Roady XT (XM radio) noisy in TCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Roady XT (XM radio) noisy in TCH

I've had my TCH about a week now and since it didn't come with XM (and I didn't want to pay $500 from dealer) I thought I would see if my Roady XT would work. Perviously I had it in my Altima and it worked great using the cassette adaptor.

In the TCH (equipped with NAV) I get a high pitched squeal on the audio system while using the Roady XT. I'm using a steroe cable to connect the Roady to the vehicle using the aux audio jack located just below the nav unit (the jack in the back of the storage compartment).

Anyone else had this experience or found a workaround for it?

Thanks,

John

Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roady XT (XM radio) noisy in TCH

You need to get a ground loop filter.
Read this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ht=crutchfield

Old 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

More than likely the noise is entering through the DC power input.
If you can, try running the XM receiver with its internal batteries to see if the noise goes away. Then get a good DC Noise Filter and splice it into the power cord. Try Ham Radio Outlet (about $30).

Noise can also enter on the audio cable between the XM Reciever and the Car Stereo. To block that try running the audio cable through a ferrite core (3 or more loops through the core if possible).

Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

To eliminate the noice I have a PAC SNI-1/3.5 Minijack Ground Loop Noise Isolator from Crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vRq8uUf...or&i=127SNI135 ) with a 3.5mm cable splitter to attach both the Sirius and a Belkin retracting 3.5mm plug for my iPod - and - a dual power cable from Bell to connect the Sirius and iPod power cables. When I want the iPod I turn off the Sirius. I found that prior to using the Ground Loop Noise Isolator the Sirius was hissing at reasonable volume levels - once I installed the isolator I have had no noise on either the Sirius or the iPod. Despite all this stuff in the cubby, including the Starmate 4, it all fits nicely and you can't see any of it in back of Starmate 4.

Good Luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got the Crutchfield part for my Prius, too, and it works great. I thought this was just a hybrid thing until I found out that my parents Sienna has the same problem. Just glad the fix is simple and inexpensive!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used that same Crutchfield GLI for my Roady XT, and it worked great. Since then, I removed the Roady, and put in the Harman Kardon Drive+Play iPod interface, and it removes the whine with the HK unit, but it also removes ALL of the low frequencies from the audio signal. I have actually removed the GLI from my setup to get the bass back, but this means I have that pesky whine and hiss again. The HK unit has been a bit of a disappointment to me as a result...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have an extra one of these PAC SNI-1/3.5 Minijack Ground Loop Noise Isolator - I ordered it for my husband, and he didn't need it. Mine works great. If I find it, I'll let ya know. I know it's around here somewhere...

Old 05-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

Figures...I just ordered one yesterday<g>. Thanks anyway Elsifer! Sounds like, for the most part, others have had good results with them, so I'll just be happy to get it working.

John

Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't get me wrong...I did have excellent results with the PAC GLI with my Roady XT. It is the Harman Kardon unit that is giving me fits.