VSC System Failure! NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default VSC System Failure! NEED HELP!

I have been searching for an answer to the "check vsc system" error message. I have received this error as well as a list of others. The terrible thing is that my brakes locked up for the second time when this error comes on. I took it to the Toyota dealer and they said everything is fine, it hasnt registered with the onboard computer, and to be honest they didnt believe me. I almost got in an accident today because the brakes locked up again. "check vsc system" I have pictures to prove. What is wrong with my car.

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: VSC System Failure! NEED HELP!

Have you replaced the 12 volt battery in the trunk? If not, have it checked as it can cause a lot of similar problems with a hybrid. Also take the car to an independent mechanic with a GOOD scan tool (Factory Tech Stream, Snap-on, etc) and have them check the pending codes, current codes and code history. If the check light has come on, the code should be stored in the ECU.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

You don't give us much information about what is going on when the brakes lock up. I presume you were in motion. How fast? Were you braking at the time? How hard? Or did the brakes just spontaneously lock up? Did you stop straight, or veer? Were the brakes unlocked once you had stopped?

The VSC can apply the brakes (usually only to one wheel). That's how it works. I'm unsure if VSC on the TCH can only control the rear wheels or all four.

I'll defer judgement until you provide more information, but it appears this may well be a serious safety issue with your vehicle. If it's spontaneously locking the brakes while in motion, I would refuse to drive the car until the problem is understood and corrected, and I'd escalate it with Toyota and probably (depending on the answers to the above questions) with the NHTSA.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

I suspect that at some point in time the warnings will register and remain displayed on the dash. When this happens take it to the dealer. I hope you don't get the dreaded C1391 error code (I suspect you will). That's the code for a bad actuator. Toyota has recently redesigned the actuator and they're charging $2500 just for the part. The actuator that was supplied to the 07 Camry costs about $1700. I suspect that Toyota knows that there is a problem, hence the redesign. A quick Google search will reveal a strange proliferation of actuator failures in the 07 Camry within the past year. Many reports come from people with far fewer miles than me and some of the failures have been catastrophic. Mine failed at 155,000 miles. I've read reports that Toyota was helping some people by covering some of the costs of repairs. I wasn't so lucky. They just said "sorry we can't help you but here is a case # in the event that it does get recalled. I've filed a complaint with safecar.gov. I suspect this part will never be recalled until someone is seriously injured.

Last edited by LOL TCH; 01-24-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added text
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ask if this actuator is used on a non hybrid Camry. If not then I would suggest it should be considered part of the extended warranty on hybrid components.

I don't believe it will be on non hybrids as the braking system on a hybrid is much more complex due to the regenerative braking. The "actuator" should also be a non wearing part -- compared to brake pads for example.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

He must have solved whatever problem he had guys, his one and only post was over a month ago. I wish he would provide his "list of others" when he mentioned errors but he never came back.