Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

I'm glad that Toyota gave us the pass-through 60/40 rear seats, because today I needed that feature TWICE today.

The Camry is much longer than my previous car, so I needed to add shelving in the garage to make extra room. Fortunately, the shelves and brackets fit through the Camry's trunk pass-through nicely.

Then later today, I bought a 6' x 9' rug that *somehow* had to fit in the Camry's trunk. Voila! It fit perfectly through the pass-through.

Elsewhere, I read some concerns about the Camry's trunk seeming small, due to IMA/battery space requirements. But so far I've found it to be nicely-sized, well-shaped, and more than adequate for normal needs.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

Thanks Steve, your post gives me hope for the small trunk. I have had a 95 Ford Taurus for 8 years and the trunk is quite big. So when I saw the Camry LE trunk I was glad but when I saw the TCH trunk - oh my. I am glad you got to use the pass-thru and make it work. There is hope yet.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Arrow Re: Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

Keep in mind that my last three cars were: Mazda Miata, Honda Insight, and Lexus SC430. All are two-passenger cars with microscopically small trunks.

But I've always found ways to turn even small-car trunks into pint-sized moving vans when necessary. My theory is that ANY trunk is big enough, if you're creative enough.

By the way, my first-and-only-other four-door car was in 1983. Not sure what use I'll find for a back seat in the Camry.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Default Re: Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

Why'd you make such a radical departure from an Insight to a Camry? You must have difficulty getting accustomed to a car that large... hell, it seems large to me and it's only a bit bigger than the Civic Hybrid I'd driven before.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Arrow Re: Thankful for the rear-seat pass-through

Well, my main car was the Lexus, and I used the Insight for commuting from SD-LA several times a week, as I mentioned. I don't do that commute much anymore, and I couldn't find a good reason to keep two cars. So, the goal was to find a car that had many of the luxury features of the Lexus, but the economy and fun of a hybrid. Until the Camry came out, I had my order in for the hybrid Civic. Personally, I prefer small cars, but there are concessions to make in the interest of peace at home. Therefore, we got what seems to be the best of all worlds in the Camry Hybrid.