Could there be a smaller engine option?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Could there be a smaller engine option?

I was personally saddened a little bit by the Hybrid Highlander debut. I realize that SUV drivers require (via purchasing power) & enjoy healthy acceleration & etc and I don’t want to be one to deny them that choice but, I hope our choices broaden on the Hybrid Highlander types of vehicles soon from Toyota.

If Toyota will apply ALL the HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) technologies that they applied to the latest Prius, we will have the following kind of performance specs in the Hybrid Highlander and we can have it without any body style changes for Cd or aerodynamic reasons (expensive tooling) while still having a Hybrid Highlander that can achieve 0-60 in a very reasonable 10-11 seconds.

Lets take a look at a MPH, MPG table built calculated using the following 'Real World' variables:

Temp: 77º F
Altitude: 400 feet above sea level
Humidity: 67%
Barometer: 30.03 in-Hg
Load: 300 lbs. (Driver & bags)
AC: OFF
Climate Control: 72º F
Wind: NONE
Wind Dir: N/A
Fuel BTU: 114,500 (US fall-blend gasoline)
kWh/Gallon-US: 33.5568
Road Rolling Resistance: .001144 (Smooth Asphalt)
Tire Rolling Resistance: .0072
Cd: .34 (Coefficient of Drag for normal Highlander)
FA: 2.63m^2 (Frontal Area in square meters)

Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Could there be a smaller engine option?

Eric,

I am in full agreement with your wish for a choice in engine for the highlander. I don't need either neck cracking accelleration or towing capacity so a 4-cylinder choice would suit my needs. I would also like a 4-wheel drive Prius option as well.

One thing though, why does your chart show lower MPG for the 4-wheel drive version? I thought that the back wheels are EV-only and there is a higher battery capacity. Doesn't that result in the MPG for the 4-wheel option being somewhat better than the 2-wheel drive version?

JeffD

Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Hi Jdenenberg:

___That extra set of powered wheels adds even more drag and more weight.

___Schwa, this is exactly why I think the Camry w/ HSD could be almost as spectacular as the Prius II in the EPA cycles. We will see soon enough but it depends if Toyota wants to screw it up or actually do the right thing with the Camry. Hybrid owners in general (sorry to the AH folks) are not looking for 0 – 60 times to beat their neighbors, they are looking for a high FE automobile w/ clean emissions more then likely. If they kill the HSD equipped Camry’s possible FE by hopping up the I4 (1.5, 1.8, or the 2.4 - whichever I4 they use?) w/ a 0 - 60 in 9 or less seconds, I am going to be pissed …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 AM

It may actually be possible to make a car with a smallish I4 and fast acceleration, all you need is a decent size electric motor and a battery pack that can deliver the (burst) current. You won't have the sustainable top speed you would normally expect from a car that accelerates fast, but top speed is not an issue if the car can go as fast as you need.

These batteries could probably do the job: http://www.a123systems.com/html/home.html