Snow Tires speed rating

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Along for the ride.....
Default Snow Tires speed rating

I decided on the Primacy Alpins PA3 from Michelin and in pricing them found out that BJs won't install them because they have a speed rating of "H" which is lower than the car requires.

Yet Michelin's own site recommends them for the TCH.

Anyone else have an issue with this?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Snow Tires speed rating

Originally Posted by Mainer
I decided on the Primacy Alpins PA3 from Michelin and in pricing them found out that BJs won't install them because they have a speed rating of "H" which is lower than the car requires.

The TireRack site shows the H rated tires to 130 mph.

The V rated is at 149 mph. Looks like the Camry Hybrid is governed at 120 mph.

This clip below shows a guy making three runs up to 120. The first run he forgot to turn off the traction control which slowed his acceleration. The second run looks good. I noticed the battery was low on the 3rd try. I think he may have also found the end of the test track from the sounds at the end of play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWVFaP23W8

Last edited by rburt07; 12-17-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 AM

How did he film that?
Either he hand held the camera or someone else leaned over and held it while intermingling arms with the driver.
In either event, car owner, driver and/or camera person are extraordinarily irresponsible.
It's very easy to lose control of a car at that speed while fooling around.
And for what goal.... trying to preserve the video ... of a speedometer?
What was the lunatic thinking?
Did he think he had another Hindenburg Explosion or Zapruda film?
Then, (just when you think he couldn't get any more inane) he proudly boasts to the world his achievement by uploading to YouTube.
What a moron!

Last edited by haroldo; 12-17-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mainer

I use the Primacy Alpin PA3s, and have had no issues. I don't plan on racing in the snow-covered winter roads, so I can't see any reason to worry about the speed rating for my winter tires. The high speed rating on the OEM tires just happens to coincide with the fact that they are LRR tires. Toyota (as far as I have been able to determine) is not asking for that speed rating.

I'd look for somewhere else to install your tires. The PA3s are an excellent choice.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM

I don't know about that BJ guy. While ago I was buying 2 front tires for another car and the guy told me he won't install the tires if the front to back speed difference is more than 1 speed rating, but it had nothing to do with speed: higher rated tires had stronger, stiffer sidewall and having different stiffness of tires would make the car less stable. Also couple days ago I was shopping for new tires for my TCH and H rated tires were suggested to me by the tire shop and he knew I have V rated Michelins right now, albeit I'm changing all 4. To me, it makes no sense what he told you: Most winter tires I've seen are T rated at most, we can't use those either?
In theory speed rating (sidewall stiffness) of the tire could affect VSC (stability control), but so it would tire pressure, me think and many owners run theirs at much higher level, so are many who don't check often and run low.
BTW, How much are the tires?
I'm looking at either Primacy MXV4 or General Altimax HP, seem both are well rated at tirerack. Shop suggested Michelin Energy EA3, but I can't find any info on these and really don't know what to pick.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Along for the ride.....

spam above - reported to admin