Virginia HOV access

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Virginia HOV access

Rumor has it that the Gov. of this state has a bill he's going to sign to extend the HOV access for hybrids until July of 08.

Anyone (in Virginia) hear the same/different ?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: Virginia HOV access

Yes, I heard on WTOP radio over a week ago that we're good to go until then. It comes up for renewal every year, as I understand it.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I hadn't heard that.

Of course, unless you registered your car and got clean fuel tags before the deadline (was it Aug 06?) the annual renewal won't affect you. Unfortunately, mine wasn't registered until mid-Sep.

Last edited by klynch; 02-23-2007 at 05:11 AM. Reason: additional text
Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by klynch
I hadn't heard that.

Of course, unless you registered your car and got clean fuel tags before the deadline (was it Aug 06?) the annual renewal won't affect you. Unfortunately, mine wasn't registered until mid-Sep.
Those cars registered and applied for clean fuel plates before July 1, '06 got the original plate design, and can use all HOV lanes. Those after that date, like mine, got the newer plate design, and can't use I95/395 HOV, but can still use the HOV lane on I66 and the Dulles Toll Road. It clips about 25 minutes off my morning I66 commute.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right, klynch is wrong. Dulles Toll Road/66 is a major benefit.

I bought my TCH on 6/26, and Fitzgerald Toyota did the world's fastest registration process and got me the original plates, so I'm good to go anywhere.

Governor Kaine apparently wanted this to expire, but the bill passed the House and Senate without a single no vote, so he's really got no choice.

This is absolutely life changing for me--without it, I'd be totally screwed and my commute would close to double. Its already 1 hour + a day, it could easily pass 2 hours each way.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agreed. I live just north of Fredericksburg and my drive time got cut by 30-45 min each way. I was seriously looking at moving due to the traffic.

Funny though, they let the law enforcement vehicles drive it no problem. These are the "going home or to work" bunch that are not really on official business. I guess all you need is a red or blue light on your dash or visor and its o.k.

Just one prius or TCH puts out LESS emissions than four of the crown vic's combined! Yet, they still get to toodle thru the lanes. Ya' just KNOW there are a few cheaters that bought an old cop car just for that game. Sure wish they'd step up the enforcement onthe others that cruise thru with no passengers or a non-hybrid. Seems to be lots of Maryland plates doing it.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

jay_man2: What "newer plate design" are you referring to? I took delivery of my TCH in Sep 06 and as far as I can tell, have regular Virginia tags.

Since I commute from the south, I didn't take the toll road and I-66 into consideration. I can understand how HOV priveleges really affect your commute.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

jay_man2: What "newer plate design" are you referring to? I took delivery of my TCH in Sep 06 and as far as I can tell, have regular Virginia tags.

Since I commute from the south, I didn't take the toll road and I-66 into consideration. I can understand how HOV priveleges really affect your commute.
The plate before July 1 '06 has a symbol on the left then numbers and letters and the words "Clean Special Fuel" along the bottom edge in green.

The plate after July 1, '06 has numbers and letters on the left and the symbol on the right and the words "Clean Special Fuel" in black letters along the bottom edge like shown in my signature line.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting...I didn't get the "Clean Special Fuel" tag. Or maybe I should say my dealer didn't get the tag for me since they registered the car for me. Instead, I got the Jamestown 400th Anniversary tag.

I don't use 66 or the toll road often, but I wonder if the dealer should/will change these out for me.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Interesting...I didn't get the "Clean Special Fuel" tag. Or maybe I should say my dealer didn't get the tag for me since they registered the car for me. Instead, I got the Jamestown 400th Anniversary tag.

I don't use 66 or the toll road often, but I wonder if the dealer should/will change these out for me.
The dealer can't do it. You have to apply yourself. You fill in a form and mail or fax it to Richmond DMV, and they handle it. If you don't use the HOV lanes on I66 or the Dulles toll road, you don't need the tag or the extra $25 a year tag fee.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...pecialfuel.asp

Clean Special Fuel Vehicles/Plates

Beginning July 1, 2006, changes will be made to how clean special fuel plates are issued. The plates issued on July 1st and after will have a new design, the blue clean special fuel plate. Only vehicles registered by June 30th will be able to get the original design, the white clean special fuel plate.

If your qualifying vehicle is registered with the original design for clean special fuel license plates, you will be exempt from occupancy requirements in all (HOV) facilities in Virginia until July 1, 2007. In addition, you will be able to renew your registration or transfer your plates to another qualifying clean fuel vehicle, as long as ownership in the vehicle has not changed.

Vehicles registered with the newly designed blue plate will only be exempt from the occupancy requirements in the following HOV lanes until July 1, 2007: Interstate 66, the Dulles Toll Road and the Hampton Roads area. However, these vehicles WILL NOT be allowed to use the HOV lanes in the I-95/395 corridor unless they are being operated with the required number of occupants.

Effective July 1, 2006, the cost of all plates will be $25 per year, up from $10 per year. After the first 1,000 registrations, the extra $15 will go to the Virginia State Police to support and enhance its High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) enforcement efforts.

Qualifications for Clean Special Fuel License Plates
In order for your vehicle to qualify as clean fuel it must be exclusively powered by clean special fuel. The following types of fuels may qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:

Compressed Natural Gas
Electricity
Ethane
Hybrid Gasoline/Electric
Hydrogen
Hythane
Liquefied Natural Gas
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Methane
Solar
or Combination of two types of clean special fuels
Not all hybrids qualify for clean special fuel license plates, but the following do:

Toyota Prius, Honda Insight, Honda Civic, 2005 Ford Escape, 2006 Ford Escape, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 2006 Lexus RX400, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2006 Honda Accord, 2007 Toyota Camry, 2007 Lexus GS450h, 2007 Ford Escape, 2007 Mercury Mariner, 2007 Honda Accord and 2007 Toyota Highlander.

NOTE: As new hybrids qualify, this information will be updated. Flexible fuel vehicle engines that do not utilize only a clean special fuel DO NOT qualify for the plates.

Applying for Clean Special Fuel License Plates
You must submit a "License Plate Application" (VSA10) to include the entire vehicle identification number (VIN) and title number. If you have just purchased the vehicle, DMV can verify if your vehicle qualifies for clean fuel plates; however, we cannot process the transaction until your vehicle is titled on our automated system.

DMV's Special License Plate and Consignment Center is the only division that can issue, reissue or transfer clean special fuel plates. Your VSA 10 may be faxed directly to us at 804-367-1280 or mailed to DMV, P.O. Box 26668, Richmond, VA 23261-6668 room 316. These transactions cannot be conducted at a Customer Service Center or by a DMV Select agent, an automobile dealer, or via the Internet.

After thorough review of your application and documentation, the DMV Special License Plates and Consignment Center will determine whether or not your vehicle qualifies for clean special fuel plates. You will then be notified by mail, and if qualified, the clean special fuel license plates and an invoice for payment will be mailed to you unless payment has already been submitted.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vsa10.pdf (657.3 KB, 36 views)