Stupid Smart Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Stupid Smart Key

I was out with some friends this past weekend. I noticed when leaving the car in the restaurant parking lot, the car would not "flash or beep" when pushing the button on the door handle. Also, pushing the button on the "fob" did nothing. So, I lock the car with the switch on the inside and leave for dinner. We come back out later and the car would not open electrically. I had to use the key in the fob to open the door. Then the car would not start using the push button. I tried holding the key up to the button and nothing. So, I pulled the owners manual out again to be sure I was doing all of this right and after trying it over and over I finally got it to start (after about 5 minutes).

It was a little embarrassing. But, "stuff happens". I'm using my spare key for now.

Does anyone know what the life expectancy of the battery is for the fobs? Should I start stockpiling the battery's and have one in the glove box just in case...?

Also, will the car start with no battery in the fob, by holding the fob up to the button? I still have not picked up a new battery for the old one. I need to read up on how to change it and which battery to use. I am assuming this is ridiculously simple.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stupid Smart Key

they last up to 3 years, but if you charge put the key near (within 3 feet of) a charging device (cell phone) or a fluorescent light it will shorten the life as the key wont go to sleep.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Pragmatist

The battery in the fob is very easy to change. Just remove the emergency key, and use the tip of the emergency key to pry open the clam-shell case. The battery is mounted on the back-side of the circuit board, so you have to remove the circuit board to get at it. No tools needed. It takes a CR1632 battery.

The battery should last about 3 years, but can be run down prematurely if stored in an environment with lots of EMF noise. They are so cheap, though, that there really isn't a good reason to wait until it dies. Just make sure to put the old one in the recycle bin, instead of the landfill. I change mine about once a year.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for the input. I searched and figured out how to change the battery. Thanks for posting that. I have not done it yet. 3 years is good enough for me!

I have been reading that there is a warning somewhere in the car that tells you that the battery is running low? Or maybe it was the symptoms (too many margaritas last night)?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by litespeed
Thanks for the input. I searched and figured out how to change the battery. Thanks for posting that. I have not done it yet. 3 years is good enough for me!

I have been reading that there is a warning somewhere in the car that tells you that the battery is running low? Or maybe it was the symptoms (too many margaritas last night)?
Batteries are available from Amazon for about $2 shipped. Might be cheaper elsewhere.

The display screen should show "Remote Battery low" or some such message. Mine happened last December but I can't remember the message.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Professor Emeritus

Hmmmm.... I never saw a warning message. It worked one minute and then it didn't. I hope the key is not damaged. I'm going to get a new battery here in a few hours and see if it still works.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

At about 3 years, I noticed the range of my fob was getting shorter and shorter (I often lock the car from the fob rather than pushing the button on the door handle). I never saw any warnings or had any real problems, but replacing my battery restored the range to as-new.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Professor Emeritus

Yup. I just replaced the battery. Took about 30 seconds. Works like new.

No warning message though. Don't really care, it was easy enough. I wish all automotive problems were this simple to fix.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Pragmatist

It takes much less time to change the battery, than it takes to read the owners manual, think about the problem, ask this forum, or even google the issue.

I bought a card of a half dozen batteries from someone on ebay a couple years ago. They have an expiration date of something like 2018, IIRC. I just change the battery soon after the start of a new year, and don't worry about it the rest of the time.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Professor Emeritus

That is a great idea! Thanks for all the input!

Regards,

AJ

Quick Reply: Stupid Smart Key

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands