WIRED Hybrid comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default WIRED Hybrid comparison

Here's Wired Magazine's take on hybrid Altima vs Accord vs Camry.
The Camry was last place. Interesting that the fuel economy of the Camry vs Altima was so different. I thought they used the same or similar? powertrain.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...test_p102.html

Last edited by SanDiegoBlue; 04-24-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: WIRED Hybrid comparison

Can't trust magazine numbers, but I will have to take a look at the article.

The Accord's interior is straight out of the 1990's, and on the Altima, it looks like a Pontiac designer was assigned to the job. Three vents on the dash...yea, real elegante.

Really though the Accord shouldn't even be listed with its city mpg, and the reviewer has NO sense of design or style, unless he's 15.

Last edited by kris; 04-24-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

I read this article. I and I am pretty sure almost evryone else including Nissan salesman will agree that CamryHybrid is better bucks for your money than any comparable hybrid on the earth.

Article mentioned Bells and Whistles. TCH basic model has more bells and whistles than Accord and Ultima basic models. I have compared each line of specs. There are few extra things in Ultima and Accord. But not important ones.

As far as MPG is concerned, Accord hybrid, as mentioned in article, is not designed for fuel efficiency. It is to get extra power without using additional gas. TCH and Ultima hybrid have exact same hybrid technology and specs MPG are also same. If test driver got only 30 MPG on TCH, he or she needs to visit this forum and get some ideas as to how to get better MPG.

I am fiarly new owner of TCH, I live in Regina, Saskatchewn, Canada (current daily high temp is around 15 degree C and low 0 - to 5 degree celcius), I drive only 7 kms one way to work with about 9 turns and six lights. Despite all these factors, I am currently getting 41 MPG (Imperial) and 34 MPG (USA) on my first half tank of dealer supplied gas. Current ODO meter is 385 KMS.

In short, I do not agree with the article. Period. Yes, period.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue
The Camry was last place. Interesting that the fuel economy of the Camry vs Altima was so different. I thought they used the same or similar? powertrain.

That artical is so bias, I wonder is Nissan owns the outfit that wrote the report? What a total crock!!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

"Altima blows away the Camry with excellent mileage (35 mpg) and a beautifully finished interior that would suit a much pricier car."

You've got to be kidding me.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Only 3 persons I know who own Nissans. Two have Murano's the other a Maxima. The people say they do like to visit the gas pumps often and are reccomended to use at least mid grade fuel. When wanting info on an Altima hyb, local Nissan dealer only had one on their lot, according to their web site. Am I correct on the following.? Nissan's Altima hyb is their first and mainly sold in Calif and 7 other states with high emission controls? Did not want a Nissan, being a satisfied Toyota user for the previous 2 cars. My TCH should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully.

Not a very knowledgeable person in regards to Nissan's.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjq
My TCH should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully.
Congratulations. You have mad right choice.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue

The Altima uses a Nissan gas engine mated to a Toyota Hybrid system and their car is rated a couple of MPG better than the TCH. I'm sure that the Nissan is a nice car, but because they only sell them in a few states, most of us won't see one. Clearly Toyota has done a better job getting the right car to the consumer. The Wired article is one data point, but if you check this website you will see a many varied data points on MPG. I don't get excited about these types of articles comparing an extremely limited car and America's best selling car. The consumer's have already voted on which is better!

Brian

Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I should have purchased an Altima since it clearly doubles as a boat based on the photo that Kris posted.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

lol.

Quick Reply: WIRED Hybrid comparison

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands