Anyone done a smog check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Question Anyone done a smog check?

Sound ridiculous, but leave it to California! I just bought my HH in Cleveland OH, drove it home and went to register it.

Because I bought it out of state, I have to have it smog checked! I've heard that it is not required for hybrids, but alas, the rumor was exactly that - a rumor.

So I'll let you all know how it comes out ... if you have any experiences to share, please do so.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

Old 08-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Anyone done a smog check?

No one posted a reply ... so I'm guessing that I'm the FIRST ONE to be faced with this challenge!

And, what a challenge it is!

I bought my HappyHiHy in Ohio in June, drove to California (Santa Clara) and went register it with the California DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) at which time I was TOLD that I HAD to have a smog certificate to get it registered.

YESTERDAY I went to the smog dude ... and he informed that he CAN'T smog a Hybrid especially a AWD/4WD one! Great ... now what? I was provided the 800-number of the Bureau of Automotive Repairs who referred me to the "Smog Referee" (Didn't know that CA had one of those!) ... I called the Smog Referee who informed me that ALL HYBRIDS in California are exempt from smog certification at this time. He informed me that I should go back to my local DMV and have them call Sacramento ... they made the ruling.

So wish me luck ... I have an appointment on 8/31 to get my registration complete. I'll be happy to keep everyone posted.

SO ... the moral of the story ... if you live in CA ...and own a hybrid. It is EXEMPT and CANNOT be smogged.

Hope this helps someone ...
Happy Hybriding!
DJ in Santa Clara

Old 08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone done a smog check?

The same rules apply in Virginia.