TCH vs Prius

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default TCH vs Prius

Anyone have a good thread or site that gets into more details about a 2013 TCH vs Prius? I like the look and dash of TCH better, but the MPG of the Prius and slightly better price. Driving at least 100 mi/day doing home health work.

Last edited by Ralith; 05-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH vs Prius

The Camry has more room for passengers and cargo. It has more HP and as a result better acceleration for passing on the highway. On the other hand the Prius has better fuel mileage. For appearance, well, what you see is what you get.

The technology used is very similar. The only significant difference I am aware of is that the Prius uses a final chain drive in the transaxle, while the Camry has all gears and no chain. But, since the Prius has quite a bit less power the chain is probably OK.

My thoughts are that if you don't need the space, and are OK with the look and acceleration of the Prius, then go for it.

A good independent reference is Consumer Reports. It is very cheap to sign up for an on line subscription. It would let you do a very detailed comparison.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ralith, why bother asking here or anywhere else? Go to any dealership, up front tell them you want to ONLY test both, and see for yourself.
Personally, I found Prius V to be very spacious inside and, because it is hatch, it is much more utilitarian than a family sedan like TCH. You will have much more cargo room in it.
You will NOT have dynamics of TCH. But do you need them?
Truly, it is question of - do I drive alone or I have to fit wife and 2 kids there daily?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
The Camry has more room for passengers and cargo. It has more HP and as a result better acceleration for passing on the highway. On the other hand the Prius has better fuel mileage. For appearance, well, what you see is what you get.

The technology used is very similar. The only significant difference I am aware of is that the Prius uses a final chain drive in the transaxle, while the Camry has all gears and no chain. But, since the Prius has quite a bit less power the chain is probably OK.

My thoughts are that if you don't need the space, and are OK with the look and acceleration of the Prius, then go for it.

A good independent reference is Consumer Reports. It is very cheap to sign up for an on line subscription. It would let you do a very detailed comparison.
I have Consumer Reports, and they rate TCH very highly, but also the Prius. I was hoping for some insight from people who have owned and/or driven them for more then just a test drive.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Ralith, why bother asking here or anywhere else? Go to any dealership, up front tell them you want to ONLY test both, and see for yourself.
Personally, I found Prius V to be very spacious inside and, because it is hatch, it is much more utilitarian than a family sedan like TCH. You will have much more cargo room in it.
You will NOT have dynamics of TCH. But do you need them?
Truly, it is question of - do I drive alone or I have to fit wife and 2 kids there daily?
Well, I can test drive both, but that's different then owning them both for years.
Most of this driving is going to be me alone, I am married, but no kids. We also have a 09 Corolla that my wife mainly drives.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Then Prius is your choice. I drive alone and am 6'5''. I fit into new Prius V very comfortably.
Historically, Prii have been almost golden standard of reliability. Associate has one, and it's lame to drive. Otherwise, they are pretty much run forever vehicles. Why do you think there are so many taxi cabs of them around?
Like I said - cargo space is superior to TCH. It's a hatch. You lower rear seats, or even pull them out, and you have a cave for your stuff. No way to match this with TCH.
But with TCH, you can hit 60 in less than 8 seconds. No way to do this in Prius.
This is why you need to test them. It is VERY PERSONAL, just like music.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I rented a Prius for 3 long-weekend trips back in 2006-7. I liked them a lot, but to me they felt a little skittish in the rain. And my wife hates the Prius shape. So I went with the 2007 TCH. I liked it so much, I bought a 2013 last month. It's the first time I've ever bought the same car twice. (I've owned a 626, Altima, Passat, and now 2 Camry Hybrids).

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, my wife doesn't care for the hatch back, so leaning towards the Camry. The MPG and price/APR is better for the Prius, but only by a few $1,000 over several years.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Ralith
Yeah, my wife doesn't care for the hatch back, so leaning towards the Camry. The MPG and price/APR is better for the Prius, but only by a few $1,000 over several years.
From the sound of it... You would probably regret owning a Prius. They are a wonderful cars and I personally like the versatility. However, the Camry is a "real car" based on a proven design concept over many years. If you spend any time at all on the interstates, you will be much more comfortable in the Camry.

The TCH gets great mileage. But, there are times when you do actually need power. The car will get up and go when you need it to. With the Prius you are dead in the water.

FWIW...

Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Have you seen the Pontiac Aztek? that's how I see the Prius. I'd go for a camry, better looking and it looks like a normal car.

Quick Reply: TCH vs Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands