Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Hey gang,

Have any of you noticed your Camry Hybrid windshields being very "hazy"? I have cleaned the outside and inside of the glass many times and cannot get the haze to go away. I finally figured out that it is inherrent in the glass. Spoke to Toyota service and they said that the windshield would have to be replaced. That is bad news because the car is never the same after a glass replacement. My Camry only has 1500 miles on it and the quality of the glass is very dissapointing.

I wonder if the "cloudiness" is related to the embedded polymer in the glass for sound dampening?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Originally Posted by Beckel
Hey gang,

Have any of you noticed your Camry Hybrid windshields being very "hazy"? I have cleaned the outside and inside of the glass many times and cannot get the haze to go away. I finally figured out that it is inherrent in the glass. Spoke to Toyota service and they said that the windshield would have to be replaced. That is bad news because the car is never the same after a glass replacement. My Camry only has 1500 miles on it and the quality of the glass is very dissapointing.

I wonder if the "cloudiness" is related to the embedded polymer in the glass for sound dampening?
You certainly don't expect them to put in a 10K glass package when the Converter costs 10K, battery 4K, engine &powertrain 15K. They would end up like Ford and GM whom now wish they would have put regular window glass in lol

Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Originally Posted by Beckel
Have any of you noticed your Camry Hybrid windshields being very "hazy"?
Yes. It is especially noticeable at night with oncoming headlights. It seems to be inside the glass itself.

Will Mayall

Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have that problem with my back window only since day 1.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Too Smug

There have been previous postings on this topic, either here or on the Edmunds forum. Do a search for "clean windshield." You will see some unusual recommendations, including this one from "Big Foot":

My son is an autobody man and he showed (proved) to me that the silliest thing will work wonders with auto-glass. It's what he was taught in detailing class.

Use Windex or any other ammonia based window cleaner to get the heavy stuff off.

Then mist the window lightly with Windex or even pure water and use the Black & White pages of a newspaper to wipe the glass down.

Absolutely no streaking and the glass literally disappears with clarity!

I know it sounds dumb - but it truly does work!

Last edited by Sallyspal; 01-26-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

I've been using the newspaper tip for yeas and getting awesome results every time. I also have been using Rain-X as I'm sure most here do. I do find that with Rain-X the windshield goes get very hazy when passing under road light at a very specific angle. Not a big enough issue for me not to use it though.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

The problem with the glass is not something that can be cleaned off. Believe me, I've tried.

It has the appearance of very mild etching such as you might see on glasses that have been through a dishwasher too many times.

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by mayall
The problem with the glass is not something that can be cleaned off. Believe me, I've tried.

It has the appearance of very mild etching such as you might see on glasses that have been through a dishwasher too many times.

Will Mayall
Almost sounds like "sand blasting". If you lived in a desert area and it was on the outside glass surface but you said it was on the inside. Hmmm. Anyone smoke in the car?

Get your hands on some "Jeweler's Rouge". It's cheap. Mix up some in suspension and use a cloth and rub out a corner of a side window and see if it gets rid of it. Takes a little elbow grease. If it does remove the haze, it's only a surface issue and not through the entire glass thickness. If it works and the rear window is affected be carefull around the etched wiring.

Last edited by schmidtj; 01-28-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Almost sounds like "sand blasting". If you lived in a desert area and it was on the outside glass surface but you said it was on the inside. Hmmm. Anyone smoke in the car?
It's been in the glass from day one. I'll do something about it before the warranty expires.

It's tough to describe as I've never seen anything quite like it. It sort of has the appearance (I would imagine) of acid having dripped down the glass. I think it is actually inside the glass. My understanding is that the windshield in the hybrid is unusual and has a layer of soundproofing.

It is very mild and only noticeable with strong light coming through the window. It will even be tough to show to the dealer. At night, with oncoming headlights, it is quite obvious and somewhat distracting.

Will Mayall

Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
HTDUC
Talking Re: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Have you had your eyes checked recently? Not being snotty, just a medical person, but what you describe is very much like what cataract patients describe for point sources of light at night, usually a yellowish cast or halo. Just an observation.

Quick Reply: Windshield "cloudiness" - cannot be cleaned off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands