Very happy with first commute mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Very happy with first commute mpg!

On this cold, 15 degree Rhode Island morning, in a mix of secondary roads and stop-and-go traffic on Route 195 and Rt. 95, my 8 mile trip gave me 34.1 mpg.
I'm pretty happy, seeing that the car has about 25 miles on it so far.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very happy with first commute mpg!

FYI...the computer on these cars is typically 1-1.5 MPG high, so don't be upset when you hand calculate the MPG.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
FYI...the computer on these cars is typically 1-1.5 MPG high, so don't be upset when you hand calculate the MPG.
Your such a kill joy!
(just kidding)

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

And, on my last tank it was about 4 mpg higher

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Hybrid Heaven!

I just got 595 miles out of a full tank of gas. It was averaging 38.6 mpg. Does this sound about right to you guys?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 AM

That's a reasonable amount. 600 mile tanks are perfectly reasonable with good mileage (and usually good, aka warm, weather). 700 mile tanks take some pretty impressive FE (I've managed some this past summer, but just be careful you don't overestimate how far you can get at your FE!). I think there might be one person who saw an 800 mile tank, heh.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
And, on my last tank it was about 4 mpg higher

Either you don't have a TCH or the one you are driving is defective. I have NEVER gotten a tank that was 4mpg lower hand calculated.

I don't do this, but do you remember to factor in the 0.5% or so difference in actual miles traveled compared to the miles the MFD gives you? I've noticed that TCH underestimates the actual miles traveled (my daily commute of 42.9 miles according to mapquest usually comes up as 42 miles on my TCH). There is a lot of debate over this in other threads. I just go by the MFD and multiply by 15 e.g. 40mpg means I can do 600miles with at least 1 gallon of gas left in my tank.

Also, filling up at different gas stations or different pumps might have an effect on your actual tank.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

SO today I tried a short experiment. I picked a gas station close to a downhill slope. After filling up, I turned onto the downhill and at EV mode all the way to the bottom of the road I watch my MPG readout of 99.9MPG!!! Woopsie doo!!!!! Has anyone seen this before?? I guess 100MPG has to be the absolute highest mpg for the TCH.

I also found out that to really do a 40MPG you will have to drive pretty slow. I tried so many ways to increase FE. After a 5.5 trip back home, my MPG readout showed 43.5mpg... Well I have to say, I now have a good feeling on how to get better MPG although I am not sure it fits my driving style. I am not your typical TCH owner - loves to drive real fast and aggresively too... I suppose my 18" rims doesn't help my FE either I found myself doing 30mph on a 45mph road just to keep the FE high!!! I don't think I enjoyed driving that slow. To me it ain't worth it. I'll take 30MPG and be happy. Last night, a silver TCH drove circles around me and no matter how fast I droveto catch a glimpse of the driver, he kept driving even faster ahead of me... I am talking 90+miles per hour here. That's my kinda TCH owner

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Drive safely, the life you save may be mine!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 AM

Rocket..........if that is your driving style, buying a hybrid was not a good move. I have had times when i drove like that..........fast, in my younger days. Not anymore........now i drive like a normal person. If you want to drive 90+ you need to know your going to get stopped for speeding...........sooner or later. Hybirds are not made for that type of driving. Not if you want to get decent fuel economy anyways. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Very happy with first commute mpg!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands