Tire size re: mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Recovering Nerd
Default Tire size re: mileage

I'm thinking about replacing the stock wheels with 17" rims, and I was just curious if anyone has any data with regard to mpg drop on the 17". I'm assuming there will be some hit but I just like the looks of the slightly bigger wheels. Or is it so insignificant that it's not even an issue?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire size re: mileage

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_rim_o...change_mileage
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4LoCalc....peedoConverter
(amongst other web pages)
It's just a car, enjoy the road, don't fret a few MPG one way or the other.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM

manual says one size up in rims goes with 1 mpg loss. like haroldo said - don't freak out over it. though i did some math time ago, and 1 mpg drops adds up for high mileage drivers. costs almost 10 cents a mile at current gas prices.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Recovering Nerd

Coming from a previous vehicle that got 22mpg over 140,000 miles, it's a nice cost savings to get 38mpg (so far, although 40+ would be heaven!). Maybe I'll go with the 17" wheels and keep the pressure up at 40psi... That should equalize the amount of rubber hitting the pavement (generalization)...

Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 AM

Just get what makes you happy, life's short and the difference in cost of driving isn't going to change anyone's life. If it's a major concern, just drive less often and you'll save back the money lost on the larger rims.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM

I would think, the mpg loss would be due more to the tires than rims, unless you will get low resistance tires, at least as good as OEM. After wearing out my original Michelins I got Altimax tires, exactly same size etc and lost 2-3 mpg in the process. I have much better traction on ice and wet now (part of the reason I switched), but in the long run it would be cheaper for me to pay much more for low resistance tires.
To paraphrase Haroldo: It's just the car, enjoy the road, don't fret how the car looks like, can't see from inside anyhow.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pete4
To paraphrase Haroldo: It's just the car, enjoy the road, don't fret how the car looks like, can't see from inside anyhow.
Wow, I got me a disciple!
You are now Peter The Patron Saint of Hybridity

Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Recovering Nerd

If we didn't care what the car looks like on the outside, we'd all be driving a yugo, our some other ugly car. that's why we spend so much money on tinting, auto care products and other stuff... I like the fuel efficiency AND want it to look good when I approach it. kinda like buying a home. first impressions leave a lasting effect. but, I understand the point. we all buy on emotions, but have to try and justify to ourselves and significant others with some sport of logical reason why, even if those reasons make no sense to anybody but ourselves...

Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djeung
If we didn't care what the car looks like on the outside, we'd all be driving a yugo, our some other ugly car. that's why we spend so much money on tinting, auto care products and other stuff... I like the fuel efficiency AND want it to look good when I approach it. kinda like buying a home. first impressions leave a lasting effect. but, I understand the point. we all buy on emotions, but have to try and justify to ourselves and significant others with some sport of logical reason why, even if those reasons make no sense to anybody but ourselves...
Couldn't agree more--I love walking up to my car(s) and loving how they look.

On another note I've wonder how a 17 would feel steering wise as the 16s are a little sloppy in the corners when turning....

Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by jetttstream
On another note I've wonder how a 17 would feel steering wise as the 16s are a little sloppy in the corners when turning....
I have 17 rims on mine. I didn't notice any difference when I went from 16's to 17's. But then, I live in Florida. There are basically no curves in the roads, here.

Quick Reply: Tire size re: mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands