Washing my TCH in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Washing my TCH in the winter

Hello, my name is Joe. And I live, in Pennsylvania...

Ok, that was lame, but here's my question:

In colder climates where rain, sleet, and snow are common from December until March, and where cinders and salt are used on the roadways, what do you guys suggest in terms of car washing?

My TCH is black, and I do have mudguards, but that doesn't prevent it from looking gray most of the winter without a proper wash. What I found last winter is that touchless car washes basically rinse the car off, but leave a salty, cindery, dirty residue/layer. My one stupid experience with an old-style car wash with those "scary" brush things left my soul (and my paint) crying.

Even the do-it-yourself washes are annoying (and cold), but it seems this is almost the best option. Any thoughts?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Washing my TCH in the winter

Joe,

If water is not an issue, two buckets (one to rinse the mitt and the other with soapy water), grit guards, good car shampoo, sheepskin mitt or equal, microfiber to dry and WARM clothes. Once clean, prepare for winter with 2 coats of Collinite 845 or 476 (lasts a LONG time but not a beauty wax) and keep after it.

In the spring, a good wash, clay, polish and then protect with the wax or sealant of your choice. I love black cars but like the saying goes, black is not a color, it's a part time job.

Visit us over at autogeek.com or autopia.com for help in detailing your car to it's best... There are some VERY helpful folks over there who are more than willing to help out.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

David:

This is how I would normally wash my car. I live on the top of a hill where it is very windy, and the mean temperature December-March is 34 degrees. Even with warm water, this does not make the job pleasant, and for most people, not even tolerable. The clothing isn't really an issue, but the hands are (I suppose I could use waterproof gloves while washing, but that's a bit cumbersome). Also, I worry about the water freezing on the car before I can rinse it off, and furthermore, would rather not break out the hose at home (usually we put it away so it doesn't freeze then crack during the winter).

Obviously, my usual technique would be best, but was wondering if anyone had other ways of doing a similar job during the winter months.

Thanks for the response though!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Pragmatist

I live in Florida. The winter car-wash procedure here is pretty much the same as in the summer. But I feel your pain.

Could you just drive it into town, to the place with the pressure washers and the blow dryers?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

In the Fall I like to give the car a good coat of wax. I use Meguiar's Tech Wax that is sold at specialty auto paint stores. We have a local store that supplies paint for hot rods. The cost of the wax is about $25 bottle. I used this wax for a Model A that I owned a few years back for a SUPER finish and shine. The dirt just doesn't stick!! The dirt, salt and Mag Chloride will just rinses off. This worked really well on our White Pearl finished TCH.

I hope this helps!

Bill

Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Touchless car washes really just rinse off the top layers of road grime, salt, etc. I think I need someone who lives farther north than Florida and Georgia to help me out on this one.

Having said this, is there such a thing as a carwash that uses brushes that are truly gentle on the car's paint? I guess I'm just a bit squimish about having something other than my loving and gentle caress (sheepskin mitt) touch the paint.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that (I hope we get some warm days before winter really strikes). If it performs as well as you say, I can use the touchless to rinse my car off without having to freeze my digits off. Do they allow salt to be used on the roads in Colorado?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that (I hope we get some warm days before winter really strikes). If it performs as well as you say, I can use the touchless to rinse my car off without having to freeze my digits off. Do they allow salt to be used on the roads in Colorado?
Minneapolis, MN here.... Salt on the roads??? Heck, by february, you'd swear that the asphalt was totally replaced with blocks of salt... Pure white - well - okay - Gray... ((Bleech!))

There are periods when I am not able to wash my car for 3 or 4 weeks or more due to the sub-zero or constant below freezing weather. When it does get washed, it's at a touch-less carwash..

My car sits in a heated parking ramp during the days at work but all the rest of the time it's outside - not garaged..

I will second the idea of giving her a really good coating of wax prior to the snow coming to stay...

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Joe/Bill,

I used to live in the UP of Mich. I have seen VERY cold winters before.... Having said that, Collinite is still the best for winter use ( I also have my beauty waxes such as WG Fuzion, Pinnacle Signature Series II, and Pinnacle Souveran for the rest of the year) when layered with two coats in the fall. This will help the washing go easier as the wax will last all winter.

Use the "spray and pray" car wash to get most of the grit off of the car and then use one of the rinseless car products (Poorboy's spray and wipe, DP waterless auto wash, Eco Touch waterless car wash or my favorite, Optimum No Rinse wash and shine or similar product) to finish cleaning. Use a VERY plush microfiber (something similar to the Supreme 530 from autogeek) lightly mist each panel and wipe. Turn the towel often and use another when they are soiled.

This will introduce some micro marring of the finish but the paint can be easily polished out in the spring.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-28-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I use the hand sprayer type at a car wash to wash off the underside. The wax will make the job much faster. In the past Colorado they used sand and a small amount of salt. Now they coat the highway with Magnesium Chloride before the storm hits. The Mac Chloride is causing all kinds of damage to steel parts. The sand is more like small stones. You can spot a tail-gater by all the chipped paint and cracked windshields!!
You will be at the car wash plenty with the Black paint. They look great so plan on some baths!!!

Bill

Quick Reply: Washing my TCH in the winter

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands