TCH Oil Changes - Is the dealer a good place to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default TCH Oil Changes - Is the dealer a good place to go?

I'm new to the group, and a new hybrid vehicle owner, so please bear with me if I seem foolish.

I just got the receipt for my first oil change at 5,000 miles. They changed the oil, topped off all fluids, adjusted the tire pressure, balanced and rotated the tires, and added an additive for fuel injector and gas treatment.

(I usually don't have all this stuff done, but I'm doing a lot of driving over the next month and I thought it might be a good idea when they suggested rotating the tires.)

The total for parts was $50.00.

They charged labor at $65.00.

Total cost was $115.00 plus taxes.

I don't feel good about their prices. Is the dealer a good place to go for oil changes on hybrid vehicles? What about your friendly neighborhood garage? Would it be better to just go there? Are oil changes on hybrids standard, just like they are for non-hybrid vehicles?

How does all this affect the warrantee on the vehicle? Can I go to my regular repair man, not associated with Toyota, and have him change the oil on my hybrid at a better price? Would the warrantee still be in tact?

Thanks,
jr

Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Oil Changes - Is the dealer a good place to go?

Wow, that seems pretty excessive. When I went to my dealer for my first oil change (just said oil change, vs 5k service, I don't know if that changed what they included) I thought it wasn't that bad, though I'd have to find the slip to remember the cost. I just went in for my 10k service (specified 10k service this time) and I think all-told it was closer to 50. Maybe a bit more but nothing close to 115. Admittedly this is all based on my inefficient memory--wait, just verified (handy thing, online credit card account access) my total for 10k service was about 53-54 dollars. And yes, as I thought I remembered, my 5k oil change was around $25. A little more than I used to pay for my old car at the place I took it, but I thought very reasonable.

$115 is definitely overcharging, whether because they did more than you needed or charged way more on time, or what.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: TCH Oil Changes - Is the dealer a good place to go?

Originally Posted by jrus
Total cost was $115.00 plus taxes.

I don't feel good about their prices. Is the dealer a good place to go for oil changes on hybrid vehicles? What about your friendly neighborhood garage? Would it be better to just go there? Are oil changes on hybrids standard, just like they are for non-hybrid vehicles?

How does all this affect the warrantee on the vehicle? Can I go to my regular repair man, not associated with Toyota, and have him change the oil on my hybrid at a better price? Would the warrantee still be in tact?
You can have anyone change the oil. It does not require the dealer. I have been going to the dealer but I have been very specific. I tell them I want only an oil change. I supply my own oil. They have been charging me $25 to change the oil. What is nice, is that they also check all the other things that go with a normal service and charge only for the oil. As far as I can determine, the oil change is the only thing you need to keep the car under warantee for the first 30,000 miles.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My daughter can do the 5k service on this car. She is 8 years old.

Keep good records.

Save your money.

$25 @ WalMart for the top-end synthetic oil and filter.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, guys. Like I said, I feel foolish in retrospect. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow...it probably won't make much difference but it seems like they just love to nickel and dime their customers.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ditto to what McGyver said. I go to Wal-Mart, get the oil and filter off the shelf, take it to the tech, and go eat Subway for lunch while they do the work.

I had the oil done and all four corners balanced and rotated for $60.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

Ditto to what McGyver said. I go to Wal-Mart, get the oil and filter off the shelf, take it to the tech, and go eat Subway for lunch while they do the work.

Ya, As soon as you leave, the cheap oil goes in your engine and your oil in the tec's toolbox, seen it done many times lol Bought a lot of good ole Amsoil that way (cheap)

Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I did my 5k oil change myself. Bought Genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil, oil filter and oil plug washer from a dealer here. Cost me 30 minutes and $31.56 to do the oil change. I'll go to WalMart to do the tire rotation.

This way I know I'm putting the right oil, right amount and right oil filter. I just don't want to be scammed by anybody.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Yuba City Toyota - $45 for 5K and 10K service. Drop off, hour wait max.

$115 is a rip off.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Agree with all that $115 is way out of line.

I went with the Toyota Prepaid service plan 4yr/55k for $875. It works out to about $50 per oil change. Yes, that's a little more expensive than if I did it myself or went to Jiffy Lube, but I prefer spending the few extra bucks to ensure that I can hold Toyota accountable if anything goes wrong while my car is still under warranty (I also purchased the Platinum extended warranty).

Quick Reply: TCH Oil Changes - Is the dealer a good place to go?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands