knocked in the head for not designing these armrests properly in the first place. Let's hear some reviews from people who have bought it.

Last edited by JMSinMD; 09-13-2006 at 06:53 PM. Reason: pics