what's ROTATE TIRE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default what's ROTATE TIRE?

I found this one out for maintanance on my 2007TCH.

What's tire rotation?

I normally look and touch my tires to check if they are low on air or not at risk to get flat while driving.

Some talk about tire pressure, what's this?

Is there alternative ways to check to see how good my tire is other then touch and feel?

what's tire inflation?

I did my synthetic oil change at my TCH dealer and paid about 100$.

you think they have done all the following?

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1 Rotate tires Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots Inspect engine air filter Inspect steering linkage and boots Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis Applicable Footnotes:1) Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after replacing engine oil. Replace engine oil and oil filter 1 Rotate tires Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what's ROTATE TIRE?

Tire rotation is removing the tires and swapping them, front to back (no crossing).
This allows for more even tire wear, since the front tires do a lot more work than the rear.
Generally, all tires should be rotated every 6 months, or so.

Tire inflation with a gauge is a slight bit more accurate than touching and feeling.

Many dealers do what you ask them to do, so if you don't ask them to check the inflation, they might not. If you want a rotation, you will have to tell them, there is typically a separate charge for it.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-23-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Also you've probably by now noticed that your car makes a hissing sound when you shut it off. That's the TCH actually checking your tire pressure for you and if you're like me and forget to check regularly and refill it will tell you when it starts to get low so you can go fill them up. I don't know about what info the NAV system gives but non-NAV system will just have the alert when it's low

Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

oh, so I don't need to check tire or put air in it cos my TCH will show on odometer if tire pressure is low or needs air or needs rotation?

that's cool if its true.

last time it showed I had low washer fluid and I put a washer fluid and later the warning sign disapeared.

Will there be warning sign for like tire problems, engine oils, power steering oils, break oils and low coolant?

thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1
oh, so I don't need to check tire or put air in it cos my TCH will show on odometer if tire pressure is low or needs air or needs rotation?

that's cool if its true.

last time it showed I had low washer fluid and I put a washer fluid and later the warning sign disapeared.

Will there be warning sign for like tire problems, engine oils, power steering oils, break oils and low coolant?

thanks
Err, no.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on your Camry warns if your tire pressure is dangerously low.

I would advise you check the tire pressure yourself ($10 at your local pepboys/autozone or what-have-you for a tire pressure gauge and about 5-10 mins of your time).

Low tire pressure leads to poor fuel economy and increased tire wear (which means you have to replace your tires earlier).'

Also it does NOT tell you when to rotate. You rotate it to even out tire wear (cause the front will wear out faster than the rear). Usually rotate it at least once a year or every 10,000 miles. (i.e. every 2nd service).

Yes, there are warning lights for all that except brake fluid (if you have leak in brake fluid, I'd be worried lol).

Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1
I found this one out for maintanance on my 2007TCH.

What's tire rotation?

I normally look and touch my tires to check if they are low on air or not at risk to get flat while driving.

Some talk about tire pressure, what's this?

Is there alternative ways to check to see how good my tire is other then touch and feel?

what's tire inflation?

I did my synthetic oil change at my TCH dealer and paid about 100$.

you think they have done all the following?

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1 Rotate tires Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots Inspect engine air filter Inspect steering linkage and boots Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis Applicable Footnotes:1) Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after replacing engine oil. Replace engine oil and oil filter 1 Rotate tires Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
As Tideland said, the the TPMS (Tire Pressure Measurement System) notifies you when you have low tire pressure -- which causes increased wear and poorer economy. Another thing that the tire pressure does is insure that the tire sidewall stays properly attached to the rim, thereby, maintaining the proper support for the tire. Look at you wheel. See where the tire and the rim meet? That small area keeps the tire properly attached by the internal tire pressure forcing the bead of the tire against the rim. Now this pressure also helps to maintain the integrity of the tire. If you do not have enough pressure, on a tight turn (say exit ramp of interstate), the outer front tire sidewall could pull off the rim and the tire would just completely collapse. Not good.

Now a caveat about the TPMS: It alerts you when the tire pressure drops to less that 75% of the tire pressure when it was set. If you the system when your tire pressure is say 28 psi, you won't get an alert until that tire drops to 21 psi! TCH recommended pressure is 32 psi, so alarm = 24 psi. Many of us run 40 to 42 psi (alarm is therefore ~ 30 psi). Personally, I would prefer to have the the tolerance a lot tighter (say 10 % loss, or even allow customization), but the TPMS is better that nothing, IMHO.

Now, about your oil change price: Here in Fredericksburg, VA, USA I paid $49.95 for: Filter, filter gasket, 4 quarts 0-W-20 Synthetic oil. Included brake inspection. Tire rotation was 19.95. Granted, I could have done all this on my own.