TCH Highway Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Owner
Default TCH Highway Mileage

Hi everyone;

Need a new car and I am looking to buy a TCH. I have a daily commute of 140 miles round trip; open, flat, straight two lane, 75 mph with little traffic and one stop light (West Texas). I am currently looking at a 4 cyl Accord and the TCH.

What mpg would you project under those conditions? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Old 01-19-2008, 05:58 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: TCH Highway Mileage

Dont know if you will look at one or not but an HCH2 would probably average 45-50mpg at 75mph - if AC not used much. Prius would probably be similar.

I would expect the TCH and Accord to turn in numbers no higher than 40mpg at that speed.

Going only 70, 65 mph... would get you an extra 5, 10 mpg respectively...

Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm in FL where it's similarly flat. When I drive under those conditions...and keep it around 70 miles per hour I think 40 mpg is about right to expect...even with the AC on (ECO MODE). Usually when I travel that way I have passengers and luggage (i.e. > weight), so you might do better as others here do. Note that since frequenting these forums I've increased my typical mileage by increasing PSI etc. You can click on my signature and see my tank history to note the increase. Driving experience with the TCH tends to increase MPG. Amazingly, even if you drive the TCH like any other vehicle you'll probably do well...all with adequate power and more power than a 4cyl TCH. BTW, cruise control is your friend for MPG at any speed.

The TCH is quiet and comfortable for my size (5' 9" average weight) with decent sound system. I'd want at least that level of comfort. Bluetooth for the phone is also a plus and with your use I suspect that is worthwhile. You don't say your other usage but I'll offer an opinion on NAV...I'm glad I didn't get it and prefer my portable Garmin Nuvi 350. There's much in these forums on the TCH NAV system so others may feel differently.

While the Honda Accord 4 cyl will no doubt offer similar comfort...I doubt (without any research) that you'd approach the mileage and long term resale value. If after completing your hybrid research, you're still considering the
4 cyl Honda I'd look at the conventional Camry 4 Cyl closely. Hope this explains my bias...HCH not even a contender...but the Prius, as others here are likely to point out, might suit your need too.

Last edited by wdmark; 01-19-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Owner

Thanks. I try to keep the speed down but in West Texas if your going 65 or 70 on the back roads, with the F250's and other trucks, your a speed bump .

Old 01-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phasor
Thanks. I try to keep the speed down but in West Texas if your going 65 or 70 on the back roads, with the F250's and other trucks, your a speed bump .
I know, I witnessed it myself. I was in Texas one day only, crossing East to West on I-20 I think. Highway moving 80-90 mph , stupid pickup truck kept 10 feet distance behind the bus at that speed (I guess the bus wasn't going fast enough, or maybe he was drafting), somebody hit the breaks ahead, bus hit the breaks so did the pickup truck driver behind, rear locked up on him and the truck went sideway as I was driving along him in the left lane. Lucky for me the truck went off the road to the right (instead of the left, into my car) sideway, flipping and rolling few times in the ditch along. On one hand I felt very sorry for him and hoped he was OK, on the other hand it was his foolishness and lack of proper driving skills that caused this accident, at least no one else was involved. I didn't even stop, due to dense traffic I couldn't even pull over until a mile away and there were plenty of other drivers behind me to help.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

My wife drives a similar length commute and speed. There are some hills, and traffic however. She's been getting 36-37 mpg here in NJ. Since the car is only 2 weeks old, I expect even better down the road.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 PM

I think you should be able to get at least 40mpg, if not more, if the roads are really flat. I found that I get really great FE when traveling 65mph, but at 70mph the ICE tends to kick in more.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Owner

Well, based on your feedback I made the deal. Pick it up on Monday. Basic TCH with audio pckage.

I'll keep you advised on the real numbers.

thanks everyone

Tom

Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, based on your feedback I made the deal. Pick it up on Monday. Basic TCH with audio pckage.

I'll keep you advised on the real numbers.

thanks everyone

Tom
Congratulations! All the best with your new toy.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 AM

Well, based on your feedback I made the deal. Pick it up on Monday...I'll keep you advised on the real numbers...
Congratulations!
Don't be disappointed with the initial MPG readings. I got my car two months ago, as a reference I set up a New Owners FAQ that might be of assistance to you. Click the link in my signature.
Good luck and drive safely!

Quick Reply: TCH Highway Mileage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands