Upon further reflection, this stereo sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Upon further reflection, this stereo sucks.

Ok, I'm being a bit facetious here, but... why would they make the factory stereo so excellent in all other respects, and then saddle it with this crap display? I had the XM radio put in over a month ago, and I think maybe once or twice has the full song title or artist name had room to show. This display is the most cutting edge car stereo technology of 1992.

In retrospect, I should've put that $600 towards a good aftermarket stereo with sat radio. I still might. Anyone wanna buy a Canadian XM unit?
:>

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Upon further reflection, this stereo sucks.

I have the JBL (non-NAV) stereo, and I agree that the user interface is lousy. The limited display for XM is horrible (why can't it scroll like for MP3 tracks?) and I really dislike how the entire center console panel is lit up in that aqua blue color. However, the sound quality is one of the best I've ever heard for factory stereo. The speakers rattle a bit, but otherwise the headunit seems to decode the signal very well.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

Yah, I did comment in here when I first got it that it sounds excellent. That kept me going for awhile, but sooner or later you start noticing the annoyances.

How do you make it scroll for MP3s, by the way?

Originally Posted by flopshot
I have the JBL (non-NAV) stereo, and I agree that the user interface is lousy. The limited display for XM is horrible (why can't it scroll like for MP3 tracks?) and I really dislike how the entire center console panel is lit up in that aqua blue color. However, the sound quality is one of the best I've ever heard for factory stereo. The speakers rattle a bit, but otherwise the headunit seems to decode the signal very well.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have the upgraded JBL with Nav. I don't mind it. It is an upgrade from the Mercedes junk that I had to deal with. In other words, there are a lot worse models of stereos.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by titaniummd
It is an upgrade from the Mercedes junk that I had to deal with. In other words, there are a lot worse models of stereos.
I disagree; the Mercedes is the worst! Worst stereo since a '73 Pinto which only had FM mono. Also, worst cruise control. Worst climate control. Worst transmission (all three of them in the first five years). Worst door locks. Worst reliability. (It did drive well, however!!!)

To compare the TCH to a Mercedes is a sweet orange to a rotten apple comparison. No, I will never be buying another MB.

On the other hand, my TCH stereo is not as good as my prior Lexus, Volvo, or Saab stereos, but that is comparing an excellent stereo to the best car stereos that I've owned.

-- Alan

Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JTode
Yah, I did comment in here when I first got it that it sounds excellent. That kept me going for awhile, but sooner or later you start noticing the annoyances.

How do you make it scroll for MP3s, by the way?
Hold the TEXT button down and it gives you the next 10 characters of the display.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

After going to the dealer where I purchased my TCH and getting a price of $845 to install XM radio, I purchased the vaistech model for $224 and installed it myself - Which I found quite easy. Anyway, the vaistech displays 16 charachters and I have no problems with that. I guess the extra 6 charachters makes a big difference.

As for the JBL with NAV, I don't think it sounds as good as the Bose unit I had in my Chevy Trailblazer. The JBL sounds kind of muddy to me, if that makes any sense. It's either to bassy, or not enough. Also, the NAV screen is hard to see in bright sunlight, especially if I have the sunroof open.

Also, I think the NAV is terrible compared to the Garmin that I was used to.

I still love my TCH though, 40 MPG beats the **** out of 14 in my TB in my 70 mile round trip to work.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think the sound system is GREAT!. Thanks Flopshot for that tip. That was one thing that has annoyed me.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Anyone know if there's a Sirius module available?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by JTode
Anyone know if there's a Sirius module available?
I had Sirius installed at the port, I assume, with 9 months free service, so there is at least one sort of "factory" unit and there is plenty of units that you can install yourself. For the person complaining about "muddy" sound there is way to boost low or high frequency under audio menu, have you tried that? Also, usually putting better speakers inside the car makes all the difference in the sound and it's not that difficult, I think rear speakers you can reach from inside of a trunk and that could be all you need. Front and door speakers are little more tricky but still doable.