Sirius or XM installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast deluxe
Default Sirius or XM installed

Hey everybody!
Has anyone gone back to the dealer and had the Sirius or XM reciever installed in the TCH? Is it a simple install, or do they have to dismantle a lot of the dash? Any wire cutting? Also, where does the antenna go? Do the systems use the glass antenna?
Spence

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sirius or XM installed

I have had my TCH for over a year. When I got it I went to a different dealer than the one I bought it from. His staff installed an XM radio. I ddi not watch the installation but I sat there for about 2 hours or so. It works great. The antenna sits on the shelf behind the rear seats. You can see the antenna through the back windows

Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'd suggest searching the existing threads--I know there are other discussions out there in the group. Including some talking about problems with satellite vs tinting, etc. Definitely information and discussions already available to read through and reactivate....

Just a suggestion.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

My dealer wanted $700 to install XM, which I thought was ridiculous. I ended buying an XM module from vaistech.com and a XM tuner from Circuit City. I think it was about $275 total. Anyway, you have to remove the radio which is easier than I thought (with some help and pictures from this forum), but there is no splicing involved. The module plugs into the back of the radio and there are no power connections as it is powered directly from the radio. Works great for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased the XM kit from the dealer for like 260 and installed it myself...the actual unit goes in the trunk and you have to remove the radio to plug in the wire from the back...total time is like 90 minutes...I was able to find the instructions on how to remove the trim pieces on the internet...I still have the PDF file I can send you...it's not hard as long as you are patient and handy...I couldn't justify paying the dealer over 250 in labor charges. sounds great by the way, much better than the skyfi2 i had installed in my prius with an fm modulator

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast deluxe

My email is f4i-guy@***.net, and I' love to see the PDF file. While handy, I am a littl eleary of scarring or damaging interio trim pieces. Do you have to run the wire from the radio to the trunk? Also, is there a wire that runs in view from the antenna to the reciever? I'm pretty picky I guess, but prefer my built in XM to look built in. I also need to check that if I install myself, that it does not void any warranties. The dealer in which I purchaed the car also warrants the car's engine for life... as long as I follow scheduled maintinence and perform no repairs on my own. Soomething to check i guess. Thnanks for the help, and hopefully I will save a bit doing it myself

Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Terk XM-Direct. $99 for parts and 90 minutes for self-install.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...er-gen6-11754/