Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

I've never replaced the blade insert (rubber) only on my other cars, instead I would replace the whole assembly (the 'frame').
I was told (not sure if it's correct, or not) that the assembly looses tension over time and should be replaced. Doing so, presumably, gives a better wipe (that doesn't sound good, but hopefully you know what I mean).
On the TCH, I really like the look of the assembly. It looks more substantial.
Is it easy to replace the blade only?
Does the assembly need replacement to operate effectively?
Which brand is the best value? Not looking for the cheapest, but not looking to spend an arm and leg, either.
Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

The wiper blade assembly does eventually need to be replaced. All springs do loose tension over many thousands of cycles. But they do not need to be replaced every time. A wiper blade frame should last several years, while the insert should be replaced once or twice a year.

Last time I priced them, the wiper blade assembly (with the frame) for the TCH were very expensive. I guess it is because they are aerodynamic. The cheapest prices I found were $22 for the right side, $36 for the left, plus shipping. That is about five times the price of almost any other brand. The rubber inserts cost only about $4 each. The "Camry Hybrid" parts catalog has only the assembly, but not the insert. The regular "Camry" catalog also has the insert. They fit just fine.

It takes only a few minutes to install an insert.
1. Remove the wiper blade frame from the wiper arm. (It is much easier to do steps 2-6 on a table.)
2. There are two metal strips on the sides of the rubber. Use pliers to gently squeeze the fat end of the metal strips together, and disengage the two hooks from the frame.
3. Slide the rubber with the two metal strips out of the frame.
4. Transfer the two metal strips to the new rubber piece.
5. Slide the new rubber with the two metal strips into the frame.
6. Squeeze the fat end of the metal strips together, and engage the hooks on the frame.
7. Reinstall the frame on the arm.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Can an inept owner mess this up?
I'd hate to have to drive only on sunny days

Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Hey guys, there is no "spring" in the wiper frame(***1). There is a spring in the base of the wiper arm. That is the spring that holds the wiper FIRMLY against the window. That is also the one that swings over-center when you lift the wiper far enough clear of the windshield.

The independently replaceable wiper element has integral stiffiner "springs", sometimes plastic but these days mostly a 2-piece stainless steel. There are a few new wiper/frame combinations now in the marketplace, Bosch Icons, wherein the frame has a set curvature molded in but with those there no option(***2) of just replacing the worn out wiper element alone.

***1. Just now disassembled a "dead" Bosch 16" from my '88 911 to be sure.

***2. Unless you are REALLY mechanically inclined.

Last edited by wwest; 10-10-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

So how do you remove the wiper blade from the wiper arm?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

In the last year or so someone in another thread posted a link to toyota service instructions on how to replace a wiper insert. I ended up printing the instructions and filing them for later usae - they can be found at toyota dot com. The bottom of the printed page has a note of "N/N 00405-HOWTO-WIPER" so you might see if you can find it. I think the person also posted a place to buy the inserts for a really reasonable price. Do a search on this forum and see what you can find.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

I've routinely replaced just the inserts and not the whole blade assembly on many cars with no difference in effectiveness. My '98 Honda Odyssey has the original assemblies -- a bit discolored, but they work better than aftermarket whole-arm assemblies I've put on other cars. Cost of inserts from the car manufacturer is typically about the same as cheap aftermarket blade assemblies, but it does cut down on trash.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer replaces the inserts when I take it in for servicing. About $5 per insert and no charge for putting it in. I've changed them myself before (not difficult) but I like letting the dealer do it!

2007 TCH, 50K miles.

John

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I've never replaced the blade insert (rubber) only on my other cars, instead I would replace the whole assembly (the 'frame').
I was told (not sure if it's correct, or not) that the assembly looses tension over time and should be replaced. Doing so, presumably, gives a better wipe (that doesn't sound good, but hopefully you know what I mean).
On the TCH, I really like the look of the assembly. It looks more substantial.
Is it easy to replace the blade only?
Does the assembly need replacement to operate effectively?
Which brand is the best value? Not looking for the cheapest, but not looking to spend an arm and leg, either.
Thanks!

So I read your question and thought to myself 'Hey Al, it's 3 years since you got your TCH and you've never replaced the wiper blades'. I garage the car so weather is not a factor. But I figured I better get new blades even though the current are working effectively.
So I go down to my local dealer Sandy Springs Toyota to get some wiper blade refills. They informed me that they do not sell refills but they'll be happy to sell me the complete assembly for about $35 each.
I asked them if they only sell tires mounted on wheels. The parts guy didn't get the simularity.
I went to a previous GreenHybrid post on wiper blades and odered two blade sets from an on line site at $8 each.
I bought them from http://www.brandsport.com/

Last edited by Al Froio; 10-18-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Al Froio
So I read your question and thought to myself 'Hey Al, it's 3 years since you got your TCH and you've never replaced the wiper blades'. I garage the car so weather is not a factor. But I figured I better get new blades even though the current are working effectively.
So I go down to my local dealer Sandy Springs Toyota to get some wiper blade refills. They informed me that they do not sell refills but they'll be happy to sell me the complete assembly for about $35 each.
I'm amazed that my OEM blades are 2 years old and only now starting to streak (garaged car and relatively mild winters).
I called dealer, they said $16 for the pair of INSERTS and that they'd install them free of charge.
I told him how happy I was with the OEMs and he said that is what they sell.
Sounds good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands